Digital TV News: ABI Research
Broadcom and ST tie for top spot in Set-top Box IC market
Apr 25, 2013 — Broadcom (NASDAQ: BRCM) and STMicroelectronics (NYSE: STM) tied in unit shipments for the worldwide set-top box IC Market in 2012, with both delivering between 85 and 86 million video SoCs for set-top boxes, according to ABI Research.
News categories: ABI Research, Digital TV, Market Research, Semiconductor, Set Top Box
18 million DVB-T2 STBs set to ship in 2015
Apr 24, 2013 — According to ABI Research, if remaining analogue television shutoff timelines go largely as planned, over 18 million DVB-T2 STBs will ship in 2015.
News categories: ABI Research, Digital TV, DVB-T2, Market Research, Set Top Box, Terrestrial
Over 60% Growth in Worldwide Over-the-top Video Revenue in 2012
Apr 10, 2013 — Companies like Netflix, Hulu, Apple, and Amazon helped drive the over-the-top (OTT) video market past $8 billion in 2012. The three largest markets--North America, Europe, and Asia-Pacific--experienced YoY growth in excess of 50% in 2012, according to ABI Research.
News categories: ABI Research, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT
Cardless CAS in cable networks to grow 300% from 2012 to 2017
Apr 2, 2013 — According to ABI Research, many operators see software security as catching up to hardware security in terms of ability to cost-effectively protect content, especially in emerging markets with low content value (measured by monthly average revenue per user, ARPU, for Pay TV services).
News categories: ABI Research, Cable TV, Conditional Access, Content Protection, Market Research
Broadcom announces high-definition cable digital-transport adapter SoC
Mar 11, 2013 — Broadcom (NASDAQ: BRCM) has announced a high definition (HD) cable digital-transport adapter (DTA) system-on-a-chip (SoC) with integrated Full-Band Capture technology. The BCM7576 enables North American cable operators to provide enhanced basic digital HD services.
News categories: Broadcom, Cable TV, Digital TV, ICs, Semiconductor, Set Top Box, USA
Video Hardware Infrastructure Revenues to Reach $3.8 Billion by 2017 as Consolidation Gathers Pace
Mar 1, 2013 — According to ABI Research, the infrastructure video equipment market will reach $3.8 billion dollars in 2017, up from $2.8 billion in 2012. Video encoders represent the fasted growing sub segment, growing over 10% annually, compared to 6% for the market as a whole.
News categories: ABI Research, Infrastructure, Market Research
Cisco Wins Big in India as Chinese Set-top Box Manufacturers Surge
Feb 19, 2013 — Cisco Systems won significant standard definition (SD) set-top box business in India in the quarter ending January 26, 2013. Cisco shipped 1.3 million boxes in the fourth quarter compared with 850K in the third quarter, according to ABI Research.
News categories: ABI Research, Digital TV, Market Research, Set Top Box
IPTV providers to take 18% of a $304 billion market by 2018
Feb 5, 2013 — The worldwide Pay-TV market grew at a steady pace in 2012 generating $238 billion by end-of-year, up from $223 billion in 2011, according to ABI Research. The global Pay-TV market is expected to generate $304 billion in 2018 with a CAGR of 4%.
News categories: ABI Research, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, Satellite
- Multiscreen video delivery via residential gateways a fast-growing trend
- TalkTalk is Britain's fastest growing new TV service
- Vodafone to use Deutsche Telekom network for IPTV in Germany
- More than 3,000 on-demand services in Europe
- Russia to add 900,000 IPTV subscribers in 2013
- Mobile TV & video viewers to exceed 2 billion by 2017
- 24% of Russian homes equipped for satellite TV reception
- Belkin launches Dyle™ Mobile TV Receiver for iPad/iPhone
- Eastern Europe to add 13 million digital TV homes in 2013
- Vivendi (Canal+, GVT) releases first quarter 2013 results
- Farncombe and Inview collaborate on OTT solutions for the LatAm market
- Espial powers Harvard Freeview hybrid STBs and multiscreen apps
- Bhagyanagar Digital Services Indian cable consortium to use Conax content security
- HD+ increases customer base to 1.1 million German households in 1Q 2013
- BT Vision subscribers up 40,000 to 810,000 in 1Q 2013
- Reliance Digital TV subscribers unchanged in 1Q 2013 at 4.6 million
- Canal+ Spain subscribers down 26,500 in 1Q 2013
- StarHub pay TV subscribers down 4,000 in 1Q 2013
- DISH Network Reports First Quarter 2013 Financial Results
- NHK and Mitsubishi Develop World's First HEVC Encoder for 8K Super Hi-Vision