Middleware and Operating System (OS) News
Samsung licenses Reference Design Kit (RDK)
Dec 9, 2013 – Samsung has announced that it has licensed the Reference Design Kit from RDK Management, a joint venture between Comcast Cable and Time Warner Cable, in order to accelerate its set-top box and gateway development cycle.
News categories: Samsung, RDK Management, Cable TV, Digital TV, Middleware, Set Top Box, USA
Marvell unveils SoC for Google Services for Smart TVs with Hisense
Dec 4, 2013 – Marvell (NASDAQ: MRVL) has announced a Full HD media processor, the ARMADA® 1500 Plus system-on-chip (SoC), designed for smart video products based on Android JellyBean 4.2.2. Hisense is to use the SoC in TV Products supporting Google Services for Smart TVs.
News categories: Marvell, Hisense, Digital TV, ICs, Middleware, OTT, Semiconductor, Set Top Box, Smart TV
LG to incorporate Qualcomm's AllJoyn into Smart TV platform
Dec 4, 2013 – LG Electronics will be the first company to incorporate the AllJoyn open source software framework into its Smart TV platform, giving users a new level of interoperability between devices.
News categories: LG Electronics, Qualcomm, Digital TV, Middleware, Multiscreen, Smart TV
Sigma Designs announces turn-key hybrid set top box with Ginga
Dec 3, 2013 – Sigma Designs (NASDAQ: SIGM) has announced that Latin American STB manufacturers are engaging in the production of a turn-key solution based on Sigma's SoC for hybrid set top boxes for Argentina and other countries using ISDB-T.
News categories: Sigma Designs, Mach Electronics, Argentina, CES, Digital TV, ISDB-T, Latin America, Middleware, SBTVD, Semiconductor, Set Top Box, Terrestrial
Blue Ridge selects TiVo to deliver multiscreen viewing experience
Nov 19, 2013 – TiVo (NASDAQ: TIVO) and Blue Ridge Communications, a cable provider in eastern Pennsylvania, have announced that Blue Ridge has selected TiVo to provide its whole home television solution and user experience for its advanced TV offerings.
News categories: TiVo Inc, Blue Ridge, Cable TV, Digital TV, Middleware, Multiscreen, Personal Video Recorder, Set Top Box, USA
Mediacom rolls out Pace media gateway with TiVo user interface
Nov 18, 2013 – Pace (LSE: PIC) has announced that Mediacom Communications has chosen to deploy the Pace MG1 Multi-tuner Media Gateway with TiVo’s Advanced User Interface (UI) as its flagship platform.
News categories: Pace plc, Mediacom, TiVo Inc, Cable TV, Digital TV, Gateway, Home Networking, Middleware, Set Top Box, USA
Rovi to power TV data on Xbox One
Nov 14, 2013 – Rovi (Nasdaq:ROVI) has announced Rovi Video, a leading database for global TV, movie and celebrity metadata, will supply data for the TV electronic program guide experience, OneGuide, on Microsoft's Xbox One.
News categories: Rovi Corp, Xbox, Digital TV, Games Console, Middleware, OTT, Set Top Box
SK broadband launches Android IPTV STB from KAON
Nov 13, 2013 – KAONMEDIA (KOSDAQ: KAON Media) has announced that it has provided Android set-top boxes, with the latest Google services for TV, to SK broadband (KOSDAQ: 033630) - the world’s first commercial launch of IPTV with the latest Android OS (Jellybean 4.2).
News categories: KAONMEDIA, SK broadband, Digital TV, IPTV, Korea, Middleware, Set Top Box
- Sigma Designs reports third quarter fiscal 2014 results
- Xbox One sells more than 2 million units in the first 18 days
- eircom deploys SeaChange for its eVision TV service
- Bouygues Telecom deploys Broadpeak IPTV servers
- SK broadband IPTV subscribers pass the 2 million mark
- ViXS reports results for the third quarter of fiscal 2014
- Thailand's Samart uses Dolby Digital Plus in HD DVB-T2 set-top boxes
- Global mobile & tablet entertainment revenues to reach almost $75 billion by 2017
- NimbleTV cloud-based TV service launches in NYC
- UUX iTaaS platform powers Telenor MyTV multiscreen TV
- Australia switches off final analogue free-to-air TV signal
- CANAL+ launches myCANAL second screen service
- Shipments of OTT-enabled devices set to reach 1.7 billion this year
- Telefonica losing Pay TV share in key Latin American markets
- Samsung licenses Reference Design Kit (RDK)
- Cyta Hellas launches IPTV in Greece
- Stream TV partners with BOE to introduce 55" 4K 3D glasses-free display
- India's Fastway orders 1 million Conax secure clients
- Fetch TV celebrates 100K subscribers with launch of upgraded mobile app
- DVRs levelling off at about half of all US TV households