Digital TV News: Tizen
Samsung announces Tizen-based Samsung TV SDK
Jun 1, 2014 – Samsung has announced plans to release Tizen-based Samsung TV SDK, marking the industry’s first Software Development Kit (SDK) that allows developers to build applications for the Tizen-based TV.
News categories: Samsung, Tizen, YoungKi Byun, Apps, Digital TV, Middleware, Smart TV, Worldwide
ER-Telecom announces new STB from Humax
May 12, 2014 – Russia's ER-Telecom has announced the availability of a new set-top box for its Dom.ru TV service. The box, manufactured by Humax, offers access via mobile as well as video-on-demand and content search.
News categories: ER-Telecom, Humax, Cable TV, Content Protection, Digital TV, Multiscreen, Russia, Set Top Box, TV Everywhere
CRTC consults on the future of the Canadian television system
Apr 24, 2014 – The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) has announced a public hearing on the future of the country's television system starting on September 8, 2014, in the National Capital Region.
News categories: CRTC, Cable TV, Canada, Digital TV, IPTV, Regulation, Satellite
upc cablecom takes final steps from analogue to digital television
Apr 11, 2014 – On 3 June 2014 upc cablecom will be updating analogue television for the last time in German-speaking Switzerland and in parts of French-speaking Switzerland. In 2015 upc cablecom is stopping analogue services altogether.
News categories: upc cablecom, Cable TV, Digital TV, Switzerland
ASTRA 5B satellite launch success on Ariane 5
Mar 22, 2014 – SES (Paris and Luxembourg: SESG) has announced that the ASTRA 5B satellite was successfully orbited by an Ariane 5 rocket from the European spaceport in Kourou, French Guyana, at 19:04 local time on March 22nd, 2014.
News categories: SES S.A, Romain Bausch, François Auque, Antonio Tajani, Europe, Infrastructure, Satellite
European HbbTV accessibility project launched
Mar 19, 2014 – The HBB4All consortium has announced the start of the European project HBB4ALL (Hybrid Broadcast Broadband for All). The project addresses media accessibility for all citizens in the connected TV environment.
News categories: HBB4All, EU, HbbTV
ADB is first to market with MPEG-DASH implementation
Jan 6, 2014 – ADB (SIX: ADBN) has announced that it is first to market with a commercial MPEG-DASH (Dynamic Adaptive Streaming over HTTP) implementation, making standardised video delivery via the internet a reality for the first time.
News categories: Advanced Digital Broadcast, Tivù, Alberto Sigismondi, Peter Balchin, Digital TV, DRM, Italy, Middleware, OTT, Set Top Box
Installed base of internet-connected video devices to exceed global population in 2017
Oct 8, 2013 – More than 8 billion Internet-connected video devices will be installed worldwide in 2017, exceeding the population of the planet, according to research from the Broadband Technology Service at IHS (NYSE: IHS).
News categories: IHS Inc, Merrick Kingston, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Games Console, Market Research, OTT, PC Video, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Smartphone, Tablet
Sentech announces launch of FREEVISION in South Africa
Sep 30, 2013 – SENTECH, South Africa's state-owned broadcasting signal distributor has announced that from 30 September 2013 the Company will rebrand its Vivid service as 'FREEVISION', a Universal Access Direct-To-Home Satellite (DTH-S) platform.
News categories: SENTECH, Dr Setumo Mohapi, Digital TV, Satellite, South Africa
- UK's Freesat adds 8,000 TV homes in 3Q 2014
- Quantenna and SoftAtHome partner for wireless home networks
- DTG Testing Freesat SI/PSI test suite release now available for download
- Turkcell TV+ set-top box launches in Turkey
- Subisu Cablenet launches digital TV in Nepal
- DIRECTV Latin America launches DLA-1 satellite
- Eastlink launches Wireless TV in Canada
- CBS offers its programmes direct to consumers
- BSkyB adds 46,000 TV customers in 3Q 2014
- Netflix adds 3 million members in 3Q 2014
- Konka chooses DivX HEVC for 4K TVs
- Google announces Nexus Player Android TV box
- Thailand adds 2.8 million households to DTV voucher scheme
- HBO to offer a stand-alone HBO streaming service in 2015
- Sling Media and ViXS team on Network Transcoder for MSOs and MVPDs
- CPE revenue to expand by $1.8 billion this year
- Marketing begins for Tablet TV launch in the U.S.
- Walmart makes customers' DVDs available on VUDU
- Entone, Etex and i-Velozity offer turnkey Hybrid CATV solution
- Pay TV growth in Latin America moderates in Q3 2014