AT&T U-verse TV Reaches 1 Million Subscriber MilestoneTuesday, December 16th, 2008
Strong Customer Demand, Industry Accolades for Quality Service Affirm Company’s IP Technology Strategy
DALLAS, Texas — AT&T Inc. (NYSE:T) today announced that AT&T U-verseSM TV has reached its 1 millionth customer. The subscriber milestone comes less than two and a half years after AT&T Mobility and Consumer Markets introduced the only 100-percent Internet Protocol (IP) TV service offered by a national service provider.
IP technology enables state of the art features and functionality, and integration across TV, broadband, wireless and home phone services. Since its market introduction, U-verse TV has received industry acclaim for customer satisfaction, service excellence and innovation. AT&T U-verse TV ranked “Highest in Residential Television Service Satisfaction in the North Central, South, and West Regions,” according to the J.D. Power and Associates 2008 Residential Television Service Provider Satisfaction StudySM. Industry analyst group Frost & Sullivan named AT&T U-verse the 2009 North American Consumer Communications Service Product of the Year, and U-verse Total Home DVR was recognized with a 2008 TelcoTV Vision Award for Service Provider Innovation.
AT&T U-verse TV has been deployed in 79 major markets across 16 states, where policy makers have enacted forward-looking policy through legislation, municipal support and other decisions to encourage investment and competition by streamlining the process for providers to enter the video marketplace. The deployment of AT&T U-verse is rapidly introducing competitive choice and next-generation services to more consumers.
“Reaching this milestone, in this short time period, further validates our video strategy and shows that we’re providing customers with a better choice and a better experience than cable,” said Ralph de la Vega, chief executive officer of AT&T Mobility and Consumer Markets. “We’re using our all-IP U-verse platform and our wireless assets to give customers what they want, in a way that no one else can.”
AT&T U-verse customers enjoy quadruple-play integration, enhanced features and greater value, all made possible by IP technology. IP technology allows AT&T U-verse to easily and constantly evolve with new features and services to match consumer needs. In 2008, AT&T Mobility and Consumer Markets introduced several U-verse TV enhancements to its subscriber base that helped customer growth and satisfaction. The list of differentiating U-verse TV features includes:
- Total Home DVR, which lets you watch recorded High Definition (HD) and Standard Definition shows from a single DVR on any connected TV in the home.
- An extensive lineup, including more than 85 HD channels and several international channels.
- The ability to record up to four programs at once and schedule recordings from a PC or wireless device.
- YELLOWPAGES.COM TV, for fast and easy searches to find local businesses and other information via your TV screen.
- AT&T U-bar, which brings customizable weather, stock, sports and traffic information to the U-verse TV screen, without interrupting the current program.
- AT&T Online Photos from Flickr, which allows AT&T High Speed Internet customers to browse the photos you’ve uploaded to flickr.com and watch slide shows on your U-verse TV screen from the comfort of your couch.
- Yahoo! Sports Fantasy Football, which allows you to track the progress of your fantasy team — including current team matchups and league standings — directly from your TV screen through the AT&T U-bar.
- AT&T Yahoo! Games, so you can play your favorite online games — including Sudoku, Solitaire, JT’s Blocks, Mah-jongg Tiles and Chess — on the TV screen.
- Built-in Picture-in-Picture, which lets you channel-surf on any television without leaving the program you’re watching.
- Fast channel changing, reducing the delay experienced with other digital video services.
An expanded Video On Demand (VOD) library, including HD VOD titles and more than 1,000 full-length movies.
- The ability to watch and record up to two HD programs at once.
AT&T U-verse bundles also expanded in 2008 with the introduction and ongoing rollout of AT&T U-verse Voice, bringing consumers a next-generation digital voice service with unique integrated features, and with the launch of two higher speed Internet packages, AT&T U-verse High Speed Internet Max (downstream speeds up to 10 Mbps) and Max 18 (downstream speeds up to 18 Mbps).
“We will continue evolving AT&T U-verse, expanding availability and adding more applications and integrated features that improve what our customers can do not only with their TV, but across the three screens,” said de la Vega.