Digital TV News: Netflix
OpenTV files patent infringement lawsuit against Netflix
Dec 19, 2012 — OpenTV (SIX:KUD.S) has announced that it has filed a patent infringement lawsuit against Netflix (NASDAQ: NFLX) in the United States District Court in Delaware. The lawsuit alleges that Netflix is infringing U.S patents owned by OpenTV.
News categories: OpenTV, Netflix, Digital TV, Middleware, OTT, Patent
85 Percent of All Flat-Panel TVs Will Be Internet-Connected Smart TVs by 2016
Dec 18, 2012 — Nearly 85 percent of all flat-panel TVs produced in 2016 will be smart TVs, according to Gartner. Worldwide unit production of flat-panel smart TVs will grow from 69 million in 2012 to 198 million in 2016.
News categories: Gartner, Apps, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, Smart TV
PlayStation®3 becomes top platform for Netflix living room viewing
Dec 4, 2012 — Sony and Netflix (NASDAQ: NFLX) have announced that the PlayStation®3 (PS3®) is now the primary development platform for Netflix and is the world's most popular device for viewing movies and TV shows from Netflix on a television.
News categories: Sony Computer Entertainment, Netflix, Digital TV, Games Console, OTT, Set Top Box
Over half of US multichannel video households have a DVR
Nov 30, 2012 — Leichtman Research Group (LRG) has found that 52% of households in the US that subscribe to a multichannel video service have a Digital Video Recorder (DVR), compared to 4% for those do not subscribe to a multichannel video service.
News categories: Leichtman Research, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, Personal Video Recorder, Satellite, Set Top Box, USA
BSkyB's NOW TV extends reach with Roku launch
Nov 28, 2012 — BSkyB (LSE:BSY) has announced that NOW TV, its internet TV service is now available on Roku streaming players. NOW TV offers instant access to Sky Movies with no contract, set-up costs or installation.
News categories: BSkyB, Roku, NOW TV, OTT, Set Top Box, UK
Global online video market will be worth US$37 billion in 2017
Nov 22, 2012 — According to Informa Telecoms & Media, the global online-video market will be worth US$37 billion in 2017, driven by the popularity of services like Netflix and YouTube. Advertising will continue to be a larger revenue generator than subscriptions in 2017, as it is in 2012.
News categories: Informa Telecoms & Media, Market Research, OTT
OTT and Operator-Owned Multiscreen Service Penetration in UK to Exceed 75% and 52% Respectively by 2017
Nov 19, 2012 — According to ABI Research, the UK leads Europe in the adoption of both standalone OTT and operator-owned multiscreen services. Many UK consumers fit the multi-device profile, with more than 10% of the population already boasting an average of four connected devices.
News categories: ABI Research, Market Research, OTT, TV Everywhere, UK
OTT Rental Revenue to Surpass Subscription Services by 2014
Nov 1, 2012 — By 2017 ABI Research expects over-the-top (OTT) revenue to quadruple to $32 billion, up from the expected $8.2 billion in 2012. By 2014, ABI Research expects OTT rentals to surpass subscription revenues.
News categories: ABI Research, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT
- End-to-End Solution for OTT and IPTV delivered by Motama
- nangu.TV launches recommendation engine
- Microsoft unveils Xbox One home entertainment system
- Canby Telcom to create video streaming service on Roku
- Pathé partners with Xstream for Widevine DRM on iOS and Android devices
- Isobar and SKY Brazil launch first ever record-via-twitter service
- TDS TV upgrades to Mediaroom 2.3
- Sales of set-top boxes with embedded MoCA grew 23% in 2H12
- Telekom Malaysia's HyppTV IPTV service to go nationwide
- Multiscreen video delivery via residential gateways a fast-growing trend
- ITU-IEC produces metadata standard for cross-platform IPTV
- TalkTalk is Britain's fastest growing new TV service
- Vodafone to use Deutsche Telekom network for IPTV in Germany
- More than 3,000 on-demand services in Europe
- Russia to add 900,000 IPTV subscribers in 2013
- Mobile TV & video viewers to exceed 2 billion by 2017
- 24% of Russian homes equipped for satellite TV reception
- Belkin launches Dyle™ Mobile TV Receiver for iPad/iPhone
- Eastern Europe to add 13 million digital TV homes in 2013
- Vivendi (Canal+, GVT) releases first quarter 2013 results