Digital TV News: BBC iPlayer
Freesat now in 1.7 million UK homes
May 1, 2013 — Freesat, the UK’s free-to-air digital satellite television provider has announced 2012/13 results. Having added c.150,000 homes in the last 12 months, Freesat remains the UK's fastest growing established TV platform, and continues to outgrow Pay-TV rivals.
News categories: Freesat, Market Research, Results, Satellite, Set Top Box, UK
Ofcom releases International Communications Market Report
Dec 13, 2012 — UK consumers lead the world in using technology to enhance their viewing experience, Ofcom research reveals. The UK is ahead of other countries for catching up with TV online and is at the forefront of using technology such as smart TVs and DVRs.
News categories: Ofcom, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, OTT, Personal Video Recorder, Satellite, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Subscribers, Terrestrial, TV Everywhere, UK
JT launches YouView in the Channel Islands
Nov 23, 2012 — YouView, the subscription-free TV service which combines catch-up and on demand TV, has been launched exclusively in the Channel Islands by JT.
News categories: Jersey Telecom, Channel Islands, OTT, Set Top Box
OTT and Operator-Owned Multiscreen Service Penetration in UK to Exceed 75% and 52% Respectively by 2017
Nov 19, 2012 — According to ABI Research, the UK leads Europe in the adoption of both standalone OTT and operator-owned multiscreen services. Many UK consumers fit the multi-device profile, with more than 10% of the population already boasting an average of four connected devices.
News categories: ABI Research, Market Research, OTT, TV Everywhere, UK
zeebox TV companion app makes U.S. debut
Sep 27, 2012 — zeebox has announced that Comcast Cable, NBCUniversal, HBO and Cinemax are teaming with zeebox to support its cross-channel TV viewing companion app for iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, Android, and the Web.
News categories: zeebox, Apps, Smartphone, Social TV, Tablet, USA
UK's Freesat launches 'backward' TV guide
Sep 4, 2012 — Freesat, the UK's free-to-air digital satellite television provider, has launched a new smart on-screen TV guide, called <free time>, available in its next generation Freesat+ boxes.
News categories: Freesat, Digital TV, Middleware, Personal Video Recorder, Satellite, Set Top Box, UK
ACCESS to show NetFront Browser HTML5 support at IBC
Aug 28, 2012 — ACCESS CO. has announced that its IBC demo of NetFront™ Browser NX 2.0 shows how HTML5 provides the broadcast space with an open UI platform that enables the launch of next generation UIs, EPGs, TV Services, and Games all at 'Internet speed'.
News categories: ACCESS CO, IBC, Middleware
UK Video Connected Devices to Grow 74% in 2012 to 24 Million
Jun 27, 2012 — The United Kingdom is Western Europe's leading market for connected devices, with an estimated 13.8 million devices receiving over-the-top video content at end-2011, a figure up 114.1% year-over-year from 2010, according to SNL Kagan research.
News categories: SNL Kagan, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Games Console, Home Server, Market Research, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Tablet, UK
- End-to-End Solution for OTT and IPTV delivered by Motama
- nangu.TV launches recommendation engine
- Microsoft unveils Xbox One home entertainment system
- Canby Telcom to create video streaming service on Roku
- Pathé partners with Xstream for Widevine DRM on iOS and Android devices
- Isobar and SKY Brazil launch first ever record-via-twitter service
- TDS TV upgrades to Mediaroom 2.3
- Sales of set-top boxes with embedded MoCA grew 23% in 2H12
- Telekom Malaysia's HyppTV IPTV service to go nationwide
- Multiscreen video delivery via residential gateways a fast-growing trend
- ITU-IEC produces metadata standard for cross-platform IPTV
- TalkTalk is Britain's fastest growing new TV service
- Vodafone to use Deutsche Telekom network for IPTV in Germany
- More than 3,000 on-demand services in Europe
- Russia to add 900,000 IPTV subscribers in 2013
- Mobile TV & video viewers to exceed 2 billion by 2017
- 24% of Russian homes equipped for satellite TV reception
- Belkin launches Dyle™ Mobile TV Receiver for iPad/iPhone
- Eastern Europe to add 13 million digital TV homes in 2013
- Vivendi (Canal+, GVT) releases first quarter 2013 results