Blu-ray Disc (BD) News
Global Blu-ray Disc Player Installed Base to Hit 100 Million in 2012
Nov 7, 2012 – Despite the slower than expected growth in the Blu-ray disc player market, the global installed base of standalone Blu-ray Disc (BD) players will hit the 100 million unit mark by the end of 2012, according to a recent Strategy Analytics forecast.
News categories: Strategy Analytics, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Market Research
Silicon Image Announces Video Processors for Home Theater Applications
Oct 1, 2012 – Silicon Image (NASDAQ: SIMG) has announced two upscaling video processors, designed to also enhance the picture quality of streaming or downloaded Internet video.
News categories: Silicon Image, Blu-ray, CEATEC, ICs, OTT, Semiconductor
ViXS Media Processor and Dual Stream HD Transcoder Powers Toshiba Blu-ray and CE Products
Aug 29, 2012 – ViXS Systems has announced that the ViXS XCode 4210 powers Toshiba's BD standalone and integrated BD module for HDTVs. The XCode 4210 is a network media processor and transcoding single chip System on Chip (SoC).
News categories: ViXS Systems, Toshiba, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Middleware, Semiconductor, Smart TV
DVDs and Blu-ray Discs Still Consumers' Choice for Feature-Length Movie Rentals
Aug 8, 2012 – According to The NPD Group, rentals of physical DVDs and Blu-ray discs (BDs) from kiosks, brick-and-mortar retailers, and Netflix Movies by Mail accounted for 62 percent of movie rental orders during the first half of this year.
News categories: NPD Group, Blu-ray, Digital TV, DVD, Market Research, OTT, USA
Samsung and Verizon Release FiOS TV App
Aug 7, 2012 – Samsung (Seoul: 005930) has announced the availability of the FiOS TV app on compatible Samsung TVs and Blu-ray players. The app lets Verizon (NYSE, Nasdaq: VZ) FiOS TV subscribers watch live and on-demand movies and TV without requiring a set-top box.
News categories: Samsung, Verizon, Apps, Blu-ray, Digital TV, IPTV, Smart TV, USA
TVs and Blu-ray Players to Surpass Game Consoles as Premium Connected Devices in the Home
Jul 20, 2012 – Connected TV penetration in North America and Western Europe will surge from just over 10% in 2011 to over 50% by 2017, according to ABI Research. Blu-ray penetration is expected to have a similar progression.
News categories: ABI Research, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Games Console, Market Research, OTT, Smart TV
DivX® Plus Streaming to be integrated with Panasonic Uniphier SoCs
Jul 19, 2012 – Rovi Corporation (NASDAQ: ROVI) has announced its DivX® Plus Streaming technology will be integrated with the 'UniPhier' series of digital television and Blu-ray Disc ICs from Panasonic (NYSE:PC; Tokyo:6752).
News categories: Rovi Corp, Panasonic, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Media Player, OTT, Semiconductor, Smart TV
UK Video Connected Devices to Grow 74% in 2012 to 24 Million
Jun 27, 2012 – The United Kingdom is Western Europe's leading market for connected devices, with an estimated 13.8 million devices receiving over-the-top video content at end-2011, a figure up 114.1% year-over-year from 2010, according to SNL Kagan research.
News categories: SNL Kagan, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Games Console, Home Server, Market Research, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Tablet, UK
- India's Fastway orders 1 million Conax secure clients
- Fetch TV celebrates 100K subscribers with launch of upgraded mobile app
- South Africa's Cabinet issues statement on conditional access
- Mongolia's MNBC migrates to DVB-T2 with Thomson video headend
- Qualy TV DTH arrives in Costa Rica
- Elliptic Technologies announces hardware-enforced content protection for Microsoft® PlayReady®
- Marvell unveils SoC for Google Services for Smart TVs with Hisense
- Bosnia's m:tel to upgrade IPTV service with Motorola
- Gartner says worldwide semiconductor revenue grew 5.2 percent in 2013
- LG to incorporate Qualcomm's AllJoyn into Smart TV platform
- Semiconductor sales recover in 2013
- Ono TV Online launches in Spain
- Rostelecom IPTV subscribers reach 2 million
- Sigma Designs announces turn-key hybrid set top box with Ginga
- SMiT launches CI+ 1.3 VoD CAM into Netherlands market
- INSIDE Secure protects premium mobile entertainment for Sky Italia
- Sequans and Huawei collaborate to advance LTE broadcast technology
- SmarDTV CI Plus modules for RCS & RDS pay TV in Romania and Hungary
- ATSC establishes Candidate Standard for Interactive TV
- Portugal adds 13,000 pay TV subscribers in 3Q 2013