Digital TV News: TeleGeography
IPTV Broadband Penetration Reaches 15 Percent, Growth Prospects are Patchy
Jun 20, 2012 – TeleGeography analysis shows that IPTV penetration of telcos' broadband subscribers reached 15 percent in Q1 2012. However, widely differing IPTV and pay-TV penetration rates by region point to radically different IPTV growth prospects.
News categories: TeleGeography, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, Subscribers
HanseNet to deploy Sagem PVR
Mar 6, 2009 – HanseNet, a German subsidiary of Telecom Italia (Milan:TIT, NYSE:TI), is planning to make a new IPTV set-top box (STB) available to its Alice TV customers in the first half of 2009. The STB is a personal video recorder (PVR) supplied by Sagem.
News categories: HanseNet, Digital TV, Germany, IPTV, Personal Video Recorder, Set Top Box, Subscribers
J:COM considers broadcast satellite service
Sep 30, 2008 – Jupiter Telecommunications (J:COM) [JASDAQ: 4817] is reported to be considering offering a broadcast satellite-based TV service in order to broaden its customer base.
News categories: Jupiter Telecommunications, Cable TV, Digital TV, Japan, Satellite
Bouygues Telecom to launch IPTV in October
Sep 12, 2008 – According to news agency AFP, Bouygues Telecom (Paris:EN), France's third mobile operator, will launch its ADSL broadband TV service on October 20th, 2008.
News categories: Bouygues Telecom, Broadband, Digital TV, France, IPTV, Personal Video Recorder, Router, Set Top Box, Terrestrial
Orange Slovensko launches triple-play services
Sep 4, 2007 – Slovakia's largest mobile network operator by subscribers, Orange Slovensko, has announced the commercial launch of triple-play fibre-to-the-home (FTTH) broadband internet, digital TV and fixed line voice telephony services.
News categories: Broadband, Digital TV, Fibre, IPTV, Slovakia
Brazil - Nokia-Siemens to develop Oi's IPTV infrastructure
Jul 18, 2007 – Nokia Siemens Networks (NSN) has won a contract to develop IPTV infrastructure for Brazil's largest fixed line operator Oi.
News categories: Nokia Siemens Networks (NSN), Oi, Brazil, Digital TV, IPTV
Cyprus - PrimeTel pleased with triple-play take-up
Jul 17, 2007 – Cypriot broadband provider PrimeTel has announced that it has signed up 8,000 residential users of its triple-play services, which include its PrimeTV IPTV service, offering over 100 TV channels, interactive games and video-on-demand library.
News categories: PrimeTel, Cyprus, Digital TV, IPTV, Subscribers
Russia - Sistema encounters problems with DVB-H plans
May 9, 2007 – Sistema says it has encountered problems with a request to use the transmission towers of national TV and radio broadcaster Russian Television and Radio Broadcasting Network (RTRS) in its bid to roll out DVB-H mobile TV services. More …
News categories: Digital TV, DVB-H, Multiscreen, Russia
- South Africa's Cabinet issues statement on conditional access
- Mongolia's MNBC migrates to DVB-T2 with Thomson video headend
- Qualy TV DTH arrives in Costa Rica
- Elliptic Technologies announces hardware-enforced content protection for Microsoft® PlayReady®
- Marvell unveils SoC for Google Services for Smart TVs with Hisense
- Bosnia's m:tel to upgrade IPTV service with Motorola
- Gartner says worldwide semiconductor revenue grew 5.2 percent in 2013
- LG to incorporate Qualcomm's AllJoyn into Smart TV platform
- Semiconductor sales recover in 2013
- Ono TV Online launches in Spain
- Rostelecom IPTV subscribers reach 2 million
- Sigma Designs announces turn-key hybrid set top box with Ginga
- SMiT launches CI+ 1.3 VoD CAM into Netherlands market
- INSIDE Secure protects premium mobile entertainment for Sky Italia
- Sequans and Huawei collaborate to advance LTE broadcast technology
- SmarDTV CI Plus modules for RCS & RDS pay TV in Romania and Hungary
- ATSC establishes Candidate Standard for Interactive TV
- Portugal adds 13,000 pay TV subscribers in 3Q 2013
- Smart TV market worth $265 billion by 2016
- New Zealand switches off analogue TV signal