Digital TV News: SK Telecom
SVOD and T-VOD drive Korean market to new levels
Apr 6, 2020 – According to Futuresource, 'Super Premium VOD' continues to propel South Korea to be one of the leading transactional VOD markets in the world. The offering allows Korean customers to rent film titles as early as 4 weeks post cinema release.
News categories: Futuresource, Tristan Veale, Digital TV, Korea, Market Research, OTT
Sisvel adds nine members to its VP9 and AV1 licensing platform
Mar 10, 2020 – Sisvel International has announced nine new members to its Video Coding Licensing Platform. The platform includes two, separately offered licensing programs for patents relevant to the VP9 and AV1 video coding formats.
News categories: Sisvel, Mattia Fogliacco, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Licensing, Media Player, Patent, Worldwide
IPTV service revenue in Korea to grow at a CAGR of 4.4% to 2024
Jan 14, 2020 – South Korea’s IPTV revenue is set to grow at a CAGR of 4.4% for the period 2019-2024, according to GlobalData. The country's IPTV service revenue is expected to reach US$3.8bn with a subscriber base of 19.26 million in 2024.
News categories: GlobalData, Akash Jatwala, Digital TV, IPTV, Korea, Market Research, Subscribers
SK Telecom and Sinclair Broadcast launch ATSC 3.0 joint venture
Jan 13, 2020 – SK Telecom (NYSE: SKM) and Sinclair Broadcast (NASDAQ: SBGI) have announced Cast.era, a joint venture focused on cloud infrastructure for broadcasting, ultra-low latency over-the-top (OTT) broadcasting, and targeted advertising.
News categories: Sinclair Broadcast, SK Telecom, Kevin Gage, Lee Jong-min, Park Kyung-mo, Advertising, ATSC, CES2020, Content Distribution, Digital TV, OTT, USA
Pay-TV revenues in S. Korea to grow at a CAGR of 0.7% over 2019-2024
Dec 30, 2019 – Total telecom and pay-TV services revenue in South Korea is expected to decline at a CAGR of 0.3% between 2019 and 2024. Growth in mobile data, fixed broadband and pay-TV segments’ revenues will fail to offset other declines according to GlobalData.
News categories: GlobalData, Deepa Dhingra, Digital TV, Korea, Market Research
AWS compute and storage available at the edge of 5G networks
Dec 3, 2019 – Amazon Web Services (AWS) [NASDAQ: AMZN] has announced AWS Wavelength. Wavelength embeds AWS compute and storage services at the edge of telecommunications providers’ 5G networks, enabling developers to serve use-cases that require ultra-low latency.
News categories: Amazon Web Services, Matt Garman, 5G, Content Distribution, Worldwide
Ericsson releases November 2019 Mobility Report
Nov 25, 2019 – Ericsson (NASDAQ: ERIC) expects average monthly data-traffic-per-smartphone to increase from the current figure of 7.2 GB to 24 GB by the end of 2025, in part driven by new consumer behavior, such as Virtual Reality (VR) streaming.
News categories: Ericsson, Fredrik Jejdling, 5G, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Market Research, Mobile, Smart Home, VR, Worldwide
SK Telecom and Samsung together realise 8K TV powered by 5G
Sep 9, 2019 – SK Telecom (NYSE: SKM) has announced that it has signed an MOU with Samsung to jointly develop and commercialize the world’s first 5G-8K TV. The TV will direct receive 8K video over SK Telecom’s ultra-low latency and ultra-wideband 5G network.
News categories: SK Telecom, Samsung, Park Jin-hyo, 5G, Digital TV, Korea, Smart TV
SK Telecom and Deutsche Telekom partner for 5G
Jun 25, 2019 – SK Telecom (NYSE: SKM) and Deutsche Telekom have agreed to establish a joint venture to develop 5G technologies, including a 5G repeater and a 5G in-building solution, as well as a Multipath UDP solution to manage access and MPEG Media Transport (MMT) technology for low latency media streaming
News categories: SK Telecom, Deutsche Telekom, Park Jung-ho, Timotheus Höttges, 5G, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Europe, Germany, Korea
- Mobile to provide 40% of SVOD subscriptions
- Comscore finds U.S. VOD transactions peaked in April
- Vewd brings the full broadcast experience to Smart TVs
- Dataxis compares Europe, Latam with U.S. AVOD market
- HEVC Advance royalty rates to remain at current levels
- Alphonso signs ACR distribution deals with Seiki and Skyworth
- Market turbulence to boost UK digital video market
- THEO Technologies and Synamedia form HESP Alliance
- U.S. consumers spend nearly seven hours per week watching online video
- NEXTGEN TV launches at four TV stations in Salt Lake City
- FCC designates Huawei and ZTE as national security threats
- STARZPLAY available from UPC Switzerland
- Verizon Media launches TV tune-in attribution with Inscape
- Eros Now partners with Dish TV India
- NexGuard watermarking integrated into AWS Elemental MediaConvert
- TRAI reports pay TV numbers for India at end-2019
- Altibox takes Verimatrix security into the Cloud
- Consolidated Communications introduces CCiTV in Texas
- Brat TV chooses Amagi to expand streaming TV footprint
- Churn rate for U.S. OTT services at 41% in Q1 2020