Digital TV News: Tizen
Samsung Electronics announces GAIA security for Smart TVs
Dec 30, 2015 – Samsung Electronics has announced GAIA, a three-layer security solution for its entire 2016 line up of Tizen-based Smart TVs. The service will give consumers protection across all areas of the Smart TV ecosystem, including services, software and hardware security.
News categories: Samsung, Hyun Suk Kim, Content Protection, Digital TV, OTT, Smart Home, Smart TV, Worldwide
RTVE and partners to show 4K HDR over DVB-T2 in Seville
Nov 4, 2015 – At the 4K Summit in Seville, RTVE, in collaboration with Cellnex Telecom, Hispasat, Dolby Laboratories and SAPEC, will present two worldwide premieres that will showcase Ultra HD and also its distribution through the different platforms used by citizens.
News categories: RTVE, Cellnex, Hispasat, Dolby, SAPEC, Digital TV, Infrastructure, Satellite, Spain, Terrestrial
TiVo announces ad-skipping TiVo BOLT
Sep 30, 2015 – TiVo (NASDAQ: TIVO) has introduced the TiVo BOLT. BOLT allows viewers to skip entire commercial breaks in a single bound at the press of a button. The TiVo BOLT combines cable, video on demand, OTA, and OTT sources.
News categories: TiVo Inc, Tom Rogers, Ira Bahr, Cable TV, Digital TV, OTT, Set Top Box, Terrestrial, USA
Global CE market grows thanks to Ultra HD TV and Bluetooth
Sep 2, 2015 – According to GfK, consumer electronics sales by value rose in the first six months of 2015. Innovative solutions, such as Ultra HD technology, sound bars or multi-room systems are the primary drivers of growth potential in the TV and audio segment.
News categories: GfK, Digital TV, IFA15, Market Research, Smart TV, Worldwide
EU seeks views on Europe's audiovisual media rules
Jul 6, 2015 – The European Commission has announced a public consultation on the current framework regulating Europe's audiovisual media landscape. The consultation seeks feedback from stakeholders (market players, public organisations, consumer organisations) but also from viewers themselves.
News categories: European Commission, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cable TV, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Digital TV, Estonia, EU, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, IPTV, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Mobile, Netherlands, OTT, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Satellite, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Terrestrial, UK
All Samsung 2015 TVs to be Tizen-based
Dec 31, 2014 – Samsung has announced that all of its Smart TVs in 2015 will be built around the Tizen operating system. Tizen, a standardized open-source platform, allows developers to create compatible content, while connecting users to a world of entertainment possibilities.
News categories: Samsung, Tizen, Won Jin Lee, CES2016, Digital TV, Middleware, Smart TV, USA, Worldwide
1.9 connected TV devices per broadband household in USA
Dec 10, 2014 – Ownership of Connected TV Devices (including smart TVs, smart blu-ray players, IP-enabled game consoles and digital media streamers) in the U.S. grew 5 percent quarter-on-quarter in Q3 2014 and 28 percent year-on-year to reach 168 million units.
News categories: Strategy Analytics, David Watkins, Eric Smith, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Games Console, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, USA
StarTimes introduces FTA satellite TV in Kenya
Nov 10, 2014 – StarTimes has announced that Kenyans can now access local channels free upon the expiry of their monthly subscription to its satellite TV service. New customers receive two free months of pay TV when purchasing the StarTimes installation kit.
News categories: StarTimes, Mark Lisboa, Digital TV, Kenya, Satellite, Set Top Box
TV makers re-assessing smart TV strategies due to limited return on investment
Nov 7, 2014 – Smart TV sales reached 90 million units worldwide in 2013 and will grow at 21% CAGR to reach 228 million in 2018, according to Futuresource Consulting. However the industry may be re-assessing its smart TV strategy, due to limited return on the investment.
News categories: Futuresource Consulting, Jack Wetherill, Digital TV, Market Research, Middleware, OTT, Smart TV, Worldwide
- HIGH TV 4K launches in India on digital TV platforms
- 81% of US households have a DVR, Netflix, or use VOD
- MyLiveGuard connected home service added to NetRange Portal
- Huawei, Expway partner for video quality standardisation
- Videocon d2h launches connected set-top box
- Windstream expands Kinetic TV into Texas
- Bang & Olufsen launches BeoLink SmartHome
- STB shipments to SAARC region grew 52% in 2015
- Accenture powers SKY On Demand in the Philippines
- Charter adds 29,000 residential video customers in 4Q 2015
- Freesat now available in 1.93 million homes
- Swisscom TV adds 166,000 subscribers in 2015
- Vodafone adds 200,000 TV customers in 4Q 2015
- Technicolor withdraws from the HEVC Advance patent pool
- M-Net unveils GoTV DTT service for South Africa
- Kazakhstan's Alma TV to launch IPTV in the first half of 2016
- Comcast video subscribers up 89,000 in 4Q 2015
- Dish TV India adds 317,000 net subscribers in 4Q 2015
- Dialog Semi offers power management ICs for STBs and Smart TVs
- DEN Networks adds 1.7 million digital cable subscribers in 2015