Digital TV News: NPD Group
Nearly half of U.S. internet-capable home entertainment devices are connected and used
May 1, 2013 – Forty-seven percent of home entertainment devices are currently connected and being used for their online capabilities. But the degree to which these devices are used online varies significantly, according to The NPD Group.
News categories: NPD Group, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Games Console, Market Research, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, USA
Apple iTunes Dominates Internet Video Market
Apr 23, 2013 – According to NPD, Apple dominates the home digital-video sector in much the same way that it dominates digital music. iTunes' share of electronic sell-through for television shows reached 67 percent in 2012 with Xbox Video, the nearest competitor, on 14 percent of the market.
News categories: NPD Group, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT
Second Screens Vying for TV Viewers' Attention
Apr 9, 2013 – According to new information from The NPD Group, nearly all (88 percent) U.S. households own at least one device that can be used as a second screen, with 87 percent of U.S. entertainment consumers reported to be using at least one second-screen device while watching television.
News categories: NPD Group, Apps, Digital TV, Market Research, Smartphone, Social TV, Tablet
Telecom TV Services Increase Share of U.S. VOD-Movie-Rental Market
Mar 4, 2013 – According to The NPD Group, in 2012, cable-TV operators continued to control over half (56%) of the overall $1.3 billion U.S. multichannel video programming distributor (MVPD) transactional-VOD-movie market, followed by satellite-TV operators (27%), and telecom operators (18%).
News categories: NPD Group, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, Satellite, USA
More than 400 Million Devices are Connected in U.S. Homes
Jan 2, 2013 – There are 425 million devices connected to the Internet in U.S. homes, according to a report from The NPD Group. The report found that while computers are still the primary connected device, numerous others are diminishing the computer's relevance to the broadband content marketplace.
News categories: NPD Group, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Games Console, Market Research, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Smartphone, Tablet, USA
Nearly Half Of All Paid Video-on-Demand Movie Rental Orders Generated by Cable Companies
Sep 24, 2012 – According to The NPD Group, although renting movies through Internet video on demand (iVOD) is making inroads with a small but growing group of consumers, cable companies are consumers' first choice when they order on-demand movies on a per-use basis.
News categories: NPD Group, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, OTT, Satellite
DVDs and Blu-ray Discs Still Consumers' Choice for Feature-Length Movie Rentals
Aug 8, 2012 – According to The NPD Group, rentals of physical DVDs and Blu-ray discs (BDs) from kiosks, brick-and-mortar retailers, and Netflix Movies by Mail accounted for 62 percent of movie rental orders during the first half of this year.
News categories: NPD Group, Blu-ray, Digital TV, DVD, Market Research, OTT, USA
Consumers in Emerging Markets, Such as China and Brazil, Will Drive TV Demand
Jul 24, 2012 – According to NPD DisplaySearch, consumers in emerging markets are to drive the next round of demand, with more than 40% planning to purchase a TV in the next 12 months. Declining prices, increased brand promotions, and an on-going replacement cycle are the main reasons.
News categories: DisplaySearch, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, PC Video, Smart TV, Smartphone, Tablet
- Australia switches off final analogue free-to-air TV signal
- Shipments of OTT-enabled devices set to reach 1.7 billion this year
- Telefonica losing Pay TV share in key Latin American markets
- Cyta Hellas launches IPTV in Greece
- Stream TV partners with BOE to introduce 55" 4K 3D glasses-free display
- India's Fastway orders 1 million Conax secure clients
- Fetch TV celebrates 100K subscribers with launch of upgraded mobile app
- DVRs levelling off at about half of all US TV households
- South Africa to switch on digital TV by April 1, 2014
- Kidoodle TV OTT service for children launches in USA and Canada
- South Africa's Cabinet issues statement on conditional access
- Mongolia's MNBC migrates to DVB-T2 with Thomson video headend
- Qualy TV DTH arrives in Costa Rica
- Elliptic Technologies announces hardware-enforced content protection for Microsoft® PlayReady®
- Marvell unveils SoC for Google Services for Smart TVs with Hisense
- Bosnia's m:tel to upgrade IPTV service with Motorola
- Gartner says worldwide semiconductor revenue grew 5.2 percent in 2013
- LG to incorporate Qualcomm's AllJoyn into Smart TV platform
- Semiconductor sales recover in 2013
- Ono TV Online launches in Spain