South Africa Digital TV News
Digital TV penetration accelerates in Sub-Saharan Africa
Jan 8, 2013 – About 35.3% of TV homes in Sub-Saharan Africa took digital signals by end-2012, according to a report from Digital TV Research. The Digital TV Sub-Saharan Africa report forecasts that digital TV penetration will rocket to 95.5% by 2018 - with household numbers quadrupling to 49.0 million.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Africa, Angola, Côte d'Ivoire, Digital TV, Ghana, Kenya, Market Research, Nigeria, South Africa, Subscribers, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia
Commercial DTT to launch in South Africa in December
Oct 3, 2012 – At South Africa's Proof of Concept launch of Digital Terrestrial Television (DTT), the country's Minister of Communications said that the commercial launch of DTT will take place in December this year.
News categories: Digital TV, Satellite, Set Top Box, South Africa, Terrestrial
South Africa pay TV households to reach 5.9 million by 2016
Sep 9, 2012 – According to PricewaterhouseCoopers, pay TV households in South Africa are set to grow from 3.7 million in 2011 to 5.9 million by 2016 - with subscription television then reaching a TV household penetration rate of 81.4%.
News categories: PricewaterhouseCoopers, Digital TV, Market Research, South Africa, Subscribers
South Africa sets DTT launch date
Aug 21, 2012 – The first phase of the launch of digital terrestrial television (DTT) in South Africa is set for 26 and 27 September 2012, the Department of Communications (DoC) recently told the country's Select Committee on Labour and Public Enterprises.
News categories: Digital TV, South Africa, Terrestrial
Satellite TV boom to continue
Jul 25, 2012 – According to a report from Digital TV Research, the number of pay DTH (DBS) homes for the 80 countries covered will be 220 million by end-2017, up from 154 million at end-2011 and 91 million at end-2007. India will lead the sector with 50.9 million pay DTH homes in 2017.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Brazil, Digital TV, India, Indonesia, Italy, Market Research, Mexico, Poland, Russia, Satellite, South Africa, Subscribers, UK, USA
South Africa publishes revised Draft DTT Regulations for consultation
Jul 13, 2012 – The Independent Communications Authority of South Africa has published a revised set of Draft Digital Terrestrial Television (DTT) regulations for another round of public consultation. Stakeholders have until 30 July 2012 to submit their written submissions.
News categories: ICASA, Digital TV, Regulation, South Africa, Terrestrial
South Africa launches Set-Top Box Standard
Jun 6, 2012 – South Africa's Department of Communications and Bureau of Standards launched the Set-Top Box (STB) decoder standard (SANS862:2012) for free-to-air digital terrestrial television at the inaugural ICT Indaba taking place from 5-7 June 2012.
News categories: Digital TV, Set Top Box, South Africa, Terrestrial
MultiChoice and Altech UEC launch locally developed 2-tuner HD PVR in South Africa
May 18, 2012 – MultiChoice (JSE: NPN)(LSE:NPSN) has announced the introduction of the Altech UEC (Jo'burg: ALT) supplied 2-tuner HD PVR 2U into the South African market. The HD PVR 2U offers one recording environment and one viewing environment, independent of each other.
News categories: MultiChoice, Altech UEC, Personal Video Recorder, Satellite, Set Top Box, South Africa
- Mongolia's MNBC migrates to DVB-T2 with Thomson video headend
- Qualy TV DTH arrives in Costa Rica
- Elliptic Technologies announces hardware-enforced content protection for Microsoft® PlayReady®
- Marvell unveils SoC for Google Services for Smart TVs with Hisense
- Bosnia's m:tel to upgrade IPTV service with Motorola
- Gartner says worldwide semiconductor revenue grew 5.2 percent in 2013
- LG to incorporate Qualcomm's AllJoyn into Smart TV platform
- Semiconductor sales recover in 2013
- Ono TV Online launches in Spain
- Rostelecom IPTV subscribers reach 2 million
- Sigma Designs announces turn-key hybrid set top box with Ginga
- SMiT launches CI+ 1.3 VoD CAM into Netherlands market
- INSIDE Secure protects premium mobile entertainment for Sky Italia
- Sequans and Huawei collaborate to advance LTE broadcast technology
- SmarDTV CI Plus modules for RCS & RDS pay TV in Romania and Hungary
- ATSC establishes Candidate Standard for Interactive TV
- Portugal adds 13,000 pay TV subscribers in 3Q 2013
- Smart TV market worth $265 billion by 2016
- New Zealand switches off analogue TV signal
- LOVEFiLM launches streaming application on PlayStation 4