Digital TV News: Qualcomm
Vodafone, Qualcomm and Ericsson to lab test 5G processor and smartphone form factor device
Feb 7, 2019 – Vodafone UK, Qualcomm and Ericsson are conducting ‘over the air’ tests with 5G technology and a device that is similar in size to the 5G mobile phones that are being developed. 5G smartphones will enable extremely high resolution video streaming and gaming on the go.
News categories: Vodafone, Qualcomm, Ericsson, Nick Jeffery, Enrico Salvatori, Thomas Noren, 5G, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Semiconductor, Smartphone, UK
Worldwide semiconductor revenue grew 13.4% in 2018
Jan 7, 2019 – Worldwide semiconductor revenue totaled $476.7 billion in 2018, a 13.4 percent increase from 2017, according to preliminary results by Gartner. Memory strengthened its position as the largest semiconductor category.
News categories: Gartner, Andrew Norwood, Market Research, Semiconductor, Worldwide
Samsung plans HDR10+ certification center with TIRT in China
Dec 23, 2018 – Samsung has announced HDR10+ ecosystem expansion to 45 industry partners and the construction of a new certification center in China. The new partnerships will expand the impact of HDR10+ technology across different market segments.
News categories: Samsung, Hyogun Lee, Irina Grandel, China, Digital TV, OTT, Smart TV, Worldwide
Qualcomm announces Snapdragon 855 with 5G, AI, XR and HDR10+
Dec 5, 2018 – Qualcomm (NASDAQ:QCOM) has unveiled its Snapdragon 855 Mobile Platform, collectively supporting multi-gigabit 5G, AI and immersive extended reality (XR). Snapdragon 855 provides consumers with an upgraded entertainment platform including HDR10+ playback.
News categories: Qualcomm, Alex Katouzian, 5G, Semiconductor, Smartphone, VR, Worldwide
Global semiconductor revenue hits record $120.8 billion in Q2
Aug 22, 2018 – Global semiconductor industry revenue grew 4.4 percent, quarter over quarter, in the second quarter of 2018, reaching a record $120.8 billion. Semiconductor growth occurred in all application markets and world regions, according to IHS Markit (Nasdaq: INFO).
News categories: IHS Markit, Ron Ellwanger, Market Research, Semiconductor, Worldwide
Global semiconductor revenues at $115.8 billion in Q1 2018
Jun 26, 2018 – Global semiconductor industry revenue declined 3.4% in the first quarter of 2018 falling to $115.8 billion. Industry performance was negatively affected by the declining sales and first-quarter seasonality in the wireless communications market, according to IHS Markit (Nasdaq: INFO).
News categories: IHS Markit, Market Research, Semiconductor, Worldwide
ARM announces Mali-V76 with 8K decode support
May 31, 2018 – As the world moves towards UHD 8K content, ARM is ensuring that its IP will support encoding and decoding for content on smartphones and other devices. The Mali-V76 supports 8K decode up to 60fps or four 4K streams at 60fps.
News categories: ARM, Digital TV, Mobile, Silicon IP, Worldwide
Qualcomm reveals first dedicated Extended Reality (XR) platform
May 30, 2018 – Qualcomm (NASDAQ:QCOM) has debuted its Snapdragon XR1 Platform, the world’s first dedicated Extended Reality (XR) platform. XR1 offers mainstream users high-quality XR experiences while enabling OEMs to develop mainstream devices.
News categories: Qualcomm, Alex Katouzian, Digital TV, Semiconductor, Smartphone, VR, Worldwide
Samsung took over no. 1 slot in semiconductor revenue in 2017
Apr 23, 2018 – Driven by strong growth in the memory market, worldwide semiconductor revenue totaled $420.4 billion in 2017, a 21.6 percent increase from 2016 revenue of $345.9 billion, according to final results from Gartner.
News categories: Gartner, George Brocklehurst, Market Research, Semiconductor, Worldwide
- Afghanistan Broadcasting System selects EUTELSAT 53A as its DTH platform
- StarHub pay TV households down 49,000 in 2018
- Encoding.com selected by Akamai as preferred partner for VOD transcoding
- U.S. smart speaker sales will exceed 64 million in 2022
- Brightcove to acquire Ooyala’s online video platform business
- DISH TV down ~380k; Sling TV up ~50k subs in 4Q 2018
- TVSquared partners with TiVo for deterministic attribution
- Telenet designs new YUGO bundle entirely around the smartphone
- FreeWheel chooses Nielsen to power audience-based multiscreen TV advertising
- GTPL Hathway adds 170,000 CATV digital subscribers in 4Q 2018
- Tastemade expands linear OTT footprint with Amagi
- FreeWheel Council for Premium Video Europe releases paper on programmatic technology
- Ethiopian broadcasters take video capacity on EUTELSAT 8 West B
- Survey finds one in four Malaysian consumers use pirate TV boxes
- Digital Voice Assistants in use to triple to 8 billion by 2023
- Amazon to acquire mesh WiFi company, eero
- LiveRamp expands identity solution to include connected TV
- CuriosityStream raises $140M in private placement
- Hong Kong to begin analogue TV switch off on November 30, 2020
- China's online video subscribers to surpass 300 million in 2019