Digital TV News: LG Electronics
LG Smart TV App offers alternative to Verizon FiOS TV set-top box
Nov 28, 2012 – LG's (KSE: 066570) Smart TV platform is the first to allow Verizon (NYSE, Nasdaq: VZ) FiOS TV customers to enjoy 75 broadcast channels, serving as a set-top box alternative within the home.
News categories: LG Electronics, Verizon, Apps, Digital TV, IPTV, Set Top Box, Smart TV, USA
OLED TVs to Start Shipping by the End of 2012
Nov 6, 2012 – Despite high expectations set by manufacturers Samsung and LG Electronics for the entry of OLED displays into the TV market in 2012, these sets will likely only be available in small volumes by the end of this year, according to NPD DisplaySearch.
News categories: DisplaySearch, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart TV
4K Televisions to See Marginal Share of LCD-TV Market Through 2017
Oct 4, 2012 – Despite some high-profile product introductions, consumer demand for televisions with the ultra-high-definition 4K resolution will remain negligible for the foreseeable future according to IHS iSuppli.
News categories: iSuppli, Digital TV, LCD TV, Market Research, Smart TV
HDTV Market to Surge in 2013 Despite Only Modest Growth in 2012
Sep 20, 2012 – During much of the first half of 2012, revenue from the LCD HD television segment remained poor. The primary problem for LCD manufacturers has been the rise of ultra-low cost production in places such as China, which has undercut already meager margins.
News categories: Global Information Inc, Digital TV, Market Research, Semiconductor, Smart TV
Global TV Shipments Decline for Second Straight Quarter
Sep 11, 2012 – Global TV shipments declined for the second straight quarter, falling 8% year over year in Q2’12, according to the NPD DisplaySearch Advanced Quarterly Global TV Shipment and Forecast Report.
News categories: DisplaySearch, Digital TV, LCD TV, Market Research, Plasma, Smart TV
Sisvel Advances Toward Formation of DVB-C2 Patent Pool
Sep 7, 2012 – Sisvel has announced that it has been coordinating meetings among owners of patents essential to the DVB-C2 standard for the purpose of creating a patent pool to offer licenses under their combined portfolio of patents.
News categories: Sisvel, Cable TV, DVB-C2, IBC, Licensing, Patent
Qualcomm and MStar join Smart TV Alliance
Aug 30, 2012 – The Smart TV Alliance has added new members with expertise from different areas of the Smart TV industry. The Alliance is working on specifications for its SDK 2.0 with the actual SDK tool available by the end of the year for use by developers.
News categories: Smart TV Alliance, Apps, Digital TV, IFA, OTT, Semiconductor, Smart TV
Rising Popularity of 3D Content Drives the Global 3D TV Market
Jul 17, 2012 – According to Global Industry Analysts (GIA) the market for 3D TVs is projected to exceed 200 million units by 2018, primarily driven by increased consumer interest, falling prices of 3D TVs, and the introduction of 3D standards.
News categories: Global Industry Analysts, 3D, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart TV
- HbbTV three-way partnership launches integrated toolbox for broadcasters at BCA
- VeriSilicon introduces Hantro G2 video decoder IP with HEVC and VP9 support
- The days of fast global pay TV revenue growth are over
- Verimatrix to provide security for NTT Plala's multiscreen offering
- Measat and Ericsson trial UHDTV satellite contribution
- Tvingo Telecom reaches 30,000 IPTV subscribers
- Telenet launches 'TV with a card' CI+ option
- Vectra launches new HD set-top box from Motorola
- Sigma Designs reports first quarter fiscal 2014 results
- Huawei widens lead in broadband CPE market
- Astro Malaysia adds 40k pay TV subscribers in quarter to end-April
- Minerva secures RDK licence from Comcast
- Amino and Intracom to provide IPTV entertainment solution to South Eastern European operator
- One billion pay TV subscribers by 2018
- Brazil to move final analogue switchover to 2018
- Comcast introduces X2 Xfinity platform
- Time Warner Cable to bring content to Samsung Smart TVs without a Set Top Box
- Simple.TV adds Rovi Entertainment Store
- 115 million U.S. and Canadian pay TV subscribers to have access to multiscreen services by 2016
- NTT to show 4K internet streaming to a set-top box at IMC Tokyo 2013