Digital TV News: International Telecommunication Union
Television now 55% digital as analogue broadcasting switch-off advances worldwide
Nov 21, 2013 – The world has witnessed a massive shift from analogue to digital television, with over 55 per cent of households with a TV now receiving a digital signal compared with just 30 per cent in 2008, according to ITU research.
News categories: International Telecommunication Union, Brahima Sanou, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, Satellite, Terrestrial
Africa set to deploy digital television
Sep 5, 2013 – Frequency coordination negotiations have succeeded in setting up the mechanism to deploy digital television in 47 Sub-Saharan African countries. The consolidation of national plans is in conformity with the deadlines set in 2006 at ITU RRC-06.
News categories: International Telecommunication Union, Africa, Digital TV, Regulation, Terrestrial
Digital TV Group launches the UK UHD Forum
Aug 1, 2013 – The Digital TV Group has announced the launch of the UK UHD Forum. The group will co-ordinate UK requirements to build a knowledge base for the future interoperability of Ultra HD, and will work hand-in-hand with FAME and other European standards organisations.
News categories: Digital TV Group, Digital TV, Set Top Box, Smart TV, UK
ITU-IEC produces metadata standard for cross-platform IPTV
May 16, 2013 – Cooperation between ITU and the IEC has produced a metadata standard to enable rights information interoperability in IPTV services. The standard provides a framework for communicating data to ensure that multimedia content can be shared legally across different platforms.
News categories: International Telecommunication Union, International Electrotechnical Commission, IPTV
ITU gives first-stage approval to H.265 video coding standard
Jan 25, 2013 – The International Telecommunication Union has announced that its ITU-T Study Group 16 has agreed first-stage approval to Recommendation ITU-T H.265 or ISO/IEC 23008-2, known informally as 'High Efficiency Video Coding' (HEVC).
News categories: International Telecommunication Union, Digital TV
ITU launches 2nd IPTV Application Challenge
Jun 1, 2012 – The ITU's second IPTV Application Challenge is inviting IPTV solutions from individuals, SMEs and corporations to improve social welfare through services in fields such as e-health, e-government, e-learning, ICT accessibility and all aspects of Smart Living.
News categories: International Telecommunication Union, Apps, IPTV
3DTV gets a boost with new ITU-R Recommendations
May 31, 2012 – New ITU Recommendations on 3DTV are being submitted to Administrations for accelerated approval. ITU's Radiocommunication Sector (ITU-R) has developed the standards - or Recommendations - in its Study Group 6.
News categories: International Telecommunication Union, 3D, Digital TV, Infrastructure, Set Top Box, Smart TV
Arqiva to build digital infrastructure in Gibraltar
May 10, 2012 – Arqiva has won a 'design and build' contract from the Gibraltar Regulatory Authority (GRA) to provide a digital broadcasting network in Gibraltar. The network will comprise multiplexing and transmission for both digital TV and DAB digital radio.
News categories: Arqiva, Gibraltar Regulatory Authority, Gibraltar, Infrastructure, Terrestrial
- Magyar Telekom Group acquires 9 smaller cable networks
- Sigma Designs reports third quarter fiscal 2014 results
- Xbox One sells more than 2 million units in the first 18 days
- Hollywood to deliver UltraViolet video with Dolby Digital Plus
- Canal+ begins advanced testing of Frog By Wyplay software
- eircom deploys SeaChange for its eVision TV service
- Bouygues Telecom deploys Broadpeak IPTV servers
- SK broadband IPTV subscribers pass the 2 million mark
- ViXS reports results for the third quarter of fiscal 2014
- Thailand's Samart uses Dolby Digital Plus in HD DVB-T2 set-top boxes
- Telekom Austria selects Harmonic for new DTH platform
- Rohde & Schwarz to equip Qatar with DVB-T2 technology
- Global mobile & tablet entertainment revenues to reach almost $75 billion by 2017
- NimbleTV cloud-based TV service launches in NYC
- UUX iTaaS platform powers Telenor MyTV multiscreen TV
- Australia switches off final analogue free-to-air TV signal
- CANAL+ launches myCANAL second screen service
- Shipments of OTT-enabled devices set to reach 1.7 billion this year
- Telefonica losing Pay TV share in key Latin American markets
- Samsung licenses Reference Design Kit (RDK)