Digital TV News: Liberty Global
Liberty Global extends its dominance in Europe
Nov 13, 2013 – Pay TV subscriptions for the 102 operators across 26 countries covered in a new report from Digital TV Research will increase from a collective 105.8 million in 2008 to 131.9 million in 2012 and onto 147.1 million by 2018.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Cable TV, Digital TV, Europe, IPTV, Market Research, Satellite, Subscribers
Massive boom forecast for connected TV
Oct 9, 2013 – The number of TV sets connected to the Internet will reach 759 million by 2018 for the 40 countries covered in the Connected TV Forecasts report, up from 115 million at end-2010 and the 307 million expected at end-2013.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, Smart TV
Liberty Global taps ActiveVideo CloudTV to complement cloud UI strategy
Sep 12, 2013 – ActiveVideo and Liberty Global (NASDAQ: LBTYA) have announced that ActiveVideo's CloudTV™ software platform has been enlisted by Liberty Global to expand the user experiences offered by Horizon TV, Liberty Global's media and entertainment platform.
News categories: ActiveVideo, Liberty Global, Aamir Hussain, Jeff Miller, Cable TV, Digital TV, Infrastructure, Middleware, Set Top Box
Unitymedia KabelBW to deploy Horizon gateway from September 4th
Aug 6, 2013 – Germany's Unitymedia KabelBW has announced that Liberty Global's Horizon TV and media platform will be available on its cable network from the 4th of September 2013. Initially the gateway will be available in Hesse and North-Rhine Westphalia.
News categories: Unitymedia, Cable TV, Digital TV, Gateway, Germany, Personal Video Recorder, Set Top Box
Pace interim results for the 6 months ended 30 June 2013
Jul 30, 2013 – Pace (LSE: PIC) has released Interim Results for the 6 months ended 30th June 2013. STB and Media Server revenues were up 51.8% in H1 2013 driven largely by the continuing high demand for Media Servers from both Comcast and DIRECTV.
News categories: Pace plc, Cable TV, Gateway, Results, Satellite, Set Top Box
Classic Video on Demand vendors risk losing half VOD market by 2018
Jun 4, 2013 – The shift of video consumption to tablets and smartphones is causing operator requirements for video on demand (VOD) systems to change as vendors struggle to keep up with current generation needs, according to ABI Research.
News categories: ABI Research, Infrastructure, Market Research
Virgin Media TV customers down 13,400 in 1Q 2013
Apr 24, 2013 – Virgin Media (NASDAQ: VMED; LSE: VMED) has announced results for the quarter ended March 31, 2013. The company added 171,900 TiVo customers during the quarter to reach a total of 1.5m, which represents 40% of its TV customer base.
News categories: Virgin Media, Cable TV, Results, UK
Telenet Selects Cisco Videoscape Snowflake to Provide Multiscreen Yelo TV User Experience
Mar 5, 2013 – Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO) has announced that Telenet, a cable TV operator in Belgium, has selected the Cisco Videoscape™ Snowflake user interface to provide advanced navigation of content and services across its platform.
News categories: Cisco Systems, Telenet, Belgium, Cable TV, Infrastructure, Middleware
- South Africa's Cabinet issues statement on conditional access
- Mongolia's MNBC migrates to DVB-T2 with Thomson video headend
- Qualy TV DTH arrives in Costa Rica
- Elliptic Technologies announces hardware-enforced content protection for Microsoft® PlayReady®
- Marvell unveils SoC for Google Services for Smart TVs with Hisense
- Bosnia's m:tel to upgrade IPTV service with Motorola
- Gartner says worldwide semiconductor revenue grew 5.2 percent in 2013
- LG to incorporate Qualcomm's AllJoyn into Smart TV platform
- Semiconductor sales recover in 2013
- Ono TV Online launches in Spain
- Rostelecom IPTV subscribers reach 2 million
- Sigma Designs announces turn-key hybrid set top box with Ginga
- SMiT launches CI+ 1.3 VoD CAM into Netherlands market
- INSIDE Secure protects premium mobile entertainment for Sky Italia
- Sequans and Huawei collaborate to advance LTE broadcast technology
- SmarDTV CI Plus modules for RCS & RDS pay TV in Romania and Hungary
- ATSC establishes Candidate Standard for Interactive TV
- Portugal adds 13,000 pay TV subscribers in 3Q 2013
- Smart TV market worth $265 billion by 2016
- New Zealand switches off analogue TV signal