Digital TV News: European Commission
European Commission seeks views on internet-TV convergence
Apr 24, 2013 — The Commission wants to explore what the convergence of the internet with television content could mean for Europe's economic growth and innovation, cultural diversity, and consumers (especially those that may need protection, such as children.)
News categories: European Commission, Digital TV, EU, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV
Poland's UOKiK gives consent to ITI/CANAL+ satellite JV
Sep 14, 2012 — Poland's Office of Competition and Consumer Protection (UOKiK) has approved the setting up of a satellite TV joint venture in the country by TVN and Vivendi. The deal will combine TVN's 'n' platform and Vivendi's Cyfra Plus.
News categories: UOKiK, Vivendi, TVN Group, M&A, Poland, Regulation, Satellite
Only 20% to 30% of European connected TVs are actually online
May 7, 2012 — The European Commission has presented a report on the application of its Audiovisual Media Services Directive (AVMSD). The report says that although many of the TV sets sold in Europe are connectable, only 20% to 30 % are actually online.
News categories: European Commission, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Digital TV, Estonia, EU, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Market Research, Netherlands, OTT, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Smart TV, Spain, Sweden, UK
High Definition channels in Europe on the up
Mar 29, 2012 — Recent data from the MAVISE TV database, developed by the European Audiovisual Observatory, shows the current status of the European television market. MAVISE contains data on the EU markets plus the candidates Croatia, Macedonia and Turkey.
News categories: MAVISE, European Audiovisual Observatory, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cable TV, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Digital TV, Estonia, EU, Europe, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, IPTV, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Malta, Market Research, MIPTV, Mobile, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Satellite, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Terrestrial, Turkey, UK
Digital cable TV homes in Europe up 13% in 2011
Mar 7, 2012 — According to figures released by Cable Europe, Europe's ongoing switch away from analogue services helped the total number of digital cable TV homes served by cable operators to increase by 13% in 2011.
News categories: Cable Europe, Cable TV, Europe, Market Research, Subscribers
INTEK Digital selects Opera to deliver better Web on world first Android-based hybrid set-top boxes
Jan 9, 2012 — Opera Software and INTEK Digital have announced that the two companies will work together. Opera Software will provide licenses for the Opera Devices SDK on its Android-based Hybrid set-top box (STB) including HbbTV.
News categories: Opera Software, INTEK Digital, CES, Digital TV, HbbTV, Middleware, OTT, Set Top Box
Digital Terrestrial Set-top Box Shipments to Peak in 2012
Dec 15, 2011 — New data from IMS Research indicates that worldwide set-top box shipments for the digital terrestrial platform will peak in 2012 with 20.5 million shipments. Nearly 25% of these set-top boxes will be shipped into Western European nations.
News categories: IMS Research, Digital TV, Market Research, Satellite, Set Top Box, Terrestrial
Europeans prefer all in one 'packages' for internet, phone and TV
Jul 12, 2011 — Four out of ten Europeans households are buying 'bundled' internet, phone and TV services from a single provider, a new Eurobarometer survey shows. The E-Communications Household Survey was carried out between 9 February and 8 March 2011.
News categories: European Commission, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cable TV, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, EU, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, IPTV, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Market Research, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Satellite, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Terrestrial, UK
- Multiscreen video delivery via residential gateways a fast-growing trend
- TalkTalk is Britain's fastest growing new TV service
- Vodafone to use Deutsche Telekom network for IPTV in Germany
- More than 3,000 on-demand services in Europe
- Russia to add 900,000 IPTV subscribers in 2013
- Mobile TV & video viewers to exceed 2 billion by 2017
- 24% of Russian homes equipped for satellite TV reception
- Belkin launches Dyle™ Mobile TV Receiver for iPad/iPhone
- Eastern Europe to add 13 million digital TV homes in 2013
- Vivendi (Canal+, GVT) releases first quarter 2013 results
- Farncombe and Inview collaborate on OTT solutions for the LatAm market
- Espial powers Harvard Freeview hybrid STBs and multiscreen apps
- Bhagyanagar Digital Services Indian cable consortium to use Conax content security
- HD+ increases customer base to 1.1 million German households in 1Q 2013
- BT Vision subscribers up 40,000 to 810,000 in 1Q 2013
- Reliance Digital TV subscribers unchanged in 1Q 2013 at 4.6 million
- Canal+ Spain subscribers down 26,500 in 1Q 2013
- StarHub pay TV subscribers down 4,000 in 1Q 2013
- DISH Network Reports First Quarter 2013 Financial Results
- NHK and Mitsubishi Develop World's First HEVC Encoder for 8K Super Hi-Vision