Blu-ray Disc (BD) News
DVDs and Blu-ray Discs Still Consumers’ Choice for Feature-Length Movie Rentals
Aug 8, 2012 — According to The NPD Group, rentals of physical DVDs and Blu-ray discs (BDs) from kiosks, brick-and-mortar retailers, and Netflix Movies by Mail accounted for 62 percent of movie rental orders during the first half of this year.
News categories: NPD Group, Blu-ray, Digital TV, DVD, Market Research, OTT, USA
Samsung and Verizon Release FiOS TV App
Aug 7, 2012 — Samsung (Seoul: 005930) has announced the availability of the FiOS TV app on compatible Samsung TVs and Blu-ray players. The app lets Verizon (NYSE, Nasdaq: VZ) FiOS TV subscribers watch live and on-demand movies and TV without requiring a set-top box.
News categories: Samsung, Verizon, Apps, Blu-ray, Digital TV, IPTV, Smart TV, USA
TVs and Blu-ray Players to Surpass Game Consoles as Premium Connected Devices in the Home
Jul 20, 2012 — Connected TV penetration in North America and Western Europe will surge from just over 10% in 2011 to over 50% by 2017, according to ABI Research. Blu-ray penetration is expected to have a similar progression.
News categories: ABI Research, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Games Console, Market Research, OTT, Smart TV
DivX® Plus Streaming to be integrated with Panasonic Uniphier SoCs
Jul 19, 2012 — Rovi Corporation (NASDAQ: ROVI) has announced its DivX® Plus Streaming technology will be integrated with the 'UniPhier' series of digital television and Blu-ray Disc ICs from Panasonic (NYSE:PC; Tokyo:6752).
News categories: Rovi Corp, Panasonic, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Media Player, OTT, Semiconductor, Smart TV
UK Video Connected Devices to Grow 74% in 2012 to 24 Million
Jun 27, 2012 — The United Kingdom is Western Europe's leading market for connected devices, with an estimated 13.8 million devices receiving over-the-top video content at end-2011, a figure up 114.1% year-over-year from 2010, according to SNL Kagan research.
News categories: SNL Kagan, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Games Console, Home Server, Market Research, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Tablet, UK
Silicon Labs Raises the Bar for Silicon TV Tuners
Jun 25, 2012 — Silicon Labs (NASDAQ: SLAB) has introduced a family of TV tuners. The Si21x8 family includes five devices optimized for hybrid analog/digital iDTVs, analog-only or digital-only TVs, portable TVs, DVD and Blu-ray recorders, and terrestrial and cable STBs.
News categories: Silicon Laboratories, Blu-ray, Cable TV, Digital TV, ICs, Semiconductor, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Terrestrial
Google TV from Sony Launches Outside the U.S.
Jun 25, 2012 — Sony (Tokyo:6758; NYSE:SNE) has announced the availability and pricing of the NSZ-GS7, Internet Player with Google TV. Powered by the Google TV platform, the Internet Player will be available to buy in UK stores from week commencing July 16.
News categories: Sony Corp, Google TV, Australia, Blu-ray, Brazil, Canada, Digital TV, France, Germany, Mexico, Netherlands, OTT, Set Top Box, UK
Web-Connected Devices Lead to Big Changes in How Consumers Interact with Entertainment Content
Jun 20, 2012 — According to The NPD Group, growing consumer use of smart devices that connect to the Internet is changing the face of home entertainment by enabling entertainment content such as subscription video, streaming music, games and mobile apps.
News categories: NPD Group, Blu-ray, Games Console, Market Research, OTT, Smart TV, Smartphone
- End-to-End Solution for OTT and IPTV delivered by Motama
- nangu.TV launches recommendation engine
- Microsoft unveils Xbox One home entertainment system
- Canby Telcom to create video streaming service on Roku
- Pathé partners with Xstream for Widevine DRM on iOS and Android devices
- Isobar and SKY Brazil launch first ever record-via-twitter service
- TDS TV upgrades to Mediaroom 2.3
- Sales of set-top boxes with embedded MoCA grew 23% in 2H12
- Telekom Malaysia's HyppTV IPTV service to go nationwide
- Multiscreen video delivery via residential gateways a fast-growing trend
- ITU-IEC produces metadata standard for cross-platform IPTV
- TalkTalk is Britain's fastest growing new TV service
- Vodafone to use Deutsche Telekom network for IPTV in Germany
- More than 3,000 on-demand services in Europe
- Russia to add 900,000 IPTV subscribers in 2013
- Mobile TV & video viewers to exceed 2 billion by 2017
- 24% of Russian homes equipped for satellite TV reception
- Belkin launches Dyle™ Mobile TV Receiver for iPad/iPhone
- Eastern Europe to add 13 million digital TV homes in 2013
- Vivendi (Canal+, GVT) releases first quarter 2013 results