Digital TV News: Tizen
Africa Pay TV subscribers to reach 30 million in 2021
Aug 9, 2016 – Pay TV subscribers in Africa will reach 30 million by 2021, up from 16 million in 2015, according to Dataxis. Digital satellite pay TV subscribers are expected to be 20 million in 2021 compared to 8 million for DTT.
News categories: Dataxis, Priscilla Tirvengadum, Africa, Digital TV, Market Research, Satellite, Subscribers, Terrestrial
Mautilus develops Olympics 4K streaming app with Slovak Telekom
Aug 5, 2016 – Mautilus, in cooperation with Slovak Telekom, has prepared the first commercial 4K streaming application in Central and Eastern Europe with Olympic Games content. The streaming is done using the MPEG-DASH protocol with an HEVC video codec.
News categories: Mautilus, Slovak Telekom, Petr Mazanec, Tomas Sustr, Apps, Digital TV, Slovakia, Smart TV
Citizens Fiber chooses Innovative Systems IPTV middleware
Jul 11, 2016 – With their vision to fiber migration and the desire to give their legacy cable TV customers a better experience, Citizens Fiber in southwest Pennsylvania has chosen the APMAX platform from Innovative Systems for the delivery of their IPTV middleware.
News categories: Innovative Systems, Citizens Fiber, Arnie Cutrell, Scott Craig, Digital TV, IPTV, Middleware, USA
Viu launches SVOD in Singapore with Singtel
Jul 8, 2016 – PCCW Media’s OTT video service, Viu, has launched its premium subscription service in Singapore with Singtel, the largest telecommunications company in Singapore, offering viewers unlimited downloads of their favourite content.
News categories: PCCW Media, Singtel, Janice Lee, Digital TV, OTT, Singapore
More than half of TVs shipped in Q1 2016 were Smart
Jun 29, 2016 – More than half of TV sets shipped globally in first quarter 2016 were smart TVs. The acceleration in the uptake of internet-connected TVs was led by China, where four out of five TV sets shipped with smart functionality.
News categories: IHS, Paul Gray, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart TV, Worldwide
Corpus to power AP Fiber TV service
Jun 1, 2016 – Corpus has announced that AP Fiber has chosen its interactive TV middleware, iPlatform, to power entertainment services including live TV, VoD, Catch up TV and Cloud DVR in households in the state of Andhra Pradesh.
News categories: Corpus, AP Fiber, Digital TV, India, Middleware, Set Top Box
EU updates audiovisual rules and presents approach to online platforms
May 25, 2016 – The European Commission has proposed an update of EU audiovisual rules. The proposal also reflects a new approach to online platforms, addressing challenges in different areas.
News categories: European Commission, Digital TV, EU, OTT, Regulation
MENA pay TV households up 10% in 2015
May 22, 2016 – 2015 was the year of growth for the pay TV market in the Middle East and North Africa region. According to IHS (NYSE: IHS), the number of pay TV households jumped 10 percent in 2015 to 4.95 million.
News categories: IHS, Constantinos Papavassilopoulos, Digital TV, Market Research, Middle-East, Subscribers
Nigeria launches DTT pilot in Jos
May 1, 2016 – On April 30th, Nigeria launched the pilot phase of it Digital Broadcasting switch over, with the start of DTT broadcasting in Jos, Plateau State. The switch increases teh number of channels available from five to fifteen.
News categories: Ministry of Information and Culture, Digital TV, Nigeria, Set Top Box, Terrestrial
- Top LatAm pay TV operators continue to dominate
- Majority of Netflix subscribers to be outside US by 2018
- Harmonic to show virtual reality with UHD resolution at IBCShow
- Skyworth claims global number three STB slot
- Video technology players continue to dwindle as platform ownership desires surge
- Varying growth opportunities for Asia Pacific pay-TV service providers
- TDG forecasts significant growth for Social-Mobile video
- ABOX42 to unveil STB with built-in Smart Home Gateway at IBCShow
- Asia’s top operators to gain pay TV market share
- Amino secures software licensing contract with PCCW Media
- 120 million voice-enabled Smart Home devices to ship in 2021
- Major U.S. pay TV operators lose 665,000 subscribers in 2Q 2016
- Worldwide AR/VR revenues to reach $162 billion in 2020
- 4K adoption for OTT set to soar over the next 5 years
- Virgin Media begins update of TiVo STBs
- Freesat launches live audience measurement service
- ABI Research forecasts a flat video software market through 2021
- Next 10 years look upbeat for the U.S. cable industry
- Energy efficient STBs saved US consumers $646m in 2015
- Africa Pay TV subscribers to reach 30 million in 2021