Digital TV News: Zain
Zain KSA and Huawei plan video streaming service
Feb 26, 2019 – Zain KSA and Huawei have agreed a plan to implement a 'to Home' video streaming service platform and infrastructure. Zain KSA will be the first telecom operator in the Middle East to use Huawei's video cloud solutions to build their own video services.
News categories: Zain, Huawei, Eng. Sultan Bin AbdulAziz AlDeghaither, Dennis Zhang, Content Distribution, Digital TV, IPTV, MWC19, Saudi Arabia
Sofia Digital makes possible Smart TV app for Malaysia's tonton
Jun 7, 2018 – A Smart TV app for Malaysian OTT service provider tonton has been developed by Sofia Digital. The company delivered a turnkey service which included development, integration, and certification of each TV-vendor Appstore submission process.
News categories: Sofia Digital, tonton, Mika Kanerva, Airin Zainu, Apps, Digital TV, Malaysia, OTT, Smart TV
TELUS launches 4K HDR TV -- a first in Canada
Apr 19, 2018 – TELUS has announced the launch of a 4K HDR on Optik TV. Already the only TV provider in Western Canada to offer live and On Demand 4K content, TELUS is now the only one to support 4K HDR.
News categories: TELUS, Zainul Mawji, Canada, Digital TV, IPTV, Set Top Box
MENA OTT revenues to quadruple
Jul 17, 2017 – Middle East & North Africa OTT TV episodes and movies will generate revenues of $1.75 billion by 2022; more than quadruple the $428 million recorded in 2016. SVOD’s dominance of the sector will grow, according to Digital TV Research.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Digital TV, Market Research, Middle-East, OTT
iflix extends footprint to sub-Saharan Africa
Jun 1, 2017 – iflix has announced the establishment of iflix Africa to bring its service to sub-Saharan Africa. With launches planned in Nigeria, Ghana, Kenya, Tanzania and Zimbabwe, iflix Africa will increase iflix’s global footprint to 23 territories.
News categories: iflix, Mark Britt, Andre de Wet, Digital TV, Ghana, Kenya, Nigeria, OTT, Tanzania, Zimbabwe
Zain launches iflix service across Middle East and Africa
May 22, 2017 – Zain Group and iflix have announced the launch of iflix’s service across several of Zain’s markets. This follows the announcement earlier in the year whereby Zain and iflix formed a joint venture entity, ‘iflix Arabia’.
News categories: Zain, iflix, Scott Gegenheimer, Mark Britt, Apps, Bahrain, Digital TV, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, OTT, Saudi Arabia, Sudan
Zain and iflix establish 'iflix Arabia' joint venture
Feb 15, 2017 – Zain and iflix have announced the establishment of a joint venture, ‘iflix Arabia’, to bring iflix’ service to the Middle East and North Africa (MENA). iflix Arabia, will be headquartered in Dubai and trade commercially as 'iflix'.
News categories: iflix, Zain, Mark Britt, John-Paul McKerlie, Bader Al Kharafi, Scott Gegenheimer, Digital TV, Middle-East, OTT
ICFLIX inks deal with Zain Bahrain
Nov 9, 2016 – ICFLIX is expanding its footprint to the Kingdom of Bahrain with the announcement of a strategic partnership with Zain Bahrain. Zain Bahrain customers will be able to enjoy the ICFLIX library for a monthly or weekly fee.
News categories: ICFLIX, Zain, Carlos Tibi, Roland Loetscher, Bahrain, Digital TV, Mobile, OTT
Intelsat, Convergence Partners Form New Dawn Joint Venture to Grow Africa's Telecommunications Infrastructure
Dec 9, 2008 – Intelsat has announced a joint venture with a South African investor group to build and launch a new satellite optimized to deliver wireless backhaul, broadband and television programming to the African continent.
News categories: Intelsat, Convergence Partners, Africa, Content Distribution, Satellite, South Africa
- Pay TV subscriptions exceed 1 billion
- Roku OS 9.2 to begin rollout
- Roku announces new streaming player line-up for UK
- Eros Now to develop online video platform with Microsoft
- FourthWall Media introduces Reveal 5 TV analytics and optimization platform
- Hearst Television moves to impressions-based selling of Local TV ad inventory
- Roku releases U.S. cord-cutting study
- Facebook introduces Portal TV set-top box
- CTA launches 8K Ultra HD logo program
- SVOD subscriptions soar by 38% in 2018
- Subscriptions now account for nearly 86% of US internet TV and movie spending
- NBCUniversal streaming service to be called 'Peacock'
- Vizio adds additional Alexa capabilities to SmartCast TVs
- LIWEST latest Austrian operator to deploy IPTV with Verimatrix and Ocilion
- Channel 4 to use Sky's AdSmart technology
- TV penetration in Sub-Saharan Africa still low
- Amazon Prime Video to be made available on Altice One
- NEOTION renews partnership with Irdeto
- Online video viewing to reach 100 minutes a day in 2021
- Irdeto secures Airtel Xstream 4K set-top box