Digital TV News: International Telecommunication Union
ITU-IEC produces metadata standard for cross-platform IPTV
May 16, 2013 — Cooperation between ITU and the IEC has produced a metadata standard to enable rights information interoperability in IPTV services. The standard provides a framework for communicating data to ensure that multimedia content can be shared legally across different platforms.
News categories: International Telecommunication Union, International Electrotechnical Commission, IPTV
ITU gives first-stage approval to H.265 video coding standard
Jan 25, 2013 — The International Telecommunication Union has announced that its ITU-T Study Group 16 has agreed first-stage approval to Recommendation ITU-T H.265 or ISO/IEC 23008-2, known informally as ‘High Efficiency Video Coding’ (HEVC).
News categories: International Telecommunication Union, Digital TV
ITU launches 2nd IPTV Application Challenge
Jun 1, 2012 — The ITU’s second IPTV Application Challenge is inviting IPTV solutions from individuals, SMEs and corporations to improve social welfare through services in fields such as e-health, e-government, e-learning, ICT accessibility and all aspects of Smart Living.
News categories: International Telecommunication Union, Apps, IPTV
3DTV gets a boost with new ITU-R Recommendations
May 31, 2012 — New ITU Recommendations on 3DTV are being submitted to Administrations for accelerated approval. ITU’s Radiocommunication Sector (ITU-R) has developed the standards – or Recommendations – in its Study Group 6.
News categories: International Telecommunication Union, 3D, Digital TV, Infrastructure, Set Top Box, Smart TV
Arqiva to build digital infrastructure in Gibraltar
May 10, 2012 — Arqiva has won a 'design and build' contract from the Gibraltar Regulatory Authority (GRA) to provide a digital broadcasting network in Gibraltar. The network will comprise multiplexing and transmission for both digital TV and DAB digital radio.
News categories: Arqiva, Gibraltar Regulatory Authority, Gibraltar, Infrastructure, Terrestrial
Sigma Designs Reports Fourth Quarter and Fiscal 2012 Results
Mar 7, 2012 — Sigma Designs (NASDAQ: SIGM) has reported results for its fourth quarter and fiscal year ended January 28, 2012. Net revenue for the quarter was $35.6 million, down 10% from the previous quarter, and down 50% from the same period last year.
News categories: Sigma Designs, IPTV, Results, Semiconductor, Set Top Box
Nepal to introduce IPTV
Jun 13, 2011 — Nepal Telecom (NT) and Nepal Television (NTV) are preparing to introduce Internet Protocol Television (IPTV) in Nepal with the assistance of the International Telecommunication Union (ITU), according to República.
News categories: Nepal Telecom, Nepal Television, International Telecommunication Union, Digital TV, IPTV, Nepal
Viasat and Irdeto to Deliver Premium On-Demand Content to LG TVs
Feb 1, 2011 — Irdeto has announced that Viasat has expanded its Irdeto Broadband system to enable access to live and Video On Demand (VOD) content from its LG NetCast enabled connected TV platform.
News categories: Irdeto, Viasat, LG Electronics, Denmark, Digital TV, Norway, OTT, Smart TV, Sweden
- End-to-End Solution for OTT and IPTV delivered by Motama
- nangu.TV launches recommendation engine
- Microsoft unveils Xbox One home entertainment system
- Canby Telcom to create video streaming service on Roku
- Pathé partners with Xstream for Widevine DRM on iOS and Android devices
- Isobar and SKY Brazil launch first ever record-via-twitter service
- TDS TV upgrades to Mediaroom 2.3
- Telekom Malaysia's HyppTV IPTV service to go nationwide
- Multiscreen video delivery via residential gateways a fast-growing trend
- ITU-IEC produces metadata standard for cross-platform IPTV
- TalkTalk is Britain's fastest growing new TV service
- Vodafone to use Deutsche Telekom network for IPTV in Germany
- More than 3,000 on-demand services in Europe
- Russia to add 900,000 IPTV subscribers in 2013
- Mobile TV & video viewers to exceed 2 billion by 2017
- 24% of Russian homes equipped for satellite TV reception
- Belkin launches Dyle™ Mobile TV Receiver for iPad/iPhone
- Eastern Europe to add 13 million digital TV homes in 2013
- Vivendi (Canal+, GVT) releases first quarter 2013 results
- Farncombe and Inview collaborate on OTT solutions for the LatAm market