Digital TV News: Tizen
1.9 connected TV devices per broadband household in USA
Dec 10, 2014 – Ownership of Connected TV Devices (including smart TVs, smart blu-ray players, IP-enabled game consoles and digital media streamers) in the U.S. grew 5 percent quarter-on-quarter in Q3 2014 and 28 percent year-on-year to reach 168 million units.
News categories: Strategy Analytics, David Watkins, Eric Smith, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Games Console, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, USA
StarTimes introduces FTA satellite TV in Kenya
Nov 10, 2014 – StarTimes has announced that Kenyans can now access local channels free upon the expiry of their monthly subscription to its satellite TV service. New customers receive two free months of pay TV when purchasing the StarTimes installation kit.
News categories: StarTimes, Mark Lisboa, Digital TV, Kenya, Satellite, Set Top Box
TV makers re-assessing smart TV strategies due to limited return on investment
Nov 7, 2014 – Smart TV sales reached 90 million units worldwide in 2013 and will grow at 21% CAGR to reach 228 million in 2018, according to Futuresource Consulting. However the industry may be re-assessing its smart TV strategy, due to limited return on the investment.
News categories: Futuresource Consulting, Jack Wetherill, Digital TV, Market Research, Middleware, OTT, Smart TV, Worldwide
Samsung announces Tizen-based Samsung TV SDK
Jun 1, 2014 – Samsung has announced plans to release Tizen-based Samsung TV SDK, marking the industry’s first Software Development Kit (SDK) that allows developers to build applications for the Tizen-based TV.
News categories: Samsung, Tizen, YoungKi Byun, Apps, Digital TV, Middleware, Smart TV, Worldwide
ER-Telecom announces new STB from Humax
May 12, 2014 – Russia's ER-Telecom has announced the availability of a new set-top box for its Dom.ru TV service. The box, manufactured by Humax, offers access via mobile as well as video-on-demand and content search.
News categories: ER-Telecom, Humax, Cable TV, Content Protection, Digital TV, Multiscreen, Russia, Set Top Box, TV Everywhere
CRTC consults on the future of the Canadian television system
Apr 24, 2014 – The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) has announced a public hearing on the future of the country's television system starting on September 8, 2014, in the National Capital Region.
News categories: CRTC, Cable TV, Canada, Digital TV, IPTV, Regulation, Satellite
upc cablecom takes final steps from analogue to digital television
Apr 11, 2014 – On 3 June 2014 upc cablecom will be updating analogue television for the last time in German-speaking Switzerland and in parts of French-speaking Switzerland. In 2015 upc cablecom is stopping analogue services altogether.
News categories: upc cablecom, Cable TV, Digital TV, Switzerland
ASTRA 5B satellite launch success on Ariane 5
Mar 22, 2014 – SES (Paris and Luxembourg: SESG) has announced that the ASTRA 5B satellite was successfully orbited by an Ariane 5 rocket from the European spaceport in Kourou, French Guyana, at 19:04 local time on March 22nd, 2014.
News categories: SES S.A, Romain Bausch, François Auque, Antonio Tajani, Europe, Infrastructure, Satellite
European HbbTV accessibility project launched
Mar 19, 2014 – The HBB4All consortium has announced the start of the European project HBB4ALL (Hybrid Broadcast Broadband for All). The project addresses media accessibility for all citizens in the connected TV environment.
News categories: HBB4All, EU, HbbTV
- Canal Digital Kabel-TV goes live with ADB Multi-screen
- Comcast launches Xfinity in UHD app for Samsung TVs
- Worldwide CE market forecast to grow 4.5% this year
- LG to unveil webOS 2.0 Smart TV platform at CES 2015
- DISH first major US pay TV provider to integrate Netflix
- Play Cast Maldives receives cable TV licence
- Broadcom STB platform to accelerate Mexico's transition to digital TV
- 2.3 million active smartcards for Italy's TivùSat
- Cello Electronics TVs to offer Stream TV glasses-free 3D
- Belgium's Mobistar starts trials of its internet and digital TV services
- Wyplay connects STBs with SIGFOX IoT network
- Multi-Gigabit cable broadband speeds get closer for consumers
- Broadcom introduces first GPS-enabled device for satellite outdoor units
- 43.9% of French TV households have TV-over-ADSL
- Espial showcases RDK, 4K, OTT and HTML5 TV user experiences at CES 2015
- HBO GO now available on Amazon Fire TV
- Deluxe expands 4K UHD capabilities of Deluxe OnDemand™
- BT enters into exclusive negotiations to acquire EE
- Poland’s nc+ extends capacity agreement with Eutelsat
- Carr Communications selects Inca Networks transcoder for IPTV service