Digital TV News: Oculus
Telefónica presents its TV Virtual Experience project at MWC18
Feb 26, 2018 – At Mobile World Congress, Telefónica presented its TV Virtual Experience project, a way of watching TV based on virtual reality. The initiative capitalizes on the full potential of VR technology to access contents from Movistar+ and create 3D worlds.
News categories: Telefónica, Digital TV, MWC19, Spain, VR
CTA predicts record U.S. sales in 2018 for AR/VR
Jan 4, 2018 – Augmented reality (AR) and virtual reality (VR) technologies are positioned for record growth in 2018, according to the CTA. And the latest exhibitor update on CES 2018 shows a record-setting footprint for both AR and VR.
News categories: Consumer Technology Association, Karen Chupka, Mark Turner, CES, USA, VR
Quarterly VR headset shipments top 1 million for the first time
Nov 27, 2017 – Virtual reality headset shipments are showing no signs of slowing, as the quarterly total exceeded 1 million units for the first time in Q3 2017. Sony took the lead, shipping more than 490,000 PlayStation VR (PS VR) sets in the quarter.
News categories: Canalys, Jason Low, Vincent Thielke, Digital TV, Market Research, VR, Worldwide
Amazon announces cloud development platform for AR/VR
Nov 27, 2017 – Amazon Web Services (AWS) [NASDAQ:AMZN], has announced Amazon Sumerian, a service that makes it easy for any developer to build Virtual Reality (VR), Augmented Reality (AR), and 3D applications, and run them on mobile devices, head-mounted displays, digital signage, or web browsers.
News categories: Amazon Web Services, Marco Argenti, VR, Worldwide
Turner Sports and Intel to bring VR to NBA fans
Nov 7, 2017 – Turner Sports and Intel have announced a partnership to make live NBA game action available in virtual reality using Intel True VR technology. Intel will become the Exclusive Provider of Virtual Reality for the NBA on TNT.
News categories: Intel Corp, Turner, NBA, James Carwana, Will Funk, Jeff Marsilio, Digital TV, USA, VR
Wireless VR set to strain data networks
Aug 8, 2017 – A report from Juniper Research on Virtual Reality forecasts that wireless VR headsets (smartphone-based and standalone) data consumption will grow by over 650% over the next 4 years, from nearly 2,800PB (Petabytes) in 2017 to over 21,000PB in 2021.
News categories: Juniper Research, James Moar, Broadband, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart Home, VR, Worldwide
MTG launches Viareal VR app for the Nordic region
May 26, 2017 – MTG has launched Viareal, a virtual reality (VR) app for the Nordic region. Viareal will deliver exclusive VR content and extensions for esports events, and for MTG’s broadcast and streamed entertainment offerings.
News categories: MTG, Anders Jensen, Viktor Ängmo, Apps, Denmark, Digital TV, Finland, Norway, OTT, Sweden, VR
Augmented and VR headset market to reaching 99.4 million units in 2021
Mar 16, 2017 – New device launches, an expanding array of content for both consumer and enterprise users, and lower price points will propel the worldwide augmented and virtual reality headset device market at a breakneck pace, according to IDC.
News categories: International Data Corporation, Ramon Llamas, Jitesh Ubrani, Digital TV, Market Research, VR, Worldwide
Vimeo adds 360 video support
Mar 8, 2017 – Vimeo has introduced support for 360 video. Vimeo aims to provide a home for creators to learn new techniques, upload, share, and sell 360 videos, while viewers can discover 360 videos from the world’s best creators across multiple platforms.
News categories: Vimeo, Anjali Sud, Sara Poorsattar, Digital TV, OTT, VR, Worldwide
- Rakuten Viki selects BuyDRM's KeyOS MultiKey Service
- Dish TV India adds 42,000 subscribers in 3Q 2019
- Wurl powers the delivery of Hollywire to Samsung TV Plus
- U.S. traditional video subscribers down nearly 1.9 million in 3Q 2019
- Swisscom Box integrates voice assistant for TV and smart home control
- INNOPIA, Amlogic and Verimatrix offer Netflix-integrated Hailstorm Hybrid platform
- EU cable revenue hits all-time high of €24 billion in 2018
- Major U.S. pay-TV providers lost 1.74 million subscribers in 3Q 2019
- Disney+ passes 10 million sign-ups since launching
- Orange launches Djingo voice assistant
- Netflix and Nickelodeon form multi-year output deal
- Fincons to present Smart Digital Platform compatible with both HbbTV and ATSC 3.0
- Telefónica announces Movistar Living Apps for its STBs
- Sunrise terminates plan to buy UPC Switzerland
- Astro Malaysia releases Astro Ultra Box
- DVB approves DVB-I specification
- Partner Communications selects Broadpeak for server-side ad insertion
- Irdeto and Amlogic launch Netflix-integrated Hailstorm Hybrid STB platform
- INNOPIA becomes Netflix Hailstorm Hybrid partner with Synaptics and NAGRA
- Synaptics VideoSmart SoC approved for Widevine CAS on Android TV