Digital TV News: Qualcomm
Qualcomm announces Snapdragon 855 with 5G, AI, XR and HDR10+
Dec 5, 2018 – Qualcomm (NASDAQ:QCOM) has unveiled its Snapdragon 855 Mobile Platform, collectively supporting multi-gigabit 5G, AI and immersive extended reality (XR). Snapdragon 855 provides consumers with an upgraded entertainment platform including HDR10+ playback.
News categories: Qualcomm, Alex Katouzian, 5G, Semiconductor, Smartphone, VR, Worldwide
Global semiconductor revenue hits record $120.8 billion in Q2
Aug 22, 2018 – Global semiconductor industry revenue grew 4.4 percent, quarter over quarter, in the second quarter of 2018, reaching a record $120.8 billion. Semiconductor growth occurred in all application markets and world regions, according to IHS Markit (Nasdaq: INFO).
News categories: IHS Markit, Ron Ellwanger, Market Research, Semiconductor, Worldwide
Global semiconductor revenues at $115.8 billion in Q1 2018
Jun 26, 2018 – Global semiconductor industry revenue declined 3.4% in the first quarter of 2018 falling to $115.8 billion. Industry performance was negatively affected by the declining sales and first-quarter seasonality in the wireless communications market, according to IHS Markit (Nasdaq: INFO).
News categories: IHS Markit, Market Research, Semiconductor, Worldwide
ARM announces Mali-V76 with 8K decode support
May 31, 2018 – As the world moves towards UHD 8K content, ARM is ensuring that its IP will support encoding and decoding for content on smartphones and other devices. The Mali-V76 supports 8K decode up to 60fps or four 4K streams at 60fps.
News categories: ARM, Digital TV, Multiscreen, Silicon IP, Worldwide
Qualcomm reveals first dedicated Extended Reality (XR) platform
May 30, 2018 – Qualcomm (NASDAQ:QCOM) has debuted its Snapdragon XR1 Platform, the world’s first dedicated Extended Reality (XR) platform. XR1 offers mainstream users high-quality XR experiences while enabling OEMs to develop mainstream devices.
News categories: Qualcomm, Alex Katouzian, Digital TV, Semiconductor, Smartphone, VR, Worldwide
Samsung took over no. 1 slot in semiconductor revenue in 2017
Apr 23, 2018 – Driven by strong growth in the memory market, worldwide semiconductor revenue totaled $420.4 billion in 2017, a 21.6 percent increase from 2016 revenue of $345.9 billion, according to final results from Gartner.
News categories: Gartner, George Brocklehurst, Market Research, Semiconductor, Worldwide
Global semiconductor industry topped $429 billion in 2017
Mar 28, 2018 – The semiconductor industry closed out 2017 in blockbuster fashion, posting the highest year-over-year growth in 14 years. Global semiconductor revenue grew 21.7 percent, reaching $429.1 billion in 2017, according to IHS Markit (Nasdaq: INFO).
News categories: IHS Markit, Shaun Teevens, Craig Stice, Market Research, Semiconductor, Worldwide
DVB launches new DVB-I initiative
Mar 5, 2018 – DVB has agreed terms of reference for a new DVB CM-I group for DVB-I (Internet). DVB CM-I will look into the commercial requirements for standalone linear TV services over broadband Internet.
News categories: DVB Project, Peter MacAvock, Thomas Stockhammer, Peter Lanigan, Digital TV, Europe, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Worldwide
Worldwide semiconductor revenue grew 22.2% in 2017
Jan 4, 2018 – Worldwide semiconductor revenue totalled $419.7 billion in 2017, a 22.2% increase from 2016, according to preliminary results by Gartner. Undersupply helped drive 64% revenue growth in memories, which accounted for 31% of revenue in 2017.
News categories: Gartner, Andrew Norwood, Market Research, Semiconductor, Worldwide
- Androidmov Technology unveils IPTV UX software
- Updated specifications for digital distribution of film and TV released
- 2019 predictions from Openwave Mobility
- EU agrees rules to facilitate access to online TV across borders
- 28% of U.S. smart speaker owners use it to control a smart home device
- Consumer IoT to be worth $6.6bn for telcos
- Viaccess-Orca to power Guigo TV live OTT service in Brazil
- Turkcell chooses Metrological to provide TV+ app store
- Wyplay source code powers Telefónica IPTV in Argentina
- EU to investigate acquisition by Vodafone of Liberty Global businesses
- Verizon begins Fios TV One rollout
- Vubiquity and Discover Digital launch VOD with TelOne Zimbabwe
- Telefonica Spain upgrades Movistar+ UI to add Netflix
- Go See TV and Flowplayer launch Shoppable Content Player
- Nordija wins IPTV contract from US fibre operator Ting
- Deutsche Telekom and MediaKind first to stream 6K tiled 360° live sport
- Shanghai sees world's first 4K UHD live broadcast via 5G network slicing
- Freeview NZ PVR combines Freeview features with streaming apps
- Mirada wins contract with Skytel in Mongolia
- 7Park Data tracks path from SVOD viewing to buying on Amazon.com