Harmonic is Top MPEG Encoder Supplier by Number of Streams in 2008Tuesday, May 12th, 2009
SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — New research from In-Stat identifies Harmonic Inc. (NASDAQ: HLIT) as the top MPEG encoder supplier, when counting the number of streams supplied in 2008. Harmonic, with 28% of streams supplied in the market, is followed closely by TANDBERG Television (NASDAQ:ERIC). Other competitors include Motorola, Envivio, Grass Valley, NTT, Cisco Systems and Fujitsu.
“The broadcast MPEG encoder market grew in 2008,” says Michelle Abraham, In-Stat analyst. “However, the market will reverse course in 2009 due to the end of the 2GHz relocation project in the US and the weak economy.”
The recent research by In-Stat found the following:
- The worldwide HD H.264 professional encoder revenue for mobile contribution is a high-growth segment, more than quadrupling by 2013 when it will reach nearly $111 million.
- In-Stat does not expect great demand for real-time broadcast encoders for 1080p/24 because pay-TV operators are expected to use 1080p/24 for their VOD services rather than linear broadcasts.
- H.264 will make greater inroads into the HD contribution segment, as content producers want to use the same bandwidth for HD contribution as they were previously using for SD contribution.
Recent In-Stat research, Worldwide Real-Time Broadcast MPEG Encoder Market (#IN0904001MBI), includes:
- MPEG encoder unit sales and revenue forecasts and average selling price forecasts by region and by type through 2013.
- Vendor market shares.
- Analysis of market drivers and barriers.
- A look at new technologies that will influence the market.