Digital TV News: Strategy Analytics
Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant neck and neck in Smart Speaker market
May 8, 2019 – The Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant platforms will take an almost equal share of the global smart speaker market this year, according to Strategy Analytics. Amazon Alexa's share of sales will decline to 31.7% in 2019, while Google Assistant’s share will rise to 31.4%.
News categories: Strategy Analytics, David Watkins, David Mercer, Market Research, Smart Home, Worldwide
Linux, Android poised to dominate automotive infotainment systems
Apr 29, 2019 – Open source platforms Linux and Android are poised to take a leading role in the automotive infotainment market as OEMs seek to leverage the advantages of the platforms for more flexible, user-friendly infotainment interfaces, according to Strategy Analytics.
News categories: Strategy Analytics, Edward Sanchez, Richard Robinson, Digital TV, In-Car, Market Research, Middleware, Worldwide
UK leads Europe's TV market into cord-cutting era
Apr 25, 2019 – According to Strategy Analytics, declining pay TV subscriptions in the UK suggest that cord-cutting is now beginning to affect the European market. The UK saw a net decline in pay TV households of 424,000 in 2018, the largest decline of any European country.
News categories: Strategy Analytics, Michael Goodman, Digital TV, Europe, Market Research
Majority of US homes to have a Smart Speaker next year
Apr 23, 2019 – There will be more US homes with smart speakers than without by the end of next year, according to Strategy Analytics. The company predicts that the 50% threshold will be reached in late 2020, with the US being the first to reach this level of ownership.
News categories: Strategy Analytics, David Watkins, Market Research, Smart Home, USA
Global 5G smartphone shipments to reach 5 million units in 2019
Apr 17, 2019 – According to Strategy Analytics, global smartphone shipments will reach a modest 5 million units in 2019. Early 5G smartphone models will be expensive and available in limited volumes. Samsung, LG and Huawei will be the early 5G smartphone leaders this year, followed by Apple next year.
News categories: Strategy Analytics, Ken Hyers, Ville Petteri-Ukonaho, Neil Mawston, 5G, Market Research, Smartphone, Worldwide
8K TVs to be in 56 million homes worldwide by 2025
Apr 2, 2019 – 8K TVs are set to achieve modest success over the next few years. Strategy Analytics’ consumer technology adoption models predict that 56 million homes worldwide will own an 8K TV by the end of 2025. The US will be the most successful market.
News categories: Strategy Analytics, Michael Goodman, Digital TV, Market Research, NABShow, Smart TV, Worldwide
Tizen OS leads global Smart TV market
Mar 25, 2019 – According to Strategy Analytics, worldwide sales of smart TVs reached 157 million units in 2018, representing 67% of all TVs sold during the year. Their research found that more than one than one in five Smart TVs sold today run on the Samsung developed Tizen platform.
News categories: Strategy Analytics, David Watkins, David Mercer, Android TV, Digital TV, Market Research, Middleware, OTT, Smart TV, Worldwide
Global smart speaker sales were 86.2 million units in 2018
Feb 19, 2019 – The final results are in and they confirm that smart speakers were the hottest consumer electronics product in 2018. Strategy Analytics’ latest research shows that Q4 shipments grew 95% to 38.5 million units.
News categories: Strategy Analytics, David Watkins, David Mercer, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart Home, Worldwide
Wurl launches server-side ad insertion for Connected TVs
Jan 16, 2019 – Wurl has launched AdSpring for Connected TVs. The cloud-based, turnkey server-side ad insertion (SSAI) solution allows video producers to insert mid-roll ads into linear and VOD programming for distribution to any video service or device.
News categories: Wurl, Sean Doherty, Michael Goodman, Advertising, Content Distribution, Digital TV, OTT, Worldwide
- Wirecard provides international payment services for BluTV
- SUPER RTL selects 3SS for Kividoo Kids service relaunch
- Sony and Microsoft to collaborate on cloud for D2C entertainment and AI
- Insys Video automates celebrity identification and inappropriate content detection
- HbbTV Association adds seven new members
- Beximco launches AKASH DTH in Bangladesh
- b<>com and Viaccess-Orca partner to detect video piracy
- IDC expects worldwide semiconductor revenue to drop 7.2% in 2019
- Pay TV subscribers in Romania up 3% in 2018
- IABM report shows squeezed margins but continuing optimism
- WMYD to host Detroit’s first Next-Gen TV station
- 3SS and Media Distillery team up for ultra-personalized AI-powered TV
- Redbox selects You.i TV to develop React Native app on Roku
- MainStreaming secures $6 million funding
- Survey reveals increasing use of multiple TV sources by viewers in Europe
- SK Telecom to offer world's first live TV sports broadcast over 5G
- Four media measurement bodies form global alliance
- Sony and Chicken Soup for the Soul launch Crackle Plus
- Philo brings streaming TV to WOW! broadband customers
- FreeWheel announces programmatic OTT offering for local TV buyers