3D TV News
Global 3-D Market Flourishes Across Cinema, Home Video and TV VoD Platforms
Dec 20, 2012 – The global 3-D consumer market is thriving in a dynamic environment marked by clear and discernible growth across its major platforms, including cinema, home video and pay-TV video on demand, according to an IHS Screen Digest report.
News categories: Screen Digest, 3D, Blu-ray, Market Research, Set Top Box, Smart TV
Stream TV Networks develops 2160p 3D without glasses TV
Sep 3, 2012 – Stream TV Networks has announced the development of a 2kx4k 3D without glasses TV dubbed the Ultra-D™ 2160p. As there is no native consumer 4k content, Ultra-D has developed an algorithm which boosts existing content to between 1080p and 2160p.
News categories: Stream TV Networks, 3D, IFA, Smart TV
Optical science makes 3D cinema glasses a thing of the past
Aug 20, 2012 – Optics research by a team of South Korean investigators offers the prospect of glasses-free, 3-D display technology for commercial theaters. The new technique uses space more efficiently and produces 3D at a lower cost than current projection technology.
News categories: Optical Society, 3D, Digital TV
HEVC reaches the stage of Draft International Standard
Jul 20, 2012 – The 101st MPEG meeting has been held in Stockholm, Sweden. MPEG Media Transport (MMT) achieved formal Committee Draft (CD) status and High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC) reached the stage of Draft International Standard (DIS) during the meeting.
News categories: Moving Picture Experts Group, 3D, Digital TV, Mobile, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV
Rising Popularity of 3D Content Drives the Global 3D TV Market
Jul 17, 2012 – According to Global Industry Analysts (GIA) the market for 3D TVs is projected to exceed 200 million units by 2018, primarily driven by increased consumer interest, falling prices of 3D TVs, and the introduction of 3D standards.
News categories: Global Industry Analysts, 3D, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart TV
DVB Steering Board Approves Phase 2a Of 3DTV Specification
Jul 11, 2012 – The DVB Project has announced that it has approved Phase 2a of the DVB-3DTV specification. The specification will be submitted to ETSI for standardisation. An amended DVB-3DTV BlueBook is to be published to reflect the additional specification.
News categories: DVB Project, 3D, Digital TV, Set Top Box, Smart TV
2012 LCD TV Forecast Lowered to 216M Units
Jul 10, 2012 – Shipments of LCD TVs are now expected to grow at a slower pace in 2012 than 2011, according to NPD DisplaySearch. In addition, the overall TV market is expected to decline this year, even as some segments continue to grow.
News categories: DisplaySearch, 3D, Digital TV, LCD TV, LED, Market Research, Plasma, Smart TV
CEA Announces Five New Standards, Including Accessibility, 3D Video
Jul 9, 2012 – The Consumer Electronics Association (CEA) has announced five new standards, ranging in topic from accessibility to 3D video to wireless charging, which are now available to guide designers as they develop products for consumers.
News categories: Consumer Electronics Association, Techstreet, 3D, Digital TV, USA
- HbbTV three-way partnership launches integrated toolbox for broadcasters at BCA
- VeriSilicon introduces Hantro G2 video decoder IP with HEVC and VP9 support
- The days of fast global pay TV revenue growth are over
- Verimatrix to provide security for NTT Plala's multiscreen offering
- Measat and Ericsson trial UHDTV satellite contribution
- Tvingo Telecom reaches 30,000 IPTV subscribers
- Telenet launches 'TV with a card' CI+ option
- Vectra launches new HD set-top box from Motorola
- Sigma Designs reports first quarter fiscal 2014 results
- Huawei widens lead in broadband CPE market
- Astro Malaysia adds 40k pay TV subscribers in quarter to end-April
- Minerva secures RDK licence from Comcast
- Amino and Intracom to provide IPTV entertainment solution to South Eastern European operator
- One billion pay TV subscribers by 2018
- Brazil to move final analogue switchover to 2018
- Comcast introduces X2 Xfinity platform
- Time Warner Cable to bring content to Samsung Smart TVs without a Set Top Box
- Simple.TV adds Rovi Entertainment Store
- 115 million U.S. and Canadian pay TV subscribers to have access to multiscreen services by 2016
- NTT to show 4K internet streaming to a set-top box at IMC Tokyo 2013