Digital TV News: Telefónica
Kudelski reports 2011 half year results
Aug 23, 2011 — The Kudelski Group (SIX:KUD.S) has announced its 2011 half year results. Group total revenues in constant currency declined by 8.5%, while reported total revenues dropped by 21.9% compared to the first half of last year, reaching CHF 392.2 million.
News categories: Kudelski, Cable TV, Conditional Access, Content Protection, Middleware, OTT, Results, Satellite, Smart card / CAM, Terrestrial
Spain ends Q1 2011 with 5 million pay TV subscribers
Jul 26, 2011 — Spain’s Telecommunications Market Commission (CMT) has published telecommunications statistics for the country for the first quarter of 2011. Total pay TV subscribers passed the 5 million mark in the first quarter.
News categories: Comisión del Mercado de las Telecomunicaciones, Cable TV, IPTV, Market Research, Mobile, Satellite, Spain, Subscribers, Terrestrial
Three Co-ops to launch OTT and VOD in Argentina
Jun 29, 2011 — Three telephone companies belonging to Argentina's Chamber of Telecommunications Cooperatives (Catel) are planning to launch OTT and VOD TV in September. The coops, Telpin, Telviso and TelVGG, will provide the service through a dedicated IP set-top box.
News categories: Cámara de Cooperativas de Telecomunicaciones, Telpin, Telviso, TelVGG, Argentina, Digital TV, IPTV, OTT, Set Top Box
Mediaset Begins The First Beta Test Broadcast Of HbbTV In Spain
Jun 17, 2011 — Mediaset Spain (Madrid: TL5) has begun beta tests of its HbbTV technology through the technological development carried out by Telefónica (Madrid and NYSE: TEF), thus becoming a forerunner in implementing HbbTV in Spain.
News categories: Mediaset, Telefónica, Digital TV, HbbTV, IPTV, Middleware, OTT, Spain
Telefónica to use Xbox as a set-top box in Spain
Jun 16, 2011 — According to Cinco Días, Telefónica (Madrid and NYSE: TEF) has signed an agreement with Microsoft (Nasdaq: MSFT) to use Microsoft's Xbox games console as a television set-top box. Details are to be announced in a few weeks.
News categories: Xbox, Telefónica, Digital TV, Games Console, IPTV, Set Top Box, Spain
Digital TV homes to triple in Latin America
Jun 2, 2011 — Most Latin American territories are experiencing a surge in digital television penetration, according to a new report from Digital TV Research. By 2016, the report forecasts that 71% of the region’s TV households will have digital TV.
News categories: Digital TV Research Ltd, Argentina, Brazil, Cable TV, Chile, Colombia, Digital TV, IPTV, Latin America, Market Research, Mexico, Satellite, Subscribers, Terrestrial
Pay-TV services market hits $240 billion
May 16, 2011 — Infonetics Research has released excerpts from its Cable, Satellite, and IPTV Video Services and Subscribers report, which tracks the telco Internet protocol television (IPTV), cable video, and satellite video markets.
News categories: Infonetics Research, Cable TV, IPTV, Market Research, Satellite, Subscribers
Nagra Secures More Than 10 Million DTV Devices In South America
Apr 12, 2011 — Nagra (SIX:KUD.S) has announced that its conditional access technology now secures more than ten million devices in South America. The majority of these devices are also enabled by the company’s OpenTV middleware.
News categories: Nagra, Conditional Access, Digital TV, Latin America, Market Research, Middleware, NABShow, Personal Video Recorder, Set Top Box
- End-to-End Solution for OTT and IPTV delivered by Motama
- nangu.TV launches recommendation engine
- Microsoft unveils Xbox One home entertainment system
- Canby Telcom to create video streaming service on Roku
- Pathé partners with Xstream for Widevine DRM on iOS and Android devices
- Isobar and SKY Brazil launch first ever record-via-twitter service
- TDS TV upgrades to Mediaroom 2.3
- Telekom Malaysia's HyppTV IPTV service to go nationwide
- Multiscreen video delivery via residential gateways a fast-growing trend
- ITU-IEC produces metadata standard for cross-platform IPTV
- TalkTalk is Britain's fastest growing new TV service
- Vodafone to use Deutsche Telekom network for IPTV in Germany
- More than 3,000 on-demand services in Europe
- Russia to add 900,000 IPTV subscribers in 2013
- Mobile TV & video viewers to exceed 2 billion by 2017
- 24% of Russian homes equipped for satellite TV reception
- Belkin launches Dyle™ Mobile TV Receiver for iPad/iPhone
- Eastern Europe to add 13 million digital TV homes in 2013
- Vivendi (Canal+, GVT) releases first quarter 2013 results
- Farncombe and Inview collaborate on OTT solutions for the LatAm market