Digital TV News: Informa Telecoms & Media
Smart TVs purchased in 2012 effectively obsolete by 2015
Nov 28, 2012 — With their long lifecycles, TVs are not the right device to be the hub of the digital home. Instead, devices that are regularly replaced will be the key devices in the digital home experience, according to Informa Telecoms & Media.
News categories: Informa Telecoms & Media, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, Smart TV
Global online video market will be worth US$37 billion in 2017
Nov 22, 2012 — According to Informa Telecoms & Media, the global online-video market will be worth US$37 billion in 2017, driven by the popularity of services like Netflix and YouTube. Advertising will continue to be a larger revenue generator than subscriptions in 2017, as it is in 2012.
News categories: Informa Telecoms & Media, Market Research, OTT
Asia Pac TV market to pass one billion TV sets in 2012
Apr 24, 2012 — According to Informa Telecoms & Media, Asia Pacific is the world’s largest TV market and will pass the one billion TV sets mark this year. The region leads the way in terms of pay-TV subscribers with 394 million households taking pay-TV at the end of 2011.
News categories: Informa Telecoms & Media, Australia, China, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Market Research, New Zealand, Philippines, Singapore, Smart TV, Taiwan, Thailand, Vietnam
Connected TVs and Smartphones Providing Polar Opposite Challenges for CDNs
Jan 3, 2012 — In the next five years CDNs are going to be faced with the challenge of delivering increasingly large volumes of OTT video. In 2011 Informa expects OTT video will account for 32.6 Exabytes (EB) of network traffic over fixed line broadband in Asia alone.
News categories: Informa Telecoms & Media, Asia, Market Research, Mobile, OTT, PC Video, Smart TV, Smartphone, Tablet
94% of UK households will be HDTV-ready by 2016
Aug 24, 2011 — 94% of UK households will have a TV set capable of receiving HD programming by 2016, according to the latest forecasts from Informa Telecoms & Media. This compares favorably with the worldwide average of 48% and puts the UK third globally.
News categories: Informa Telecoms & Media, Market Research, Smart TV, UK
OTT TV viewers to outnumber IPTV viewers in 2013
Mar 22, 2011 — According to recent research from Informa Telecoms & Media, OTT-to-the-TV viewers will outnumber IPTV viewers by 2013. Informa forecasts that by 2015, 380 million people globally will view online video via connected devices.
News categories: Informa Telecoms & Media, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, OTT, TVConnect
Hong Kong leads the way in the Asia Pacific IPTV market
Nov 23, 2010 — Hong Kong has sealed its place as the leading IPTV market in the Asia Pacific region with just over 51.1% of homes receiving IPTV services at end-June this year, according to latest figures from Informa Telecoms & Media.
News categories: Informa Telecoms & Media, China, Digital TV, Hong Kong, IPTV, Japan, Korea, Market Research, Singapore, Taiwan, TVConnect
Pan-European 3D Channel Brava3D Starts on Astra
Nov 22, 2010 — SES ASTRA (Paris, LuxX: SESG) has announced that the Dutch TV channel Brava3D started broadcasting via the ASTRA satellite at 23.5 degrees East. Brava3D is the first pan-European 3D channel providing a mix of classical music, opera and ballet in 3D quality.
News categories: SES ASTRA, 3D, Europe, Satellite
- End-to-End Solution for OTT and IPTV delivered by Motama
- nangu.TV launches recommendation engine
- Microsoft unveils Xbox One home entertainment system
- Canby Telcom to create video streaming service on Roku
- Pathé partners with Xstream for Widevine DRM on iOS and Android devices
- Isobar and SKY Brazil launch first ever record-via-twitter service
- TDS TV upgrades to Mediaroom 2.3
- Sales of set-top boxes with embedded MoCA grew 23% in 2H12
- Telekom Malaysia's HyppTV IPTV service to go nationwide
- Multiscreen video delivery via residential gateways a fast-growing trend
- ITU-IEC produces metadata standard for cross-platform IPTV
- TalkTalk is Britain's fastest growing new TV service
- Vodafone to use Deutsche Telekom network for IPTV in Germany
- More than 3,000 on-demand services in Europe
- Russia to add 900,000 IPTV subscribers in 2013
- Mobile TV & video viewers to exceed 2 billion by 2017
- 24% of Russian homes equipped for satellite TV reception
- Belkin launches Dyle™ Mobile TV Receiver for iPad/iPhone
- Eastern Europe to add 13 million digital TV homes in 2013
- Vivendi (Canal+, GVT) releases first quarter 2013 results