Digital TV News: Omdia
Large-area FPD panel availability set to tighten significantly in 2021
May 11, 2020 – According to Omdia, the coronavirus crisis is impacting FPD demand and creating uncertainty. Challenged to maintain profitability in this environment, Korean suppliers have accelerated plans to completely exit LCD TV panel production in Korea in 2020.
News categories: Omdia, Charles Annis, COVID-19, Digital TV, Korea, Market Research, Smart TV, Worldwide
Omdia cuts 2020 TV shipment forecast by 10 percentage points
Mar 31, 2020 – Omdia has slashed its 2020 global television shipment outlook by nearly 10 percentage points, with the market now expected to undergo a sharp downturn due to coronavirus mitigation measures initiated by governments worldwide.
News categories: Omdia, Paul Gray, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart TV, Worldwide
US media players get on AVOD bandwagon as market revenue soars
Dec 10, 2019 – AVOD service providers in the U.S. are bracing themselves as media giants including Disney+ and Apple TV+ join the latest wave of competitors. These huge media firms are upping the ante, drawn by an increasingly lucrative market, according to IHS Markit.
News categories: IHS Markit, Sarah Henschel, Kia Ling Teoh, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, USA
EU cable revenue hits all-time high of €24 billion in 2018
Nov 13, 2019 – Driven by rising consumer demand for broadband services, EU cable revenue rose to a record high of €24 billion in 2018, up 3% from €23.3 billion in 2017, according to the European Broadband Cable Yearbook offered by Cable Europe and IHS Markit.
News categories: IHS Markit, Cable Europe, Maria Rua Aguete, Cable TV, Digital TV, EU, Market Research
Limited reach of Apple TV+ and Disney+ hinders services’ adoption
Oct 10, 2019 – With the Apple TV+ app initially addressing only about half of the total U.S. market, the service is likely to encounter limited subscriber growth compared to competitive offerings that have a wider reach, according to IHS Markit.
News categories: IHS Markit, Fateha Begum, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, USA
U.S.-China trade dispute makes Roku top Smart TV OS in North America
Jul 24, 2019 – According to IHS Markit, the North American TV market has increased its adoption of Smart TVs, particularly those based on the Roku TV OS. Smart TVs in 1Q 2019 accounted for 89% of TV shipments into North America, a record high for the region.
News categories: IHS Markit, Paul Gray, Digital TV, Market Research, Middleware, North America, Smart TV
US-China trade disputes prompt TV makers to cut display panel demand
May 30, 2019 – Amid rising concerns over the intensifying trade war between the U.S. and China, South Korean and Chinese TV makers are cutting panel orders in Q2, according to IHS Markit (Nasdaq: INFO). The reduction in panel demand is intended to cut inventory.
News categories: IHS Markit, Deborah Yang, China, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart TV, Worldwide
- Cinedigm partners with Vewd for global OTT channel distribution
- 3SS and Technicolor upgrade Com Hem Tv Hub to Android P
- Pay TV ARPU at record high levels in the Nordics
- Applicaster Quick Brick Framework speeds video app development
- Evolution Digital launches Android TV device management platform
- Zixi powers 4K UHD Bloomberg TV+ service
- Telekom Malaysia selects Skyworth as 4K Android TV Operator Tier partner
- FourthWall Media adds Neilsen Smart TV ACR data to analytics platform
- TDS Telecom rolls-out IP video and Cloud DVR with Velocix
- A1now selects Vionlabs for AI-powered recommendations
- Global AVOD expenditure to double
- Gem Shopping Network to use Comscore TV measurement
- United Group makes strategic investment in Forthnet
- Disney+ and Apple TV+ both see success during first six months in the market
- Comcast, Charter and ViacomCBS announce Blockgraph partnership
- Britbox app now available on BT TV set-top boxes
- Conviva partners with Akamai on QoE intelligence
- ATRESMEDIA and smartclip deepen HbbTV advertising partnership
- Bouygues Telecom replaces set-top box with Smart TV app
- Comscore, Kantar extend measurement partnership with Auditel Italy