Digital TV News: ShowMax
MultiChoice lists on the Johannesburg Stock Exchange
Feb 27, 2019 – MultiChoice Group Limited (MCG) has listed on the Johannesburg Stock Exchange (JSE). The listed MCG includes MultiChoice South Africa (MCSA), MultiChoice Africa Holdings (MAH), Showmax, as well Irdeto, and all their subsidiaries and affiliates.
News categories: MultiChoice, Naspers, Irdeto, Calvo Mawela, Bob van Dijk, Africa, Content Protection, Digital TV, Finance, OTT, Satellite, South Africa, Worldwide
Naspers to separately list and unbundle its Video Entertainment business
Sep 17, 2018 – Naspers has announced its intention to list its Video Entertainment business separately on the Johannesburg Stock Exchange. The new company will be named MultiChoice Group and will include MultiChoice South Africa, MultiChoice Africa, Showmax Africa, and Irdeto.
News categories: Naspers, Multichoice, Bob van Dijk, Imtiaz Patel, Africa, Content Protection, Digital TV, MnA, South Africa, Worldwide
Africa to reach 10 million SVOD subscribers by 2023
Jun 26, 2018 – Digital TV Research has forecast that there will be 9.99 million SVOD subscribers across Sub-Saharan Africa by 2023, up from 1.56 million at the end of 2017. However, revenues will only be $775 million as some platforms are very cheap.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Africa, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, Subscribers
24i Media acquires Mautilus
May 9, 2018 – 24i Media has announced the acquisition of Mautilus, the Czech TV app agency specializing in HbbTV and multiscreen applications. The acquisition strengthens 24i’s technology framework, and increases its production capacity.
News categories: 24i Media, Mautilus, Martijn van Horssen, Rehor Vykoupil, Apps, Czech Republic, Digital TV, HbbTV, MnA, Worldwide
Showmax strikes deal with Play in Poland
May 16, 2017 – Showmax has agreed a partnership with Play, Poland’s fastest-growing mobile operator with more than 14 million subscribers. As part of the deal, complimentary access to Showmax will be made available to all new and existing Play contract customers.
News categories: Showmax, Play, John Kotsaftis, Digital TV, Mobile, OTT, Poland
Vodacom adds lower-priced ShowMax option for mobile customers
Feb 9, 2017 – ShowMax has launched a lower-priced service available exclusively to Vodacom customers on an add-to-bill basis. For R49 per month, subscribers get unlimited access to a comprehensive catalogue of TV shows, movies, kids shows, and documentaries.
News categories: ShowMax, Vodacom, Chris Savides, Digital TV, Mobile, OTT, South Africa
ShowMax is now on Android TV
Dec 6, 2016 – With the release of a new version of its Android app, ShowMax has increased the base of supported devices to include media players and smart TVs running Android TV.
News categories: ShowMax, Barron Ernst, Africa, Android TV, Apps, Digital TV, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, South Africa
MultiChoice launches ARRIS HD PVR with HEVC for streaming
Nov 10, 2016 – MultiChoice has launched the DStv Explora 2 decoder from ARRIS (NASDAQ: ARRS) to customers in South Africa and Sub-Saharan Africa. Its HEVC technology will reduce the bandwidth needed to stream or download shows.
News categories: ARRIS International, Naspers, Steve McCaffery, Gerdus van Eeden, Africa, Digital TV, Media Player, Satellite, Set Top Box, South Africa
ShowMax launches mobile video in Kenya
Oct 5, 2016 – ShowMax has launched a two-tier service for watching TV and movies via the internet in Kenya. ShowMax Premium has a range of international and local content. ShowMax Select is a mobile-first product, paid for using M-PESA.
News categories: ShowMax, John Kotsaftis, Digital TV, Kenya, Mobile, OTT
- ATBiS to manufacture Triveni Digital ATSC 3.0 broadcast gateway
- Sumitomo selects SiTune ISDB-S3 tuner for 4K/8K set-top box
- Synamedia and Triveni Digital partner for ATSC 3.0 video delivery
- Rohde & Schwarz supports 5G Broadcast trial in Brazil
- EU imposes interim measures on Broadcom in TV chipset market
- Globecast provides media operations for Orby TV
- Switch Media unveils fast-to-market OTT platform
- Allegro DVT acquires Amphion Semiconductor
- Australian SVOD poised to break billion-dollar AU$ barrier
- HEVC Advance adds JVCKenwood, NEC, Intellectual Discovery, and Korean Patent Investment as licensors
- TV Time acquires Mediamorph
- Apple TV App and Apple TV+ coming to the Roku platform
- Amobee launches fraud-free guarantee for Connected TV inventory
- GTPL Hathway digital pay TV subscribers up 150,000 in 3Q 2019
- ARK Multicasting and Microsoft partner for rural broadband and cloud services
- Phoenix Model Market adding 2nd NEXTGEN TV transmission site and SFN
- Melita grows TV subscriber base to more than 100,000
- Orange France Livebox 5 powered by SoftAtHome
- Viewers in Australia feel overwhelmed in streaming battleground
- IPTV subscriptions and ARPU to drive pay TV growth in Japan