Digital TV News: NPD Group
Nearly half of U.S. internet-capable home entertainment devices are connected and used
May 1, 2013 — Forty-seven percent of home entertainment devices are currently connected and being used for their online capabilities. But the degree to which these devices are used online varies significantly, according to The NPD Group.
News categories: NPD Group, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Games Console, Market Research, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, USA
Apple iTunes Dominates Internet Video Market
Apr 23, 2013 — According to NPD, Apple dominates the home digital-video sector in much the same way that it dominates digital music. iTunes’ share of electronic sell-through for television shows reached 67 percent in 2012 with Xbox Video, the nearest competitor, on 14 percent of the market.
News categories: NPD Group, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT
Second Screens Vying for TV Viewers' Attention
Apr 9, 2013 — According to new information from The NPD Group, nearly all (88 percent) U.S. households own at least one device that can be used as a second screen, with 87 percent of U.S. entertainment consumers reported to be using at least one second-screen device while watching television.
News categories: NPD Group, Apps, Digital TV, Market Research, Smartphone, Social TV, Tablet
Telecom TV Services Increase Share of U.S. VOD-Movie-Rental Market
Mar 4, 2013 — According to The NPD Group, in 2012, cable-TV operators continued to control over half (56%) of the overall $1.3 billion U.S. multichannel video programming distributor (MVPD) transactional-VOD-movie market, followed by satellite-TV operators (27%), and telecom operators (18%).
News categories: NPD Group, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, Satellite, USA
More than 400 Million Devices are Connected in U.S. Homes
Jan 2, 2013 — There are 425 million devices connected to the Internet in U.S. homes, according to a report from The NPD Group. The report found that while computers are still the primary connected device, numerous others are diminishing the computer’s relevance to the broadband content marketplace.
News categories: NPD Group, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Games Console, Market Research, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Smartphone, Tablet, USA
Nearly Half Of All Paid Video-on-Demand Movie Rental Orders Generated by Cable Companies
Sep 24, 2012 — According to The NPD Group, although renting movies through Internet video on demand (iVOD) is making inroads with a small but growing group of consumers, cable companies are consumers’ first choice when they order on-demand movies on a per-use basis.
News categories: NPD Group, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, OTT, Satellite
DVDs and Blu-ray Discs Still Consumers’ Choice for Feature-Length Movie Rentals
Aug 8, 2012 — According to The NPD Group, rentals of physical DVDs and Blu-ray discs (BDs) from kiosks, brick-and-mortar retailers, and Netflix Movies by Mail accounted for 62 percent of movie rental orders during the first half of this year.
News categories: NPD Group, Blu-ray, Digital TV, DVD, Market Research, OTT, USA
Consumers in Emerging Markets, Such as China and Brazil, Will Drive TV Demand
Jul 24, 2012 — According to NPD DisplaySearch, consumers in emerging markets are to drive the next round of demand, with more than 40% planning to purchase a TV in the next 12 months. Declining prices, increased brand promotions, and an on-going replacement cycle are the main reasons.
News categories: DisplaySearch, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, PC Video, Smart TV, Smartphone, Tablet
- End-to-End Solution for OTT and IPTV delivered by Motama
- nangu.TV launches recommendation engine
- Microsoft unveils Xbox One home entertainment system
- Canby Telcom to create video streaming service on Roku
- Pathé partners with Xstream for Widevine DRM on iOS and Android devices
- Isobar and SKY Brazil launch first ever record-via-twitter service
- TDS TV upgrades to Mediaroom 2.3
- Telekom Malaysia's HyppTV IPTV service to go nationwide
- Multiscreen video delivery via residential gateways a fast-growing trend
- ITU-IEC produces metadata standard for cross-platform IPTV
- TalkTalk is Britain's fastest growing new TV service
- Vodafone to use Deutsche Telekom network for IPTV in Germany
- More than 3,000 on-demand services in Europe
- Russia to add 900,000 IPTV subscribers in 2013
- Mobile TV & video viewers to exceed 2 billion by 2017
- 24% of Russian homes equipped for satellite TV reception
- Belkin launches Dyle™ Mobile TV Receiver for iPad/iPhone
- Eastern Europe to add 13 million digital TV homes in 2013
- Vivendi (Canal+, GVT) releases first quarter 2013 results
- Farncombe and Inview collaborate on OTT solutions for the LatAm market