Digital TV News: Tizen
Samsung announces Tizen-based Samsung TV SDK
Jun 1, 2014 – Samsung has announced plans to release Tizen-based Samsung TV SDK, marking the industry’s first Software Development Kit (SDK) that allows developers to build applications for the Tizen-based TV.
News categories: Samsung, Tizen, YoungKi Byun, App, Digital TV, Middleware, Smart TV, Worldwide
ER-Telecom announces new STB from Humax
May 12, 2014 – Russia's ER-Telecom has announced the availability of a new set-top box for its Dom.ru TV service. The box, manufactured by Humax, offers access via mobile as well as video-on-demand and content search.
News categories: ER-Telecom, Humax, Cable TV, Content Protection, Digital TV, Multiscreen, Russia, Set Top Box, TV Everywhere
CRTC consults on the future of the Canadian television system
Apr 24, 2014 – The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) has announced a public hearing on the future of the country's television system starting on September 8, 2014, in the National Capital Region.
News categories: CRTC, Cable TV, Canada, Digital TV, IPTV, Regulation, Satellite
upc cablecom takes final steps from analogue to digital television
Apr 11, 2014 – On 3 June 2014 upc cablecom will be updating analogue television for the last time in German-speaking Switzerland and in parts of French-speaking Switzerland. In 2015 upc cablecom is stopping analogue services altogether.
News categories: upc cablecom, Cable TV, Digital TV, Switzerland
ASTRA 5B satellite launch success on Ariane 5
Mar 22, 2014 – SES (Paris and Luxembourg: SESG) has announced that the ASTRA 5B satellite was successfully orbited by an Ariane 5 rocket from the European spaceport in Kourou, French Guyana, at 19:04 local time on March 22nd, 2014.
News categories: SES S.A, Romain Bausch, François Auque, Antonio Tajani, Europe, Infrastructure, Satellite
European HbbTV accessibility project launched
Mar 19, 2014 – The HBB4All consortium has announced the start of the European project HBB4ALL (Hybrid Broadcast Broadband for All). The project addresses media accessibility for all citizens in the connected TV environment.
News categories: HBB4All, EU, HbbTV
ADB is first to market with MPEG-DASH implementation
Jan 6, 2014 – ADB (SIX: ADBN) has announced that it is first to market with a commercial MPEG-DASH (Dynamic Adaptive Streaming over HTTP) implementation, making standardised video delivery via the internet a reality for the first time.
News categories: Advanced Digital Broadcast, Tivù, Alberto Sigismondi, Peter Balchin, Digital TV, DRM, Italy, Middleware, OTT, Set Top Box
Installed base of internet-connected video devices to exceed global population in 2017
Oct 8, 2013 – More than 8 billion Internet-connected video devices will be installed worldwide in 2017, exceeding the population of the planet, according to research from the Broadband Technology Service at IHS (NYSE: IHS).
News categories: IHS Inc, Merrick Kingston, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Games Console, Market Research, OTT, PC Video, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Smartphone, Tablet
Sentech announces launch of FREEVISION in South Africa
Sep 30, 2013 – SENTECH, South Africa's state-owned broadcasting signal distributor has announced that from 30 September 2013 the Company will rebrand its Vivid service as 'FREEVISION', a Universal Access Direct-To-Home Satellite (DTH-S) platform.
News categories: SENTECH, Dr Setumo Mohapi, Digital TV, Satellite, South Africa
- Comporium adds ARRIS TV-everywhere box to its offer
- Satellite TV revenues to reach $100 billion
- STMicroelectronics Reports 2014 Second Quarter Financial Results
- Broadcom reports second quarter 2014 results
- Pay TV operator software spending shrinks in developed markets
- UK's YouView plans expansion
- Dish TV India adds 332 thousand subscribers in 2Q 2014
- Verizon adds 100,000 FiOS Video connections in 2Q 2014
- Comcast video subscribers down 144,000 in 2Q 2014
- Most sub-Saharan countries to miss 2015 TV switchover deadline
- Netflix adds 1.69 million members in 2Q 2014
- América Móvil pay TV subscribers pass 20 million
- Türk Telekom IPTV subscribers down 6,000 in 2Q 2014
- U.S. ownership of connected TV devices to grow 100% by 2017
- Global pay TV market to generate $280.4 billion in 2014
- Solbox streaming server supports HEVC and MPEG-DASH for Ultra HD
- Videocon d2h chooses Broadcom for HD Satellite DVR
- Beamly announces support for Android TV
- ARRIS and Wurl introduce OTT content portal for cable operators
- VBox TV gateway records live TV directly to home network storage