Digital TV News: Oi
54% of US broadband households now own a smart TV
Jun 24, 2020 – Parks Associates has released a whitepaper which finds more than 50% of US broadband households own at least one smart TV, making the smart TV the primary platform for video services at a time when content consumption is increasing dramatically.
News categories: Parks Associates, Applicaster, Steve Nason, Jonathan Laor, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart TV, USA
Qwest TV partners with Amagi for connected TV distribution
Jun 24, 2020 – Amagi has announced that Qwest TV – the largest VOD catalogue dedicated to jazz, soul, funk, classical and world music - has partnered with Amagi to distribute and monetize its music content to CTV platforms.
News categories: Amagi, Qwest TV, Srinivasan KA, Réza Ackbaraly, Content Distribution, Digital TV, OTT, Worldwide
NENT Group and Elisa to combine streaming services in Finland
Jun 24, 2020 – NENT Group and Elisa have announced that they will bring together their streaming services in Finland in Q4 2020. The combined standalone service will be called Elisa Viihde Viaplay.
News categories: NENT Group, Elisa, Anders Jensen, Veli-Matti Mattila, Digital TV, Finland, MnA, OTT
CBS News expands distribution to app stores in 89 countries
Jun 23, 2020 – The CBS News app has expanded distribution to app stores in 89 countries outside the U.S., including on Amazon Fire TV, Google devices, LG Smart TVs and more, as well as VIZIO SmartCast in the U.S. and Canada.
News categories: CBS News, Christy Tanner, Apps, Digital TV, OTT, Worldwide
Peacock to be available on Google platforms at launch
Jun 23, 2020 – Peacock has announced that it will be available on Google platforms and devices including Android, Android TV devices, Chromecast and Chromecast built-in devices on July 15, 2020.
News categories: Peacock, NBCUniversal, Google, Maggie McLean Suniewick, Matt Bond, Android TV, Apps, Digital TV, OTT, USA
Movies Anywhere now available on VIZIO SmartCast TVs
Jun 23, 2020 – VIZIO has added the MOVIES ANYWHERE app to its SmartCast TV platform. MOVIES ANYWHERE offers a way for users to access movies purchased across platforms and digital retailer accounts, all in one place.
News categories: VIZIO, Movies Anywhere, Mike O'Donnel, Karin Gilford, Digital TV, OTT, Smart TV, USA
Canada's video entertainment spend expected to rebound in 2021
Jun 23, 2020 – Spending on video entertainment in Canada is expected to shrink by 6% this year, but will bounce back strongly in 2021, expanding by 11% to surpass the success of 2019, according to Futuresource Consulting.
News categories: Futuresource Consulting, Tristan Veale, Canada, Digital TV, Market Research
Norigin Media AI-based tool detects ad breaks on catchup TV content
Jun 23, 2020 – Norigin Media has announced an AI-based tool that detects and marks ad breaks on catchup TV content, allowing pay TV operators to explore new monetisation opportunities and offer unique UI/UX experiences on their streaming services.
News categories: Norigin Media, Ajey Anand, Advertising, Big Data, Digital TV, OTT, Worldwide
TDS introduces next-gen TV service: TDS TV+
Jun 22, 2020 – TDS Telecom is bringing a new cloud-based TV service to Wisconsin. TDS TV+ combines live TV, including local and national channels and regional sports content, with streaming services like Netflix, On Demand, and other apps.
News categories: TDS Telecom, Shane West, Julie Maiers, Digital TV, IPTV, USA
- Comscore finds U.S. VOD transactions peaked in April
- Vewd brings the full broadcast experience to Smart TVs
- Dataxis compares Europe, Latam with U.S. AVOD market
- HEVC Advance royalty rates to remain at current levels
- Alphonso signs ACR distribution deals with Seiki and Skyworth
- THEO Technologies and Synamedia form HESP Alliance
- U.S. consumers spend nearly seven hours per week watching online video
- NEXTGEN TV launches at four TV stations in Salt Lake City
- FCC designates Huawei and ZTE as national security threats
- STARZPLAY available from UPC Switzerland
- Verizon Media launches TV tune-in attribution with Inscape
- Eros Now partners with Dish TV India
- NexGuard watermarking integrated into AWS Elemental MediaConvert
- TRAI reports pay TV numbers for India at end-2019
- Altibox takes Verimatrix security into the Cloud
- Consolidated Communications introduces CCiTV in Texas
- Brat TV chooses Amagi to expand streaming TV footprint
- Churn rate for U.S. OTT services at 41% in Q1 2020
- Origin Broadband launches Origin TV in the UK with Netgem
- Mobile operators to generate 170 million SVOD subscribers