Digital TV News: ABI Research
Worldwide pay TV subscriber base surpasses 886.5 million in 3Q 2013
Nov 13, 2013 – Worldwide pay-TV subscriber base surpassed 886.5 million at the end of 3Q 2013; a 6% YoY increase, generating US$ 62.6 billion service revenue in the third quarter, according to ABI Research.
News categories: ABI Research, Khin Sandi Lynn, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, Satellite, Subscribers
North America to be first to 5% 4K TV household penetration
Nov 6, 2013 – Asia-Pacific, notably, China, is expected to lead 4K (or Ultra HD) TV unit shipments. However, the North American market is anticipated to be the first region to eclipse 5% (in 2017) and 10% (by end of 2018) of TV households, according to ABI Research.
News categories: ABI Research, Michael Inouye, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart TV
Worldwide total semiconductor market to grow 3% in 2013
Sep 12, 2013 – According to ABI Research, the worldwide semiconductor market is expected to grow 3% from 2012 to 2013. There has been sequential market growth from 1Q13 to 2Q13 and the vast majority of the top 20 vendors are expecting 3Q13 to grow revenues again.
News categories: ABI Research, Peter Cooney, Market Research, Semiconductor
Worldwide pay TV service revenue to reach $245 billion in 2013
Sep 4, 2013 – The global Pay TV market continues to grow in the first two quarters of 2013, adding 23 million new subscribers for a 3% increase. Telco TV and satellite TV growth was robust while cable and terrestrial Pay TV services were virtually flat.
News categories: ABI Research, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, Satellite, Terrestrial
Amidst strong competition Smart Set-top Boxes and Dongles continue to grow
Aug 26, 2013 – The smart set-top box and dongle market is expected to pass 18 million units in 2013--higher than originally forecasted due to the arrival of Google's Chromecast device. Overall the market is expected to grow with a 10.8% CAGR (2013 to 2018), says ABI Research.
News categories: ABI Research, Digital TV, Market Research, Set Top Box
EPGs and metadata a bright spot in TV Middleware market
Jul 9, 2013 – The traditional TV middleware market, which was relatively flat between 2010 and 2011, grew 11% through 2012 to reach $1.13 billion, according to ABI Research.
News categories: ABI Research, Digital TV, Market Research, Middleware
Classic Video on Demand vendors risk losing half VOD market by 2018
Jun 4, 2013 – The shift of video consumption to tablets and smartphones is causing operator requirements for video on demand (VOD) systems to change as vendors struggle to keep up with current generation needs, according to ABI Research.
News categories: ABI Research, Infrastructure, Market Research
Broadcom and ST tie for top spot in Set-top Box IC market
Apr 25, 2013 – Broadcom (NASDAQ: BRCM) and STMicroelectronics (NYSE: STM) tied in unit shipments for the worldwide set-top box IC Market in 2012, with both delivering between 85 and 86 million video SoCs for set-top boxes, according to ABI Research.
News categories: ABI Research, Digital TV, Market Research, Semiconductor, Set Top Box
- South Africa's Cabinet issues statement on conditional access
- Mongolia's MNBC migrates to DVB-T2 with Thomson video headend
- Qualy TV DTH arrives in Costa Rica
- Elliptic Technologies announces hardware-enforced content protection for Microsoft® PlayReady®
- Marvell unveils SoC for Google Services for Smart TVs with Hisense
- Bosnia's m:tel to upgrade IPTV service with Motorola
- Gartner says worldwide semiconductor revenue grew 5.2 percent in 2013
- LG to incorporate Qualcomm's AllJoyn into Smart TV platform
- Semiconductor sales recover in 2013
- Ono TV Online launches in Spain
- Rostelecom IPTV subscribers reach 2 million
- Sigma Designs announces turn-key hybrid set top box with Ginga
- SMiT launches CI+ 1.3 VoD CAM into Netherlands market
- INSIDE Secure protects premium mobile entertainment for Sky Italia
- Sequans and Huawei collaborate to advance LTE broadcast technology
- SmarDTV CI Plus modules for RCS & RDS pay TV in Romania and Hungary
- ATSC establishes Candidate Standard for Interactive TV
- Portugal adds 13,000 pay TV subscribers in 3Q 2013
- Smart TV market worth $265 billion by 2016
- New Zealand switches off analogue TV signal