Digital TV News: Netflix
PlayOn adds support for Chromecast
Sep 19, 2013 – PlayOn has announced that it will be adding Chromecast to its list of supported streaming devices and has unveiled PlayCast, a PlayOn feature that offers Chromecast-like browser video projection for Roku, Xbox 360 and Chromecast users.
News categories: PlayOn, Jeff Lawrence, Apps, Digital TV, Games Console, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV
Sony introduces BRAVIA Smart Stick with Google Services
Sep 18, 2013 – Sony Electronics has announced its next-generation smart TV device, the NSZ-GU1 BRAVIA Smart Stick, making it easier for owners of Sony's 2013 TV line-up to discover and watch exactly what they want, from TV programming to apps and websites.
News categories: Sony Electronics, Jamie Marsh, Digital TV, Middleware, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV
IPTV defies drop in US pay TV market to gain subscribers in Q2
Sep 13, 2013 – Amid a plunge in subscribers for cable and satellite providers, Internet Protocol Television (IPTV) was the only segment of the U.S. pay-TV market to achieve growth in the second quarter, according to a new Television Intelligence report from IHS Inc.
News categories: IHS Inc, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, Satellite, Subscribers, USA
Pay TV operators to dominate market for online subscription TV
Sep 12, 2013 – According to Strategy Analytics, pay TV operators will dominate the market for online subscription TV, heralding the end of the first phase of online viewing which saw the rise of on-demand specialists such as Netflix and YouTube.
News categories: Strategy Analytics, Ed Barton, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT
Netflix coming to Virgin Media
Sep 10, 2013 – Virgin Media has announced that it will bring Netflix onto a pay-TV platform for the first time. Using the Netflix app, Virgin Media TiVo households will be able to watch Netflix series, documentaries, comedy and kids titles through their set-top box.
News categories: Virgin Media, Netflix, Apps, Cable TV, Digital TV, OTT, Set Top Box, UK
GameTree™ TV launches on Philips Smart TVs
Sep 5, 2013 – TransGaming (TSX VENTURE:TNG) has announced the launch of GameTree™ TV on TP Vision's line of Philip's TVs. GameTree TV can be played on the 2013 Smart TV's showed at IFA.
News categories: TransGaming, TP Vision, Apps, IFA2013, Smart TV
MHL Consortium announces MHL 3.0 specification
Aug 20, 2013 – MHL, LLC has announced the MHL 3.0 specification to address the latest consumer requirements for connecting a mobile device to displays, marking major advancements in the areas of audio and video transmission over an MHL® link.
News categories: MHL Consortium, Connectivity, Multiscreen, Smart TV, Smartphone, Tablet
TiVo launches Roamio DVR for live, recorded, and OTT TV
Aug 20, 2013 – TiVo (NASDAQ: TIVO) has announced the launch of the TiVo Roamio DVR, the all-in-one approach to live, recorded, on-demand and over-the-top television that gives consumers what they want on any screen, wherever they are.
News categories: TiVo Inc, Cable TV, Digital TV, OTT, Set Top Box, USA
- Mongolia's MNBC migrates to DVB-T2 with Thomson video headend
- Qualy TV DTH arrives in Costa Rica
- Elliptic Technologies announces hardware-enforced content protection for Microsoft® PlayReady®
- Marvell unveils SoC for Google Services for Smart TVs with Hisense
- Bosnia's m:tel to upgrade IPTV service with Motorola
- Gartner says worldwide semiconductor revenue grew 5.2 percent in 2013
- LG to incorporate Qualcomm's AllJoyn into Smart TV platform
- Semiconductor sales recover in 2013
- Ono TV Online launches in Spain
- Rostelecom IPTV subscribers reach 2 million
- Sigma Designs announces turn-key hybrid set top box with Ginga
- SMiT launches CI+ 1.3 VoD CAM into Netherlands market
- INSIDE Secure protects premium mobile entertainment for Sky Italia
- Sequans and Huawei collaborate to advance LTE broadcast technology
- SmarDTV CI Plus modules for RCS & RDS pay TV in Romania and Hungary
- ATSC establishes Candidate Standard for Interactive TV
- Portugal adds 13,000 pay TV subscribers in 3Q 2013
- Smart TV market worth $265 billion by 2016
- New Zealand switches off analogue TV signal
- LOVEFiLM launches streaming application on PlayStation 4