Japan Digital TV News
Verimatrix to provide security for NTT Plala's multiscreen offering
Jun 18, 2013 – Verimatrix has announced that NTT Plala, a major Japanese Internet service provider, will deploy the Verimatrix Video Content Authority System (VCAS™) to secure Hikari-TV for smartphones. Hikari-TV is the largest Internet TV service available in Japan.
News categories: Verimatrix, NTT Plala, CommunicAsia, Content Protection, Digital TV, Japan, Mobile, OTT, Smartphone
NHK and Mitsubishi Develop World's First HEVC Encoder for 8K Super Hi-Vision
May 9, 2013 – NHK and Mitsubishi have jointly developed the world's first HEVC encoder for 8K ultra HDTV 'Super Hi-Vision' (SHV). The HEVC encoder will be displayed at the NHK Science & Technology Research Laboratories Open House 2013, which will take place from May 30th to June 2nd.
News categories: Mitsubishi, NHK, Digital TV, Infrastructure, Japan
Jupiter Telecommunications releases 1Q 2013 results
Apr 24, 2013 – Jupiter Telecommunications (J:COM, JASDAQ: 4817) has released results for the 1st Quarter of 2013. The company had 3,102,900 cable TV RGUs at the end of the period, up 1.1% compared with the same period in 2012.
News categories: Jupiter Telecommunications, Cable TV, Japan, Results, Subscribers
STMicroelectronics powers Smart IPTV Set-Top Boxes from NTT Plala
Apr 22, 2013 – STMicroelectronics (NYSE: STM) has revealed that its Orly system-on-chip (SoC) is powering a new generation of advanced set-top boxes announced from NTT Plala, an Internet / IPTV service provider in Japan. The STB was developed by Sumitomo Electric Networks.
News categories: STMicroelectronics, NTT Plala, Sumitomo, Digital TV, IPTV, Japan, Semiconductor, Set Top Box
Gaming Consoles Lead Global Connected TV Usage
Apr 9, 2013 – With growing interest in streaming content, online gaming, and apps on TVs, households are increasingly finding ways to connect their TVs to the Internet. In several developed countries, game consoles have become the most popular way to make that connection, according to NPD DisplaySearch.
News categories: DisplaySearch, Blu-ray, China, Digital TV, DVD, France, Games Console, Germany, Italy, Japan, Market Research, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, UK, USA
Jupiter Telecommunications Announces December 2012 Subscriber Figures
Jan 18, 2013 – Jupiter Telecommunications (J:COM, JASDAQ: 4817) has announced that the total subscribing households as of December 31, 2012 served by J:COM’s 16 consolidated subsidiaries reached 3.74 million, up 120,300 or 3.3% from December 31, 2011.
News categories: Jupiter Telecommunications, Cable TV, Japan, Subscribers
MaxLinear MxL683 Tuner+ISDB-T Demodulator IC in Mitsumi 'Time Shift' NIMs
Dec 12, 2012 – MaxLinear (NYSE: MXL) has announced that Mitsumi has started volume shipments of its six-channel 'time shift' TV network interface modules (NIM) for use in Japanese televisions based on MaxLinear’s MxL683.
News categories: MaxLinear, Mitsumi, Digital TV, ISDB-T, Japan, Semiconductor, Smart TV, Terrestrial
Hisense Deploys Espial TV Browser in Japan
Oct 31, 2012 – Espial (TSX:ESP) has announced that the Espial TV Browser has been integrated with Hisense (600060.SH) TVs. The Espial TV Browser will initially be deployed on a variety of Hisense TV models in Japan to provide, among other features, support for the country's BML standard.
News categories: Espial, Hisense, Digital TV, Japan, Middleware, Smart TV
- HbbTV three-way partnership launches integrated toolbox for broadcasters at BCA
- VeriSilicon introduces Hantro G2 video decoder IP with HEVC and VP9 support
- The days of fast global pay TV revenue growth are over
- Verimatrix to provide security for NTT Plala's multiscreen offering
- Measat and Ericsson trial UHDTV satellite contribution
- Tvingo Telecom reaches 30,000 IPTV subscribers
- Telenet launches 'TV with a card' CI+ option
- Vectra launches new HD set-top box from Motorola
- Sigma Designs reports first quarter fiscal 2014 results
- Huawei widens lead in broadband CPE market
- Astro Malaysia adds 40k pay TV subscribers in quarter to end-April
- Minerva secures RDK licence from Comcast
- Amino and Intracom to provide IPTV entertainment solution to South Eastern European operator
- One billion pay TV subscribers by 2018
- Brazil to move final analogue switchover to 2018
- Comcast introduces X2 Xfinity platform
- Time Warner Cable to bring content to Samsung Smart TVs without a Set Top Box
- Simple.TV adds Rovi Entertainment Store
- 115 million U.S. and Canadian pay TV subscribers to have access to multiscreen services by 2016
- NTT to show 4K internet streaming to a set-top box at IMC Tokyo 2013