South Africa Digital TV News
MultiChoice and Altech UEC launch locally developed 2-tuner HD PVR in South Africa
May 18, 2012 – MultiChoice (JSE: NPN)(LSE:NPSN) has announced the introduction of the Altech UEC (Jo'burg: ALT) supplied 2-tuner HD PVR 2U into the South African market. The HD PVR 2U offers one recording environment and one viewing environment, independent of each other.
News categories: MultiChoice, Altech UEC, Personal Video Recorder, Satellite, Set Top Box, South Africa
36 bidders for South Africa's DTT STB tender
May 9, 2012 – South Africa has announced the results of its tender for the production of set-top boxes to be provided to subsidised households. Bids were received from 36 STB manufacturers plus 4 service providers offering to facilitate the migration process.
News categories: Digital TV, Set Top Box, South Africa, Terrestrial
South Africa approves STB Manufacturing Sector Development Strategy
Mar 22, 2012 – South Africa's Cabinet has approved the Ownership Support Rollout Framework for Set-Top Boxes subsidisation plan for poor households and also its Set-Top Box (STB) Manufacturing Sector Development Strategy.
News categories: Regulation, Set Top Box, South Africa
Sub-Saharan Africa attracts global TV players
Feb 6, 2012 – Digital TV Research expects the pay TV subscriber total in Sub-Saharan Africa to double to 14.1 million by 2017, with DTH contributing 8.2 million and pay DTT chiming in with 5.2 million.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Africa, Market Research, Nigeria, Satellite, South Africa, Subscribers, Terrestrial
Altech Opens World Class Factory for the Manufacture of Digital Set-Top Boxes
Aug 2, 2011 – Altech UEC (Johannesburg: ALT) has consolidated six buildings on two sites into a single, 13,500m2 state-of-the-art factory at Mount Edgecombe as South Africa begins its migration to digital terrestrial television (DTT).
News categories: Altech UEC, Set Top Box, South Africa, Terrestrial
DStv Mobile Deploys Irdeto to Deliver Content to Viewers on the Go
Jun 6, 2011 – Irdeto (JSE: NPN) has announced that it is securing and delivering live TV to mobile devices for DStv Mobile. In partnership with Korean manufacturer Valups, Irdeto is delivering content from DStv Mobile to a variety of different devices on the go.
News categories: Irdeto, DStv, Valups, Conditional Access, Content Protection, Digital TV, Ghana, Kenya, Mobile, Namibia, Nigeria, South Africa
Middle East and Africa rapid digital TV conversion continues, but few pay
May 30, 2011 – Digital TV penetration for the 18 countries covered in the Digital TV Middle East & Africa report is already approaching two-thirds of the total. Digital TV Research forecasts that digital penetration will reach 81% of TV households by 2016.
News categories: Digital TV Research Ltd, Algeria, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Israel, Jordan, Market Research, Middle-East, Morocco, Satellite, South Africa, Subscribers, Terrestrial, Turkey
South Africa to have satellite VOD service
May 9, 2011 – Southtel is to launch a satellite delivered video-on-demand service in South Africa this September. The service, called VOD:TV, has been developed in collaboration with Logiways, and will use set-top boxes from TechnoTrend Görler.
News categories: Logiways, Southtel, TechnoTrend, Digital TV, Middleware, Personal Video Recorder, Satellite, Set Top Box, South Africa
- HbbTV three-way partnership launches integrated toolbox for broadcasters at BCA
- VeriSilicon introduces Hantro G2 video decoder IP with HEVC and VP9 support
- The days of fast global pay TV revenue growth are over
- Verimatrix to provide security for NTT Plala's multiscreen offering
- Measat and Ericsson trial UHDTV satellite contribution
- Tvingo Telecom reaches 30,000 IPTV subscribers
- Telenet launches 'TV with a card' CI+ option
- Vectra launches new HD set-top box from Motorola
- Sigma Designs reports first quarter fiscal 2014 results
- Huawei widens lead in broadband CPE market
- Astro Malaysia adds 40k pay TV subscribers in quarter to end-April
- Minerva secures RDK licence from Comcast
- Amino and Intracom to provide IPTV entertainment solution to South Eastern European operator
- One billion pay TV subscribers by 2018
- Brazil to move final analogue switchover to 2018
- Comcast introduces X2 Xfinity platform
- Time Warner Cable to bring content to Samsung Smart TVs without a Set Top Box
- Simple.TV adds Rovi Entertainment Store
- 115 million U.S. and Canadian pay TV subscribers to have access to multiscreen services by 2016
- NTT to show 4K internet streaming to a set-top box at IMC Tokyo 2013