Smart TV (Connected TV, Integrated Digital Television, IDTV) News
Toshiba TVs certified for DivX Plus Streaming
May 7, 2013 — Rovi Corporation (Nasdaq:ROVI) has announced that Toshiba is launching a range of DTVs Certified for DivX Plus Streaming™. The agreement will enable Toshiba DTVs to support high-quality entertainment services from over-the-top providers such as KNOWHOW Movies by Dixons Retail in the UK.
News categories: Rovi Corp, Toshiba, Media Player, OTT, Smart TV
Nearly half of U.S. internet-capable home entertainment devices are connected and used
May 1, 2013 — Forty-seven percent of home entertainment devices are currently connected and being used for their online capabilities. But the degree to which these devices are used online varies significantly, according to The NPD Group.
News categories: NPD Group, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Games Console, Market Research, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, USA
European Commission seeks views on internet-TV convergence
Apr 24, 2013 — The Commission wants to explore what the convergence of the internet with television content could mean for Europe's economic growth and innovation, cultural diversity, and consumers (especially those that may need protection, such as children.)
News categories: European Commission, Digital TV, EU, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV
Hisense Launches the World's Fastest Smart TV
Apr 18, 2013 — With the introduction of VIDAA, a stunningly simple, elegant, yet immensely powerful User Interface (UI) for Smart TV, Hisense is providing easy, intuitive operation of advanced Smart TV features and functionality.
News categories: Hisense, Jamdeo, Digital TV, Middleware, Smart TV
Gaming Consoles Lead Global Connected TV Usage
Apr 9, 2013 — With growing interest in streaming content, online gaming, and apps on TVs, households are increasingly finding ways to connect their TVs to the Internet. In several developed countries, game consoles have become the most popular way to make that connection, according to NPD DisplaySearch.
News categories: DisplaySearch, Blu-ray, China, Digital TV, DVD, France, Games Console, Germany, Italy, Japan, Market Research, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, UK, USA
Nearly 80% of U.S. Smart TV owners are regular app users
Apr 4, 2013 — New industry research from Parks Associates shows app developers are targeting the smart TV platform as the next significant growth area as nearly 80% of smart-TV owners regularly use apps.
News categories: Parks Associates, Apps, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart TV
568,000 Saorview receivers sold in run-up to Ireland's digital TV switchover
Apr 2, 2013 — According to Independent.ie, 550,000 new televisions were sold in the 18 months preceding the switch-off of Ireland's analogue TV signal. 335,000 of the TVs had integrated tuners for reception of the replacement Saorview digital terrestrial TV service.
News categories: Saorview, Digital TV, Ireland, Market Research, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Terrestrial
Following Decline in 2012, Global TV Market Won't Recover Until 2015
Apr 1, 2013 — Stung by plunging sales in Japan and declining demand in North America and Western Europe, global television shipments in 2012 fell, marking a major inflection point that will have a lasting impact on the market, according to iSuppli (NYSE: IHS).
News categories: iSuppli, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart TV
- End-to-End Solution for OTT and IPTV delivered by Motama
- nangu.TV launches recommendation engine
- Microsoft unveils Xbox One home entertainment system
- Canby Telcom to create video streaming service on Roku
- Pathé partners with Xstream for Widevine DRM on iOS and Android devices
- Isobar and SKY Brazil launch first ever record-via-twitter service
- TDS TV upgrades to Mediaroom 2.3
- Sales of set-top boxes with embedded MoCA grew 23% in 2H12
- Telekom Malaysia's HyppTV IPTV service to go nationwide
- Multiscreen video delivery via residential gateways a fast-growing trend
- ITU-IEC produces metadata standard for cross-platform IPTV
- TalkTalk is Britain's fastest growing new TV service
- Vodafone to use Deutsche Telekom network for IPTV in Germany
- More than 3,000 on-demand services in Europe
- Russia to add 900,000 IPTV subscribers in 2013
- Mobile TV & video viewers to exceed 2 billion by 2017
- 24% of Russian homes equipped for satellite TV reception
- Belkin launches Dyle™ Mobile TV Receiver for iPad/iPhone
- Eastern Europe to add 13 million digital TV homes in 2013
- Vivendi (Canal+, GVT) releases first quarter 2013 results