Digital TV News: NOW TV
Massive boom forecast for connected TV
Oct 9, 2013 – The number of TV sets connected to the Internet will reach 759 million by 2018 for the 40 countries covered in the Connected TV Forecasts report, up from 115 million at end-2010 and the 307 million expected at end-2013.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, Smart TV
Pay TV operators to dominate market for online subscription TV
Sep 12, 2013 – According to Strategy Analytics, pay TV operators will dominate the market for online subscription TV, heralding the end of the first phase of online viewing which saw the rise of on-demand specialists such as Netflix and YouTube.
News categories: Strategy Analytics, Ed Barton, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT
BSkyB launches £9.99 NOW TV HDMI dongle
Jul 26, 2013 – The £9.99 (~$15) NOW TV Box measures 84mm x 84mm x 24mm, plugs into a TV set via HDMI, and connects to the internet over the user's wireless home network. NOW TV offers terrestrial catch-up, pay-as-you-go sport and movies on demand.
News categories: BSkyB, Digital TV, OTT, Set Top Box, UK
BSkyB results for the twelve months ended 30 June 2013
Jul 26, 2013 – British Sky Broadcasting Group PLC (LSE:BSY) has released unaudited results for the twelve months ended 30 June 2013. Sky added another 117,000 HD customers and 122,000 Sky Go Extra customers in the quarter.
News categories: BSkyB, Ireland, OTT, Personal Video Recorder, Results, Satellite, Subscribers, UK
BSkyB's NOW TV arrives on PlayStation 3
Jul 5, 2013 – NOW TV, the internet TV service from the Uk's BSkyB (LSE:BSY), is now available on PlayStation®3. NOW TV offers instant access to Sky Movies and all six Sky Sports channels with no contract, set-up costs or installation.
News categories: BSkyB, Games Console, OTT, UK
PCCW's now TV adds 43,000 subscribers in 2012
Feb 27, 2013 – PCCW Limited (SEHK: 0008) has announced results for the year ended December 31, 2012. During the year, now TV recorded a net gain of 43,000 customers with the total installed subscriber base reaching 1,183,000 by the end of December 2012.
News categories: PCCW, Hong Kong, IPTV, Results, Subscribers
BSkyB results for the six months ended 31 December 2012
Jan 31, 2013 – BSkyB (LSE:BSY) has released results for the six months ended 31 December 2012. In TV, Sky added 50,000 new customers in the quarter. Of these, 25,000 are subscribers to its new internet TV service NOW TV.
News categories: BSkyB, Ireland, OTT, Results, Satellite, Set Top Box, Subscribers, UK
Hong Kong's now TV deploys Verimatrix VCAS for Internet TV
Dec 9, 2012 – Verimatrix has announced that PCCW's now TV is securing its over-the-top (OTT) video on demand (VoD) service with the Verimatrix Video Content Authority System (VCAS™) for Internet TV. now TV is Hong Kong's largest quad-play pay-TV provider.
News categories: Verimatrix, PCCW, Content Protection, Digital TV, Hong Kong, IPTV, OTT
- South Africa's Cabinet issues statement on conditional access
- Mongolia's MNBC migrates to DVB-T2 with Thomson video headend
- Qualy TV DTH arrives in Costa Rica
- Elliptic Technologies announces hardware-enforced content protection for Microsoft® PlayReady®
- Marvell unveils SoC for Google Services for Smart TVs with Hisense
- Bosnia's m:tel to upgrade IPTV service with Motorola
- Gartner says worldwide semiconductor revenue grew 5.2 percent in 2013
- LG to incorporate Qualcomm's AllJoyn into Smart TV platform
- Semiconductor sales recover in 2013
- Ono TV Online launches in Spain
- Rostelecom IPTV subscribers reach 2 million
- Sigma Designs announces turn-key hybrid set top box with Ginga
- SMiT launches CI+ 1.3 VoD CAM into Netherlands market
- INSIDE Secure protects premium mobile entertainment for Sky Italia
- Sequans and Huawei collaborate to advance LTE broadcast technology
- SmarDTV CI Plus modules for RCS & RDS pay TV in Romania and Hungary
- ATSC establishes Candidate Standard for Interactive TV
- Portugal adds 13,000 pay TV subscribers in 3Q 2013
- Smart TV market worth $265 billion by 2016
- New Zealand switches off analogue TV signal