Digital TV News: SK Broadband
HBO Max launched in the U.S.
May 27, 2020 – WarnerMedia’s streaming platform, HBO Max, has officially launched. The launch is the culmination of efforts to bring the best of WarnerMedia together to launch the new offering, following AT&T’s acquisition of Time Warner.
News categories: WarnerMedia, HBO Max, Bob Greenblatt, Digital TV, OTT, USA
WarnerMedia announces further launch partners for HBO Max
May 20, 2020 – WarnerMedia has announced that the latest companies to sign on to distribute HBO Max at launch include Altice USA, Cox Communications, Microsoft, National Cable Television Cooperative (NCTC), Samsung, Sony Interactive Entertainment and Verizon.
News categories: WarnerMedia, HBO Max, Rich Warren, Apps, Cable TV, Digital TV, Games Console, IPTV, OTT, USA
FCC to vote on plan to clear the way for ATSC 3.0 internet services
May 18, 2020 – FCC Commissioner Brendan Carr has announced that the FCC will vote on his plan to promote the build out of Broadcast Internet services, enabled by ATSC 3.0 and delivered over an efficient one-to-many architecture.
News categories: FCC, Dennis Wharton, Jamie Susskind, ATSC, Broadband, Digital TV, Regulation, USA
Liberty Global and Telefónica to merge UK operations
May 7, 2020 – Liberty Global (NASDAQ: LBTYA, LBTYB, LBTYK) and Telefónica (Madrid: TEF) have agreed to merge their operating businesses in the UK to form a 50:50 joint venture. The combination will create an integrated communications provider with over 46 million subscribers.
News categories: Liberty Global, Telefónica, Mike Fries, Jose Maria Alvarez-Pallete, Cable TV, MnA, Mobile, UK
COVID-19 will drive greater usage of TVOD services in 2020
May 7, 2020 – Parks Associates predicts that consumer usage of TVOD services will increase significantly in 2020. According to the firm, in Q1 2020, 14% of US broadband households had used a TVOD service over the past 30 days, a five-point increase from the previous year.
News categories: Parks Associates, Steve Nason, COVID-19, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, USA
DISH Media offers set-top box VOD inventory programmatically
Apr 22, 2020 – DISH Media has made its VOD ads available for purchase programmatically. Now advertisers can bid on this linear inventory through auctions set up with demand-side platforms and deliver ads and receive impressions immediately.
News categories: DISH Media, The Trade Desk, Kevin Arrix, Tim Sims, Advertising, Digital TV, Set Top Box, USA
Skyline expands operational support for MYTV in Malaysia
Apr 20, 2020 – Skyline Communications has announced an expansion project at MYTV. Skyline will be given more responsibility for the management of MYTV's Digital Media Broadcast Hub, Disaster Recovery Center and DVB-T2 transmitter stations.
News categories: Skyline Communications, MYTV Broadcasting, Naveendran Murthy, Mazlan Mahdi, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Malaysia, QoE, Terrestrial
SVOD and T-VOD drive Korean market to new levels
Apr 6, 2020 – According to Futuresource, 'Super Premium VOD' continues to propel South Korea to be one of the leading transactional VOD markets in the world. The offering allows Korean customers to rent film titles as early as 4 weeks post cinema release.
News categories: Futuresource, Tristan Veale, Digital TV, Korea, Market Research, OTT
NENT Group to launch Viaplay in Iceland on April 1st
Mar 26, 2020 – NENT Group will launch its Viaplay streaming service in Iceland on 1 April. Viaplay will now be available in all five Nordic countries and will be available through direct subscriptions and third-party partnerships.
News categories: NENT Group, Viaplay, Anders Jensen, Digital TV, Iceland, OTT
- Pay TV revenues to plunge to $150 billion
- Sisvel announces first VP9 and AV1 patent licensees
- Comcast to bring HBO Max to Xfinity customers
- HBO Max launched in the U.S.
- Nordic households spending €149pm on media and access services
- SES unveils results of Philippines TV market reception survey
- Over half of U.S. adults watching more TV since the pandemic
- NEXTGEN TV begins broadcasting in Las Vegas
- Shifts in viewing behavior continue during COVID-19 pandemic
- SoftAtHome builds RDK-based video product for service providers
- Nordija integrates Yospace ad insertion technology
- iQIYI partners MediaTek for AV1-powered Ultra HD streaming
- Bitė to acquire Telecentras' IPTV business in Lithuania
- World's fastest internet speed from a single optical chip
- Disney+ attracts 2 million Australian viewers in 4 months
- Global TV shipments to fall 5.8% in 2020
- SpotX expands Measurement and Attribution Suite
- Nordic video markets riding high
- WarnerMedia announces further launch partners for HBO Max
- Tru Optik offers cross-device OTT measurement for free