Digital TV News: Sky
Steady growth masks seismic shifts in US video and TV market
Jan 18, 2019 – Futuresource Consulting has unveiled some seismic shifts in the US entertainment space in two recently published reports. Futuresource estimates that the US video and TV industry saw a 1% rise in consumer spend in 2018.
News categories: Futuresource Consulting, David Sidebottom, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart Home, USA
OTT TV market far from being saturated
Jan 16, 2019 – While there’s a limit to how many SVOD services users are ready to pay for, it is far from being reached, according to Ooyala. In fact, that limit may continue to rise, especially as younger consumers grow older.
News categories: Ooyala, Jim O'Neill, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, Worldwide
NBCUniversal announces Direct-to-Consumer streaming service
Jan 14, 2019 – NBCUniversal has announced the planned launch of a new streaming service providing consumers access to premium content for free, with valuable partnership opportunities for advertisers and distributors.
News categories: NBCUniversal, Bonnie Hammer, Steve Burke, Maggie Suniewick, Digital TV, Europe, OTT, USA
Endeavor video technology with NeuLion becomes Endeavor Streaming
Jan 14, 2019 – Endeavor has announced the formation of Endeavor Streaming, encompassing the company's video streaming products and services. NeuLion, acquired by Endeavor in 2018, will be absorbed within the new group alongside Endeavor's internally developed video platform technology.
News categories: Endeavor Streaming, WWE, Nick Wilson, Will Staeger, Vince McMahon, Content Distribution, Digital TV, OTT, Worldwide
Edgeware to acquire subtitling supplier Cavena Image Products
Jan 11, 2019 – Edgeware has announced that it is to acquire Swedish subtitling expert Cavena Image Products AB. The deal broadens Edgeware’s offering to broadcasters and content owners by adding subtitling automation to its origin solution.
News categories: Edgeware, Cavena, Karl Thedéen, Henrik Moberg, Digital TV, MnA, Multiscreen, OTT, Sweden, Worldwide
CBS will use multiple 8K cameras at the Super Bowl
Jan 9, 2019 – At the Super Bowl, CBS Sports will give viewers unparalleled coverage with its use of virtual augmented reality graphics and 115 cameras, including multiple 8K cameras alongside 16 cameras with 4K capabilities.
News categories: CBS Sports, Digital TV, USA
Germany's video entertainment market at €9bn in 2018
Jan 9, 2019 – The German video market stepped up its dynamic transition in 2018, driven by subscription spending. Consequently, it is the 5th largest in the world with an estimated annual spend of circa €9 billion, according to Futuresource Consulting.
News categories: Futuresource Consulting, Tristan Veale, Digital TV, Germany, Market Research
Sky invests in Synamedia
Jan 8, 2019 – Synamedia has announced that Sky has taken a stake in the business, joining majority shareholder the Permira funds. Both Sky and its parent company Comcast are long-time Synamedia customers as well as strategic development partners.
News categories: Synamedia, Sky, Yves Padrines, Andrew Griffith, Content Distribution, Content Protection, Digital TV, Middleware, MnA, Worldwide
Synamedia makes CES debut
Jan 3, 2019 – Synamedia will bring its newest solutions to CES 2019. The company also unveiled security software that combats the rapid rise in account sharing between friends and families, turning it instead into a new revenue-generating opportunity.
News categories: Synamedia, Yves Padrines, CES2019, Content Distribution, Content Protection, Middleware, Worldwide
- beIN dispute hits MENA pay TV subscribers
- Steady growth masks seismic shifts in US video and TV market
- BlackBerry joins the Velos Media licensing platform
- Singapore to introduce measures against illicit streaming devices
- BritBox surpasses half a million subscribers
- DAZN drives global growth via social video with Grabyo
- Euskaltel decoders now integrate Amazon Prime Video
- Cox Media and Nielsen renew TV and audio measurement agreement
- OTT TV market far from being saturated
- TDG research shows sensitivity of Netflix subscribers to price rises
- Sinclair Broadcast launches free TV streaming service, STIRR
- Wurl launches server-side ad insertion for Connected TVs
- 16% of U.S. broadband households share online video passwords
- OTE agrees to sell Telekom Albania to Albania Telecom Invest
- Mediamorph achieves record customer acquisitions in 2018
- Half of all U.S. video viewing is done with others
- ShortsTV selects Synacor's Cloud Identity Platform
- SpotX releases '2019 Video Advertising Trends' report
- Mirada multiscreen solution launches at One Communications in Bermuda
- Vestel releases first CASTVs with integrated broadcast pay TV