U.S. Department of Energy publishes STB energy usage analysis
Mar 7, 2013 — The U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) has completed an initial analysis that estimates the potential economic impacts and energy savings that could result from promulgating a regulatory energy conservation standard for set-top boxes.
News categories: Department of Energy, Digital TV, Regulation, Set Top Box, USA
European Court of Justice finds online terrestrial TV re-broadcasting services infringe copyright
Mar 7, 2013 — The European Court of Justice has found that, when a given work is put to multiple use, each transmission or retransmission of that work using a specific technical means must, as a rule, be individually authorised by its author.
News categories: Court of Justice, Digital TV, Europe, OTT, Regulation, Terrestrial, UK
FCC Relaxes Basic-Tier Cable Encryption Prohibition
Oct 12, 2012 — The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has amended its rules to allow U.S. cable operators to encrypt the basic service tier in all-digital cable systems if they comply with certain consumer-protection measures.
News categories: Federal Communications Commission, Cable TV, Digital TV, Regulation, Set Top Box, Smart card / CAM, Smart TV, USA
Poland's UOKiK gives consent to ITI/CANAL+ satellite JV
Sep 14, 2012 — Poland's Office of Competition and Consumer Protection (UOKiK) has approved the setting up of a satellite TV joint venture in the country by TVN and Vivendi. The deal will combine TVN's 'n' platform and Vivendi's Cyfra Plus.
News categories: UOKiK, Vivendi, TVN Group, M&A, Poland, Regulation, Satellite
Kenya removes conditional access requirement for DTT set-top boxes
Aug 28, 2012 — The price of digital terrestrial TV set-top boxes in Kenya is expected to fall after the Communications Commission of Kenya (CCK) removed the requirement that all STBs must have integrated conditional access.
News categories: Communications Commission of Kenya, Conditional Access, DVB-T2, Kenya, Regulation, Set Top Box, Terrestrial
China's SARFT submits plan for national cable operator
Aug 6, 2012 — China's State Administration of Radio, Film and Television (SARFT) has submitted a proposal to the State Council for the establishment of a national company to lead the integration of China cable networks.
News categories: SARFT, Cable TV, China, Digital TV, M&A, Regulation
FCC Issues NPRM to Modernize & Reform its Cable TV Technical Rules
Aug 3, 2012 — The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has adopted a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM) proposing to modernize and reform its cable TV technical rules, facilitating the industry’s widespread transition from analog to digital transmission.
News categories: FCC, Cable TV, Regulation, USA
South Africa publishes revised Draft DTT Regulations for consultation
Jul 13, 2012 — The Independent Communications Authority of South Africa has published a revised set of Draft Digital Terrestrial Television (DTT) regulations for another round of public consultation. Stakeholders have until 30 July 2012 to submit their written submissions.
News categories: ICASA, Digital TV, Regulation, South Africa, Terrestrial
- Multiscreen video delivery via residential gateways a fast-growing trend
- TalkTalk is Britain's fastest growing new TV service
- Vodafone to use Deutsche Telekom network for IPTV in Germany
- More than 3,000 on-demand services in Europe
- Russia to add 900,000 IPTV subscribers in 2013
- Mobile TV & video viewers to exceed 2 billion by 2017
- 24% of Russian homes equipped for satellite TV reception
- Belkin launches Dyle™ Mobile TV Receiver for iPad/iPhone
- Eastern Europe to add 13 million digital TV homes in 2013
- Vivendi (Canal+, GVT) releases first quarter 2013 results
- Farncombe and Inview collaborate on OTT solutions for the LatAm market
- Espial powers Harvard Freeview hybrid STBs and multiscreen apps
- Bhagyanagar Digital Services Indian cable consortium to use Conax content security
- HD+ increases customer base to 1.1 million German households in 1Q 2013
- BT Vision subscribers up 40,000 to 810,000 in 1Q 2013
- Reliance Digital TV subscribers unchanged in 1Q 2013 at 4.6 million
- Canal+ Spain subscribers down 26,500 in 1Q 2013
- StarHub pay TV subscribers down 4,000 in 1Q 2013
- DISH Network Reports First Quarter 2013 Financial Results
- NHK and Mitsubishi Develop World's First HEVC Encoder for 8K Super Hi-Vision