Digital TV News: UPC
Dutch digital TV subscribers grow to 6.6 million in Q3
Nov 26, 2013 – The number of digital TV connections in the Netherlands grew by 1.0 percent during the third quarter of 2013 to 6.61 million on 30 September 2013. According to Telecompaper, digital TV is now used by 85.3 percent of TV subscribers in the Netherlands.
News categories: Telecompaper, Kamiel Albrecht, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, Netherlands, Satellite, Subscribers, Terrestrial
Switzerland's upc cablecom now offering replay function
Nov 18, 2013 – upc cablecom has announced that customers can watch programmes they have missed with up to 30 hours’ delay. Thanks to upc cablecom’s new replay function, all programmes can be paused, watched in slow motion, fast forwarded and rewound.
News categories: upc cablecom, Cable TV, Switzerland
Liberty Global extends its dominance in Europe
Nov 13, 2013 – Pay TV subscriptions for the 102 operators across 26 countries covered in a new report from Digital TV Research will increase from a collective 105.8 million in 2008 to 131.9 million in 2012 and onto 147.1 million by 2018.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Cable TV, Digital TV, Europe, IPTV, Market Research, Satellite, Subscribers
Massive boom forecast for connected TV
Oct 9, 2013 – The number of TV sets connected to the Internet will reach 759 million by 2018 for the 40 countries covered in the Connected TV Forecasts report, up from 115 million at end-2010 and the 307 million expected at end-2013.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, Smart TV
UPC DTH offers NEOTION CI+ 1.3 conditional access module
Sep 11, 2013 – Neotion has announced that it is making available to UPC DTH customers, through local distributors in both the Czech Republic and Slovakia, the first Conditional Access Module CI+ 1.3 that includes changeable personal profiles.
News categories: Neotion, UPC DTH, Czech Republic, Digital TV, Satellite, Slovakia, Smart card / CAM
Pay TV set top box market healthy, growth expected to 2016
Aug 20, 2013 – Global Pay TV set top box (STB) shipments continue to grow, with demand expected to peak at 180 million units in 2016, according to new research from Futuresource Consulting.
News categories: Futuresource Consulting, Digital TV, Market Research, Set Top Box
Horizon set-top box launches at UPC Ireland
Aug 12, 2013 – UPC has launched its Horizon TV service for the Irish market. Horizon TV provides HD channels as standard, recording for 4 shows at once, programme suggestions, TV to any screen & 100Mbps broadband via the new Horizon set top box.
News categories: UPC Ireland, Cable TV, Digital TV, Gateway, Ireland, Personal Video Recorder, Set Top Box
Sky Deutschland adds 47,900 customers in 2Q 2013
Aug 6, 2013 – Sky Deutschland has released results for the second quarter 2013. Net customer growth was 47,900 (Q2 2012: 47,100), bringing the total number of customers to 3,453,000 (Q2 2012: 3,132,000).
News categories: Sky Deutschland, Austria, Germany, Personal Video Recorder, Results, Satellite, Subscribers
- South Africa's Cabinet issues statement on conditional access
- Mongolia's MNBC migrates to DVB-T2 with Thomson video headend
- Qualy TV DTH arrives in Costa Rica
- Elliptic Technologies announces hardware-enforced content protection for Microsoft® PlayReady®
- Marvell unveils SoC for Google Services for Smart TVs with Hisense
- Bosnia's m:tel to upgrade IPTV service with Motorola
- Gartner says worldwide semiconductor revenue grew 5.2 percent in 2013
- LG to incorporate Qualcomm's AllJoyn into Smart TV platform
- Semiconductor sales recover in 2013
- Ono TV Online launches in Spain
- Rostelecom IPTV subscribers reach 2 million
- Sigma Designs announces turn-key hybrid set top box with Ginga
- SMiT launches CI+ 1.3 VoD CAM into Netherlands market
- INSIDE Secure protects premium mobile entertainment for Sky Italia
- Sequans and Huawei collaborate to advance LTE broadcast technology
- SmarDTV CI Plus modules for RCS & RDS pay TV in Romania and Hungary
- ATSC establishes Candidate Standard for Interactive TV
- Portugal adds 13,000 pay TV subscribers in 3Q 2013
- Smart TV market worth $265 billion by 2016
- New Zealand switches off analogue TV signal