Digital TV News: UltraViolet
Sony to launch 4K streaming service on April 4th
Mar 29, 2016 – Sony Pictures Home Entertainment has announced that the studio’s new 4K Ultra HD movie streaming service, ULTRA, will debut April 4, 2016 on new Sony 4K television models in the United States.
News categories: Sony Pictures, Sony Electronics, Jake Winett, Mike Fasulo, Digital TV, OTT, Smart TV, USA
SCSA releases VIDITY licensing specifications
Aug 26, 2015 – The Secure Content Storage Association (SCSA) has released licensing specifications for its VIDITY technology, which enables secure delivery of entertainment, including locally stored playback of 4K Ultra HD and HD movies across multiple devices.
News categories: SCSA, David Huerta, Content Protection, Digital TV, Mobile, OTT, Worldwide
EzyFlix TV closes
Aug 19, 2015 – EzyFlix.tv has closed. Launched by online retailer, Access Digital Entertainment (ADE), the transactional video-on-demand and download-to-own service was available in Australia and New Zealand.
News categories: EzyFlix, Australia, Digital TV, New Zealand, OTT
Carrefour to debut Nolim Films digital video service
Jan 27, 2015 – Carrefour has announced that, starting on 27 January, it will be expanding Nolim.fr – its cultural platform – to include Nolim Films, a virtual video library, featuring nearly 3000 films and TV series.
News categories: Carrefour, Nolim, Digital TV, France, OTT
TV and movies, not short-form video, to drive online video market
Jan 16, 2015 – According to ABI Research, the online video market is expected to reach over US$56 billion by 2019, with a 6 year CAGR of 23.1%. Short-form video is expected to make up US$13 billion of the total.
News categories: ABI Research, Michael Inouye, Sam Rosen, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, Worldwide
GoLive selects DivX OmniView to power Smart TV OTT service
Jan 5, 2015 – DivX has announced that GoLive Movie has selected its DivX OmniView to power the secure delivery on-demand movie content to smart TVs. The service will be available initially in China on televisions from TCL.
News categories: DivX, TCL, Dr. Kanaan Jemili, Apps, CES, China, Digital TV, OTT, Smart TV
VUDU entertainment service launches on TiVo
Oct 30, 2014 – TiVo (NASDAQ: TIVO) has announced the launch of VUDU, Walmart's subscription-free, VOD movie service to TiVo® devices. The VUDU application enables users to rent or purchase movies and TV shows, as well as access an Ultraviolet cloud library.
News categories: TiVo Inc, VUDU, Tara Maitra, Apps, Digital TV, OTT, Set Top Box, USA
UK's blinkbox goes UltraViolet
Oct 14, 2014 – blinkbox has introduced digital movie and TV locker service UltraViolet to allow customers to build a digital collection from select physical discs they have bought in-store and access them via the service.
News categories: blinkbox, UltraViolet, Tesco, Adrian Letts, Mark Teitell, Ian Ditcham, Content Protection, Digital TV, OTT, UK
Mobiles with 4K screens to reach 478m units by 2019
Aug 15, 2014 – 2015 will see the launch of 4K/Ultra HD mobile devices. Considering the relatively close proximity of the screen to the user it is possible for some consumers to see and benefit from these higher resolutions.
News categories: ABI Research, Sam Rosen, Digital TV, Market Research, Mobile, Worldwide
- New global launch dates confirmed for Disney+
- Viacom and ACCESS partner on automotive TV in Germany
- Australians turn to multiple subscriptions for entertainment
- Broadband usage patterns provide clues to imminent cord-cutting
- TELUS Home Assistant giving Optik TV customers hands-free voice control
- Amobee launches data marketplace for connected TV and multiscreen advertising
- Sky Media reveals power of addressable TV
- Charter agrees deal to distribute Disney streaming services
- Consolidated launches TV over Fiber-to-the-Premises in Columbia County, New York
- Global smart speaker sales grow 96% to 30.3 million in Q2 2019
- Comscore to provide measurement for Xandr's addressable offering
- CBS and Viacom to combine
- U.S. STB energy agreement savings top $5 billion
- GO Malta deploys Edgeware solutions for multiscreen TV
- Major U.S. pay-TV providers lost ~1.53 million subscribers in 2Q 2019
- Most smart speakers and video streamers are energy efficient
- Consolidated Communications launches CCiTV in Southern Maine
- HONOR Vision first smart screen device with Huawei's HarmonyOS
- Smart speakers with screens took off in 2018
- LG Uplus adds 92,000 IPTV subscribers in 2Q 2019