Digital TV News: Court of Justice
European Court of Justice finds online terrestrial TV re-broadcasting services infringe copyright
Mar 7, 2013 – The European Court of Justice has found that, when a given work is put to multiple use, each transmission or retransmission of that work using a specific technical means must, as a rule, be individually authorised by its author.
News categories: Court of Justice, Digital TV, Europe, OTT, Regulation, Terrestrial, UK
EU Court of Justice rules against prohibitions on the import, sale or use of foreign decoder cards
Oct 4, 2011 – A system of licences for the broadcasting of football matches which grants broadcasters territorial exclusivity on a Member State basis and which prohibits television viewers from watching the broadcasts with a decoder card in other Member States is contrary to EU law.
News categories: Court of Justice, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Conditional Access, Content Protection, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Digital TV, Estonia, EU, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Regulation, Romania, Satellite, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, UK
Court of Justice ruling means PVRs escape EU customs duty
Apr 14, 2011 – The European Court of Justice has ruled that for customs purposes decoders with a hard disk drive are set-top boxes and not recording apparatus and so are exempt from customs duties instead of being subject to a rate of 13.9%.
News categories: European Court of Justice, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Digital TV, Estonia, EU, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Personal Video Recorder, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Set Top Box, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, UK
Advocate General says territorial exclusivity agreements relating to the transmission of football matches are contrary to EU law
Feb 3, 2011 – European Union law does not make it possible to prohibit the live transmission of Premier League football matches in pubs by means of foreign decoder cards.
News categories: Court of Justice, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Digital TV, Estonia, EU, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Regulation, Romania, Satellite, Set Top Box, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, UK
Ruling on Rovi litigation with Virgin Media
Nov 30, 2009 – The High Court of Justice in the United Kingdom has issued its judgment in Rovi's (NASDAQ: ROVI) patent infringement litigation against Virgin Media (NASDAQ, LSE: VMED). The Court found that Virgin had infringed each of the patents but also found them to be invalid.
News categories: Rovi Corp, Virgin Media, Cable TV, Digital TV, Licensing, Middleware, Patent, Set Top Box, UK
Nortel Obtains Court Orders for Creditor Protection
Jan 14, 2009 – Nortel Networks Corporation (NYSE/TSX: NT) has announced that the Company, Nortel Networks Limited and certain other Canadian subsidiaries have obtained an Order from the Ontario Superior Court of Justice for creditor protection.
News categories: Nortel, Canada, Digital TV, Finance, Infrastructure, IPTV, UK, USA
Commission welcomes political agreement on new Directive for Europe's audiovisual media
May 24, 2007 – After a legislative process of 18 months only, a political agreement has been reached on the new Audiovisual Media Services without frontiers Directive.
News categories: European Commission, Press Pack, Digital TV, Europe, Multiscreen, OTT
- Mongolia's MNBC migrates to DVB-T2 with Thomson video headend
- Qualy TV DTH arrives in Costa Rica
- Elliptic Technologies announces hardware-enforced content protection for Microsoft® PlayReady®
- Marvell unveils SoC for Google Services for Smart TVs with Hisense
- Bosnia's m:tel to upgrade IPTV service with Motorola
- Gartner says worldwide semiconductor revenue grew 5.2 percent in 2013
- LG to incorporate Qualcomm's AllJoyn into Smart TV platform
- Semiconductor sales recover in 2013
- Ono TV Online launches in Spain
- Rostelecom IPTV subscribers reach 2 million
- Sigma Designs announces turn-key hybrid set top box with Ginga
- SMiT launches CI+ 1.3 VoD CAM into Netherlands market
- INSIDE Secure protects premium mobile entertainment for Sky Italia
- Sequans and Huawei collaborate to advance LTE broadcast technology
- SmarDTV CI Plus modules for RCS & RDS pay TV in Romania and Hungary
- ATSC establishes Candidate Standard for Interactive TV
- Portugal adds 13,000 pay TV subscribers in 3Q 2013
- Smart TV market worth $265 billion by 2016
- New Zealand switches off analogue TV signal
- LOVEFiLM launches streaming application on PlayStation 4