Digital TV News: Sharp Corp
Global connected TV device installed base hits half a billion units in Q2 2014
Oct 2, 2014 – Worldwide ownership of Connected TV Devices (including smart TVs, smart blu-ray players, IP-enabled game consoles and digital media streamers) grew 7 percent quarter-on-quarter in Q2 2014 to reach 500 million units according to Strategy Analytics.
News categories: Strategy Analytics, David Watkins, Eric Smith, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Games Console, Market Research, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Worldwide
Sharp expands deal with Espial for Smart TVs
Jul 8, 2014 – Espial has announced that Sharp has selected Espial TV Browser for additional mid-range smart TV models in select geographies to offer rich Smart TV Apps and HTML5 user experiences.
News categories: Espial, Sharp Corp, Kirk Edwardson, Digital TV, HTML5, Middleware, Smart TV, Worldwide
Google adds TV device support to Android
Jun 25, 2014 – At Google I/O, Google announced the addition of TV to the platforms supported by its Android operating system. Example devices include TVs, media streamers, connected set-top boxes and micro consoles.
News categories: Android, Android TV, Digital TV, Games Console, Middleware, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Worldwide
ViXS 4K HEVC decoder SoC powers Sharp UltraHD 4K recorder and televisions
May 20, 2014 – ViXS Systems (TSX: VXS) has announced that Sharp has chosen the ViXS XCode 6400 SoC to power its TU-UD1000 Ultra High Definition (UHD) 4K Recorder, as well as its UD20 series UHD 4K digital TVs.
News categories: ViXS Systems, Sharp Corp, Fumitoshi Matsuura, Sally Daub, Digital TV, DVR, Japan, Semiconductor, Smart TV
RVU Alliance launches certification program for 4K devices
Apr 29, 2014 – The RVU Alliance has announced the launch of the RVU Certification program for Ultra High Definition devices, along with an expansion of the RVU membership roster.
News categories: RVU Alliance, Henry Derovanessian, Gateway, QoE, Set Top Box, Smart Home, Smart TV, Worldwide
IC Insights shows big changes in 2013 top 20 semi supplier ranking
Apr 1, 2014 – The top 20 worldwide semiconductor sales leaders for 2013 included nine suppliers headquartered in the U.S., three in Japan, three in Taiwan, three in Europe, and two in South Korea, a relatively broad representation of geographic regions, according to IC Insights.
News categories: IC Insights, Market Research, Semiconductor, Worldwide
Samsung reasserts Smart TV dominance in Q4 2013
Feb 17, 2014 – Samsung retained its leadership position in the global Smart TV market amid the competitive holiday season of Q4 2013 with a 26.4 percent share as TV vendors rapidly deploy Smart TV capabilities, according to Strategy Analytics.
News categories: Strategy Analytics, David Watkins, Eric Smith, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart TV, Worldwide
Espial introduces new version of Espial TV Browser
Aug 14, 2013 – Espial has announced the latest version of its Espial TV Browser. The new version includes picture-in-application, support for live TV tuners embedded in HTML5 apps, intelligent remote control mapping, and support for video trick modes in any HTML5 app.
News categories: Espial, Middleware, OTT
Global LCD TV Shipments Fall for the First Time in 2012
Mar 21, 2013 – Annual global LCD TV shipments declined for the first time ever in 2012, down 1% to 203 million, according to the latest findings from DisplaySearch. Q4 was the only quarter to see any growth, rising 0.6%, but it was not enough to offset declines from the first three quarters.
News categories: DisplaySearch, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart TV
- Fincons Group joins Deutsche TV-Plattform
- Samba TV taps Oracle Moat to measure viewability of CTV ads
- Amazon Prime Video app added to TiVo devices at Atlantic Broadband
- TekSavvy TV launches Cloud PVR and advanced features
- CJ Hello deploys ATEME transcoding solution
- US: Netflix grabs the most attention, but its reign will be challenged
- AWS compute and storage available at the edge of 5G networks
- FOX selects AWS as its cloud and machine learning provider
- TiVo launches Prime Video App to its U.S. pay-TV operator customers
- KPN integrates Amazon Prime Video into the TV menu
- Vodafone UK offers Apple TV 4K with unlimited broadband and mobile data
- A1 Bulgaria launches advanced TV with Zappware
- Tru Optik and Anzu.io to bring targeting to in-game advertising
- 14.5 million Australians now paying TV subscriptions
- EE hosts 5G-powered multi-location augmented reality gig
- Four-fifths of broadcasters considering personalised ads
- 3Q 2019 TV shipments grow 16.8% QoQ owing to peak season
- Worldwide spending on AR/VR expected to reach $18.8bn in 2020
- 13.7 million EU citizens streaming unauthorised IPTV
- WIND-Hellas launching Cloud Recordings with Zappware