Digital TV News: Federal Communications Commission
FCC releases report on competition in the U.S. video programming delivery market
Jul 19, 2013 – The FCC has adopted its 15th Report to Congress on the status of competition in the market for the delivery of video programming. The Commission found that the number of MVPD subscribers grew from 100.8 million to 101.0 million households between year-end 2010 and June 2012.
News categories: Federal Communications Commission, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, OTT, Satellite, Subscribers, Terrestrial, USA
FCC Relaxes Basic-Tier Cable Encryption Prohibition
Oct 12, 2012 – The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has amended its rules to allow U.S. cable operators to encrypt the basic service tier in all-digital cable systems if they comply with certain consumer-protection measures.
News categories: Federal Communications Commission, Cable TV, Digital TV, Regulation, Set Top Box, Smart card / CAM, Smart TV, USA
FCC Issues NPRM to Modernize & Reform its Cable TV Technical Rules
Aug 3, 2012 – The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has adopted a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM) proposing to modernize and reform its cable TV technical rules, facilitating the industry's widespread transition from analog to digital transmission.
News categories: FCC, Cable TV, Regulation, USA
FCC Releases 14th Video Competition Report
Jul 20, 2012 – The most significant trends since the last report relate to the increased deployment of digital technology, consumers' rising demands for access to video programming anywhere and anytime, and the evolution of online video from a niche service into a thriving industry.
News categories: Federal Communications Commission, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, Multiscreen, OTT, PC Video, Satellite, Smart TV, Smartphone, Subscribers, Tablet, Terrestrial, USA
Nagra announces 2010 annual results
Feb 24, 2011 – The Kudelski Group (SIX:KUD.S) has announced its 2010 annual results. Group total revenues rose by 7.6%, driven by strong growth in the Digital TV division, with weaker growth rates in the Middleware and Advertising and Public Access segments.
News categories: Nagra, Cable TV, Conditional Access, Digital TV, Middleware, Multiscreen, OTT, Results, Satellite, Set Top Box
FCC Takes Action To Unleash Video Innovation And Consumer Choice
Oct 14, 2010 – The Federal Communications Commission has issued a Third Report and Order and Order on Reconsideration (Third R&O) to promote innovation and consumer choice in the video device marketplace.
News categories: Federal Communications Commission, Cable TV, Digital TV, Regulation, Set Top Box, Smart card / CAM, USA
FCC Grants Approval For Sending Recent Movies Directly To Consumers Over Secure TV Lines
May 7, 2010 – The FCC has approved a request by the MPAA to permit recent movies to be sent directly to American households over secure high definition transmission lines from their cable or satellite providers prior to their release on DVD or Blu-ray.
News categories: Federal Communications Commission, Motion Picture Association of America, Cable TV, Content Protection, IPTV, Regulation, Satellite, Set Top Box, USA
FCC Takes Action to Unleash Video Innovation and Consumer Choice
Apr 21, 2010 – The FCC has issued a Notice of Inquiry (NOI) and a Further Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (FNPRM) in seeking to create a competitive retail market for navigation devices for use with multichannel video programming distributors.
News categories: Federal Communications Commission, Blu-ray, Cable TV, Digital TV, Games Console, OCAP, OTT, Peripherals / Accessories, Regulation, Set Top Box, Smart card / CAM, Smart TV, USA
- South Africa's Cabinet issues statement on conditional access
- Mongolia's MNBC migrates to DVB-T2 with Thomson video headend
- Qualy TV DTH arrives in Costa Rica
- Elliptic Technologies announces hardware-enforced content protection for Microsoft® PlayReady®
- Marvell unveils SoC for Google Services for Smart TVs with Hisense
- Bosnia's m:tel to upgrade IPTV service with Motorola
- Gartner says worldwide semiconductor revenue grew 5.2 percent in 2013
- LG to incorporate Qualcomm's AllJoyn into Smart TV platform
- Semiconductor sales recover in 2013
- Ono TV Online launches in Spain
- Rostelecom IPTV subscribers reach 2 million
- Sigma Designs announces turn-key hybrid set top box with Ginga
- SMiT launches CI+ 1.3 VoD CAM into Netherlands market
- INSIDE Secure protects premium mobile entertainment for Sky Italia
- Sequans and Huawei collaborate to advance LTE broadcast technology
- SmarDTV CI Plus modules for RCS & RDS pay TV in Romania and Hungary
- ATSC establishes Candidate Standard for Interactive TV
- Portugal adds 13,000 pay TV subscribers in 3Q 2013
- Smart TV market worth $265 billion by 2016
- New Zealand switches off analogue TV signal