Digital TV News: Walt Disney Company
Disney+ launches in the U.S., Canada and the Netherlands
Nov 12, 2019 – Disney+, from The Walt Disney Company, is now live in the U.S., Canada and the Netherlands, bringing together for the first time a lineup of content from Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, National Geographic and more.
News categories: The Walt Disney Company, Robert A. Iger, Apps, Canada, Digital TV, Netherlands, OTT, USA
Verizon to give customers 12 months of Disney+
Oct 22, 2019 – Verizon and The Walt Disney Company have announced an agreement that will offer all Verizon wireless unlimited customers, new Fios Home Internet and 5G Home Internet customers 12 months of Disney+. The agreement will provide another reason for customers to choose Verizon.
News categories: Verizon, The Walt Disney Company, Hans Vestberg, Kevin Mayer, Digital TV, OTT, USA
Disney renews PlayStation Vue distribution agreement
Sep 27, 2019 – The Walt Disney Company has agreed the continued deliver of its lineup of sports, news and entertainment content to PlayStation Vue customers. The agreement includes the newly acquired FX and National Geographic networks as well as ESPN's newly launched ACC Network.
News categories: Walt Disney, PlayStation, Sean Breen, Digital TV, Gaming, OTT, USA
New global launch dates confirmed for Disney+
Aug 19, 2019 – The Walt Disney Company’s Direct-to-Consumer and International (DTCI) segment has confirmed that Disney+ will launch in Canada and the Netherlands, in tandem with the U.S., on November 12 and in Australia and New Zealand on November 19.
News categories: Disney+, Australia, Canada, Digital TV, Netherlands, New Zealand, OTT, USA
Charter agrees deal to distribute Disney streaming services
Aug 14, 2019 – Charter Communications (NASDAQ: CHTR) and The Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS) have agreed terms for the continued deliver of Disney content to Spectrum customers. The deal also covers Charter’s future distribution of Disney’s streaming services, including Hulu, ESPN+ and the upcoming Disney+.
News categories: Disney, Charter Communications, Sean Breen, Tom Montemagno, Cable TV, Content Protection, Digital TV, OTT, USA
Disney and Comcast agree on Hulu's future governance and ownership
May 14, 2019 – Disney (NYSE: DIS) and Comcast (NASDAQ: CMCSA) have announced that Disney will assume full operational control of Hulu, effective immediately, in return for Disney and Comcast entering into a 'put/call' agreement regarding NBCUniversal’s 33% ownership interest in Hulu.
News categories: Comcast, Disney, Digital TV, MnA, OTT, USA
Disney+ set to launch in U.S. on November 12
Apr 11, 2019 – The Walt Disney Company has presented an extensive overview of its comprehensive direct-to-consumer strategy, including presentations on Hulu, Hotstar, ESPN+, and the upcoming Disney+ service at its Investor Day, which took place on the Company’s studio lot.
News categories: Walt Disney Company, Robert A. Iger, Digital TV, OTT, Worldwide
New services to add $3.6bn to the US D2C video market by 2023
Feb 21, 2019 – New direct-to-consumer online video subscription services have the potential to add 53 million paying subscriptions to the U.S. market by 2023, effectively growing the total number of subscribers by 25%, according to IHS Markit (Nasdaq: INFO).
News categories: IHS Markit, Dan Cryan, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, USA
45% of Thai consumers use pirated TV boxes
Nov 14, 2018 – In a recent study, commissioned by the Asia Video Industry Association's Coalition Against Piracy, into the content viewing behaviour of Thai consumers, it was revealed that 45% of consumers use a TV box which can be used to stream pirated television and video content.
News categories: Asia Video Industry Association, True Visions, Neil Gane, Sompan Charumilinda, Content Protection, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, Set Top Box, Thailand
- iQIYI International available for ZEASN-based smart devices
- Growing demand for smart displays driving smart speaker sales
- Forthnet becomes part of United Group
- Anevia powers Skymedia's SkyGo service in Mongolia
- UK marketers expect to spend more on Advanced TV ads in the next 12 months
- NetRange moves browser to the Cloud for low-cost Smart TVs
- Over 13 billion Smart Home devices in use by 2025
- MultiChoice picks Metrological to deliver OTT services on DStv
- Oregan Networks builds on Amlogic's Android TV reference platform
- 61% of US broadband households subscribe to two or more OTT services
- 14% of Australians plan to cancel pay TV as a result of the pandemic
- Eutelsat 7/8°W predominant broadcast position for Egyptian TV homes
- NEXTGEN TV launches on local TV in Norfolk, VA
- Universal Electronics to launch Apple TV remote control for MVPDs
- Nielsen unveils new ID resolution system
- TeraVolt wins tender for development at ZDF Mediathek
- Ocilion delivers content recommendations with XroadMedia
- Mirada helps izzi bring Disney+ to Mexico
- Bitmovin adds VVC encoding support
- Verimatrix introduces watermarking for HTML5