Digital TV News: TTP
Australia switches off final analogue free-to-air TV signal
Dec 10, 2013 – Australia has completed its switchover from analogue to digital-only television. The last of Australia's analogue free-to-air television signals have been switched off in Melbourne and communities in Remote Central and Eastern Australia.
News categories: Australia, Digital TV, Infrastructure, Terrestrial
Marvell unveils SoC for Google Services for Smart TVs with Hisense
Dec 4, 2013 – Marvell (NASDAQ: MRVL) has announced a Full HD media processor, the ARMADA® 1500 Plus system-on-chip (SoC), designed for smart video products based on Android JellyBean 4.2.2. Hisense is to use the SoC in TV Products supporting Google Services for Smart TVs.
News categories: Marvell, Hisense, Weili Dai, Vincent Dureau, Charlie Wang, Digital TV, ICs, Middleware, OTT, Semiconductor, Set Top Box, Smart TV
Semiconductor sales recover in 2013
Dec 3, 2013 – Following a 2.5 percent decline in 2012, the global semiconductor market has regained its footing in 2013 with revenue set to expand by nearly 5 percent because of the strong performance of the memory sector.
News categories: IHS Inc, Dale Ford, Market Research, Semiconductor
Sigma Designs announces turn-key hybrid set top box with Ginga
Dec 3, 2013 – Sigma Designs (NASDAQ: SIGM) has announced that Latin American STB manufacturers are engaging in the production of a turn-key solution based on Sigma's SoC for hybrid set top boxes for Argentina and other countries using ISDB-T.
News categories: Sigma Designs, Mach Electronics, Nicolás Bloise, Jose-Luis Martinez, Mustafa Ozgen, Argentina, CES, Digital TV, ISDB-T, Latin America, Middleware, SBTVD, Semiconductor, Set Top Box, Terrestrial
Triple-play revenues to reach $144 billion in 2018
Nov 26, 2013 – Telcos and cable operators are investing heavily in their networks to upgrade their subscribers to bundles. These operators will reap the rewards of this investment as total subscription revenues will increase by 65% from $124 billion in 2012 to $205 billion in 2018, according to the Triple-Play Forecasts report from Digital TV Research.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, Satellite, Subscribers
Video is No 1 Activity on PC, Mobile and Tablet in U.S.
Nov 18, 2013 – GlobalWebIndex has launched its largest-ever report on US internet use. For the first time, it provides on-going tracking of the breakdown of specific digital behaviors by state, ethnicity and voting preference.
News categories: GlobalWebIndex, Tom Smith, Market Research, OTT, PC Video, Smartphone, Tablet, USA
Sizeable advances in US OTT TV viewing
Nov 14, 2013 – According to research from TDG, more than half of consumers with a net-connected TV have increased their use of over-the-top broadband TV sources in the last year, with 24% reporting a sizeable increase.
News categories: TDG, Michael Greeson, Laura Allen Phillips, Market Research, OTT, Smart TV, USA
bitmovin releases version 2.0 of its MPEG DASH streaming media client
Nov 13, 2013 – bitmovin has released its bitdash 2.0 streaming & client optimization framework. bitmovins' client is created to increase media streaming performance of MPEG-DASH players, rather than solely focusing on conformance to the MPEG-DASH standard.
News categories: bitmovin, Stefan Lederer, Media Player, Multiscreen, OTT
- Australia switches off final analogue free-to-air TV signal
- Telefonica losing Pay TV share in key Latin American markets
- Cyta Hellas launches IPTV in Greece
- Stream TV partners with BOE to introduce 55" 4K 3D glasses-free display
- India's Fastway orders 1 million Conax secure clients
- Fetch TV celebrates 100K subscribers with launch of upgraded mobile app
- DVRs levelling off at about half of all US TV households
- South Africa to switch on digital TV by April 1, 2014
- Kidoodle TV OTT service for children launches in USA and Canada
- South Africa's Cabinet issues statement on conditional access
- Mongolia's MNBC migrates to DVB-T2 with Thomson video headend
- Qualy TV DTH arrives in Costa Rica
- Elliptic Technologies announces hardware-enforced content protection for Microsoft® PlayReady®
- Marvell unveils SoC for Google Services for Smart TVs with Hisense
- Bosnia's m:tel to upgrade IPTV service with Motorola
- Gartner says worldwide semiconductor revenue grew 5.2 percent in 2013
- LG to incorporate Qualcomm's AllJoyn into Smart TV platform
- Semiconductor sales recover in 2013
- Ono TV Online launches in Spain
- Rostelecom IPTV subscribers reach 2 million