Digital TV News: OTE
Verimatrix introduces DRM for video protection between devices
Apr 1, 2020 – Verimatrix (Paris: VMX) has officially introduced Verimatrix Embedded DRM which offers point-to-point protection to address the gaps that occur when video content is delivered beyond TV, computer or mobile device connections.
News categories: Verimatrix, Martin Bergenwall, Content Protection, Digital TV, Worldwide
Omdia cuts 2020 TV shipment forecast by 10 percentage points
Mar 31, 2020 – Omdia has slashed its 2020 global television shipment outlook by nearly 10 percentage points, with the market now expected to undergo a sharp downturn due to coronavirus mitigation measures initiated by governments worldwide.
News categories: Omdia, Paul Gray, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart TV, Worldwide
Comscore research shows continuing surge in U.S. daytime TV viewing
Mar 31, 2020 – New insights from Comscore (NASDAQ: SCOR) reveal the extent to which U.S. households are now tuning into daytime TV viewership and how television remains a vital outlet for Americans navigating the COVID-19 pandemic.
News categories: Comscore, Bill Livek, Big Data, Digital TV, Market Research, USA
FCC proposed rule change to support ATSC 3.0 distributed transmission
Mar 31, 2020 – The FCC has released a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking seeking comment on proposed rule changes to permit greater flexibility for broadcasters to use distributed transmission systems (DTS) as they deploy ATSC 3.0.
News categories: Federal Communications Commission, ATSC, Digital TV, Regulation, Terrestrial, USA
VideoAmp creates combined Smart TV and STB viewing dataset for the U.S.
Mar 31, 2020 – VideoAmp has launched the most comprehensive and accurate commingled dataset in the US, boasting 26M households and 37M devices. VideoAmp has partnered with two of the largest Smart TV OEMs and 38 MVPDs for its viewership data.
News categories: VideoAmp, Randy Laughlin, Michael Parkes, Jonathan Steuer, Maggie Zhang, Andrea Palmer, Advertising, Big Data, Digital TV, Set Top Box, Smart TV, USA
Roku OS 9.3 begins roll-out
Mar 31, 2020 – Roku (NASDAQ: ROKU) has announced that Roku OS 9.3 will start rolling out to Roku devices. The update offers enhanced help via Roku Voice for consumers to get to content quickly, improves overall performance and adds new customization options and more.
News categories: Roku, Digital TV, Middleware, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Worldwide
Altice Europe terminates discussions on acquisition of Partner Communications
Mar 31, 2020 – Altice Europe (Euronext: ATC & ATCB) has confirmed that its fully owned subsidiary Hot has terminated discussions regarding the potential acquisition of Partner Communications.
News categories: Altice Europe, Partner Communications, Digital TV, IPTV, Israel, MnA
NENT Group to launch Viaplay in Iceland on April 1st
Mar 26, 2020 – NENT Group will launch its Viaplay streaming service in Iceland on 1 April. Viaplay will now be available in all five Nordic countries and will be available through direct subscriptions and third-party partnerships.
News categories: NENT Group, Viaplay, Anders Jensen, Digital TV, Iceland, OTT
COVID-19 response to bolster cloud gaming revenues
Mar 25, 2020 – The need for social distancing and sheltering in home during the COVID-19 pandemic could accelerate the adoption of cloud gaming services among new gamers who are looking for additional sources of entertainment, according to ABI Research.
News categories: ABI Research, Michael Inouye, Apps, Digital TV, Games Console, Market Research, Worldwide
- Verimatrix introduces DRM for video protection between devices
- Omdia cuts 2020 TV shipment forecast by 10 percentage points
- Comscore research shows continuing surge in U.S. daytime TV viewing
- FCC proposed rule change to support ATSC 3.0 distributed transmission
- VideoAmp creates combined Smart TV and STB viewing dataset for the U.S.
- Roku OS 9.3 begins roll-out
- Italian local re-broadcaster RAS goes live with Synamedia virtualized DCM
- Altice Europe terminates discussions on acquisition of Partner Communications
- Asia Pacific set for 417 million SVOD subscribers
- Velocix introduces CDN software for 5G video streaming
- Comscore sees notable rise in U.S. streaming usage
- Movies Anywhere app comes to LG Smart TVs
- Singtel puts HOOQ into liquidation
- COVID-19 pandemic to reduce global TV brand shipments by 5.8% in 2020
- Six million viewers for Italy's tivùsat
- Wicket Labs adds $1.9m of extra funding
- NENT Group to launch Viaplay in Iceland on April 1st
- TV antenna usage in US broadband households up 25% in 2019
- Coronavirus expected to add 5% to global VOD subscriptions in 2020
- COVID-19 response to bolster cloud gaming revenues