Digital TV News: Tizen
All Samsung 2015 TVs to be Tizen-based
Dec 31, 2014 – Samsung has announced that all of its Smart TVs in 2015 will be built around the Tizen operating system. Tizen, a standardized open-source platform, allows developers to create compatible content, while connecting users to a world of entertainment possibilities.
News categories: Samsung, Tizen, Won Jin Lee, CES, Digital TV, Middleware, Smart TV, USA, Worldwide
1.9 connected TV devices per broadband household in USA
Dec 10, 2014 – Ownership of Connected TV Devices (including smart TVs, smart blu-ray players, IP-enabled game consoles and digital media streamers) in the U.S. grew 5 percent quarter-on-quarter in Q3 2014 and 28 percent year-on-year to reach 168 million units.
News categories: Strategy Analytics, David Watkins, Eric Smith, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Games Console, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, USA
StarTimes introduces FTA satellite TV in Kenya
Nov 10, 2014 – StarTimes has announced that Kenyans can now access local channels free upon the expiry of their monthly subscription to its satellite TV service. New customers receive two free months of pay TV when purchasing the StarTimes installation kit.
News categories: StarTimes, Mark Lisboa, Digital TV, Kenya, Satellite, Set Top Box
TV makers re-assessing smart TV strategies due to limited return on investment
Nov 7, 2014 – Smart TV sales reached 90 million units worldwide in 2013 and will grow at 21% CAGR to reach 228 million in 2018, according to Futuresource Consulting. However the industry may be re-assessing its smart TV strategy, due to limited return on the investment.
News categories: Futuresource Consulting, Jack Wetherill, Digital TV, Market Research, Middleware, OTT, Smart TV, Worldwide
Samsung announces Tizen-based Samsung TV SDK
Jun 1, 2014 – Samsung has announced plans to release Tizen-based Samsung TV SDK, marking the industry’s first Software Development Kit (SDK) that allows developers to build applications for the Tizen-based TV.
News categories: Samsung, Tizen, YoungKi Byun, Apps, Digital TV, Middleware, Smart TV, Worldwide
ER-Telecom announces new STB from Humax
May 12, 2014 – Russia's ER-Telecom has announced the availability of a new set-top box for its Dom.ru TV service. The box, manufactured by Humax, offers access via mobile as well as video-on-demand and content search.
News categories: ER-Telecom, Humax, Cable TV, Content Protection, Digital TV, Multiscreen, Russia, Set Top Box, TV Everywhere
CRTC consults on the future of the Canadian television system
Apr 24, 2014 – The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) has announced a public hearing on the future of the country's television system starting on September 8, 2014, in the National Capital Region.
News categories: CRTC, Cable TV, Canada, Digital TV, IPTV, Regulation, Satellite
upc cablecom takes final steps from analogue to digital television
Apr 11, 2014 – On 3 June 2014 upc cablecom will be updating analogue television for the last time in German-speaking Switzerland and in parts of French-speaking Switzerland. In 2015 upc cablecom is stopping analogue services altogether.
News categories: upc cablecom, Cable TV, Digital TV, Switzerland
ASTRA 5B satellite launch success on Ariane 5
Mar 22, 2014 – SES (Paris and Luxembourg: SESG) has announced that the ASTRA 5B satellite was successfully orbited by an Ariane 5 rocket from the European spaceport in Kourou, French Guyana, at 19:04 local time on March 22nd, 2014.
News categories: SES S.A, Romain Bausch, François Auque, Antonio Tajani, Europe, Infrastructure, Satellite
- Wyplay integrates V-Nova PERSEUS video compression technology
- AT&T U-Verse TV adds 50,000 subscribers in 1Q 2015
- Worldwide semiconductor sales expected to grow 4% in 2015
- Nagra enables StarHub to deliver IPTV offering to all-IP fibre network
- 802.11ac Wi-Fi CPE shipments to hit 71 million units in 2015
- Broadcom reports first quarter 2015 results
- Nagra introduces new secure Google Chrome web browser plug-in for pay-TV operators
- TR-069-enabled devices to pass 350 million in 2016
- Sequans and Expway deliver LTE Broadcast over Wi-Fi solution
- Verizon adds 90,000 net FiOS Video connections in 1Q 2015
- OTT TV market to increase fourfold by 2019
- Telekom Slovenije selects Viaccess-Orca player for OTT delivery
- Frog by Wyplay powers Sky Italia HD decoders
- Netflix' international business yet to turn a profit
- Global 4K display market to reach $52 billion in 2020
- HUMAX joins Frog by Wyplay
- One million IPTV customers for Bell Canada
- South Africa's digital TV transition 18 months from completion
- Video infrastructure markets to grow 37% over the next 5 year
- Montenegro pay TV subscribers up 2,346 in 1Q 2015