HEVC Advance adds discounted royalty rate for cheaper STBsTuesday, October 24th, 2017
HEVC Advance Announces Revised Royalty Rates for Lower-Priced Devices
- Responding to the market, HEVC Advance announces discounted royalty rates designed to encourage and facilitate more rapid adoption of HEVC/H.265 among lower-priced devices
BOSTON — HEVC Advance, an independent licensing administrator, today announced that it has added a discounted royalty rate category for lower-priced set-top boxes, surveillance cameras and certain other devices, and simplified its Patent License Agreement (PPL) to reduce costs for licensees. These discounted royalty rates are the result of HEVC Advance’s continuous and active engagement with the marketplace and feedback from our existing and prospective licensees that reducing the cost of licensing for the lower-priced devices in these market segments will speed up their adoption of HEVC/H.265.
“Listening to the market and being willing to adjust in light of the evolving market environment is part of HEVC Advance’s commitment to facilitate the widespread adoption of HEVC/H.265, and providing royalty rates that balance licensor and licensee interests,” said HEVC Advance CEO, Peter Moller.
The discounted royalty rates apply to devices covered under the Connected Home and Other Devices Category that are sold at or under $40 per unit. Current licensees will be able to execute the new simplified PPL to incorporate the new rate structure. A summary of the updated royalty rate structure is available on the HEVC Advance website.
- Tenstorrent to build AI and RISC-V chiplets with LG for Smart TVs
- DISH brings its linear TV to the digital ad marketplace
- health tv launches first FAST channel with Amagi
- Number of UK SVOD homes falls in 1Q 2023
- inext signs Moldova distribution contract with DIGIMAX
- EL PAIS begins live broadcasts on its FAST channel with The Channel Store