Digital TV News: 3GPP
Fraunhofer IIS licenses MPEG-H Audio patents to Samsung
Jul 29, 2020 – Fraunhofer IIS has licensed its MPEG-H Audio patents to Samsung, allowing Samsung to manufacture products that feature MPEG-H Audio. MPEG-H Audio is specified in TV broadcast standards such as ATSC 3.0 and DVB as well as mobile standard 3GPP.
News categories: Fraunhofer IIS, Samsung, Stefan Geyersberger, Digital TV, Licensing, Patent, Worldwide
SK Telecom and Sinclair Broadcast launch ATSC 3.0 joint venture
Jan 13, 2020 – SK Telecom (NYSE: SKM) and Sinclair Broadcast (NASDAQ: SBGI) have announced Cast.era, a joint venture focused on cloud infrastructure for broadcasting, ultra-low latency over-the-top (OTT) broadcasting, and targeted advertising.
News categories: Sinclair Broadcast, SK Telecom, Kevin Gage, Lee Jong-min, Park Kyung-mo, Advertising, ATSC 3, CES2021, Content Distribution, Digital TV, OTT, USA
IPTV subscriptions and ARPU to drive pay TV growth in Japan
Oct 14, 2019 – GlobalData expects that a rise in IPTV subscriptions and increasing ARPU will drive growth in pay-TV service revenues in Japan through 2023. Fixed broadband expansion and rising adoption of OTT services will also increase revenue.
News categories: GlobalData, Hrushikesh Mahananda, Broadband, Digital TV, Japan, Market Research
5G-MAG launch puts media in the centre of 5G
Sep 13, 2019 – A 5G Media Action Group (5G-MAG) has been launched to provide a framework for all relevant stakeholders to collaborate on a market driven implementation of 5G in production and distribution of audiovisual media content and services.
News categories: European Broadcasting Union, 5G-MAG, Antonio Arcidiacono, 5G, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Europe, IBCShowcase, Worldwide
ONE Media 3.0 and Saankhya Labs to develop 5G broadcast offload platform
Jul 24, 2019 – ONE Media 3.0 (Nasdaq: SBGI) and Saankhya Labs have partnered to accelerate the development of a 5G Next Generation Broadcast Offload platform. The platform will enable 4G and 5G wireless operators to offload OTT and live content dynamically on to broadcast DTT networks.
News categories: Saankhya Labs, ONE Media, Parag Naik, Mark Aitken, 5G, ATSC 3, Content Distribution, Digital TV, India, Semiconductor, USA
SaT5G project demonstrates 5G over satellite use cases
Jun 19, 2019 – The SaT5G project has announced the operation of a number of successful demonstrations of 5G over satellite at the 2019 European Conference on Networks and Communications (EuCNC 2019) in Valencia, Spain.
News categories: SaT5G, Mike Fitch, Indran Sivarajah, 5G, Content Distribution, Satellite, Spain, Worldwide
KT launches world’s first commercial 5G network
Apr 12, 2019 – KT (KRX: 030200; NYSE: KT) has officially launched the world’s first nationwide commercial 5G wireless network in South Korea, ushering in a new era of super-fast and ultra-reliable connectivity for consumers and businesses.
News categories: KT Corp, Lee Pil-Jae, 5G, Content Distribution, Korea
5G market set to boom - but clarity is needed, IHS Markit says
Apr 11, 2019 – The stage is set for consumers finally to find out what the powerful next-generation mobile standard promises can bring: a technological advance that transforms virtually all aspects of human activity—how we experience life, conduct business, create goods, and build societies.
News categories: IHS Markit, Francis Sideco, 5G, Market Research, Smartphone, Worldwide
Rohde & Schwarz to present 5G Broadcast solution at NAB 2019
Apr 3, 2019 – At NAB 2019, Rohde & Schwarz will present a solution for the future transmission of media content with 5G Broadcast. By using a high-power high-tower network topology as an overlay for mobile networks, transmission will be significantly more efficient and cost-effective than before.
News categories: Rohde & Schwarz, 5G, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Mobile, NABShow, Worldwide
- iQIYI International available for ZEASN-based smart devices
- Growing demand for smart displays driving smart speaker sales
- Forthnet becomes part of United Group
- Anevia powers Skymedia's SkyGo service in Mongolia
- UK marketers expect to spend more on Advanced TV ads in the next 12 months
- NetRange moves browser to the Cloud for low-cost Smart TVs
- Over 13 billion Smart Home devices in use by 2025
- MultiChoice picks Metrological to deliver OTT services on DStv
- Oregan Networks builds on Amlogic's Android TV reference platform
- 61% of US broadband households subscribe to two or more OTT services
- 14% of Australians plan to cancel pay TV as a result of the pandemic
- Eutelsat 7/8°W predominant broadcast position for Egyptian TV homes
- NEXTGEN TV launches on local TV in Norfolk, VA
- Universal Electronics to launch Apple TV remote control for MVPDs
- Nielsen unveils new ID resolution system
- TeraVolt wins tender for development at ZDF Mediathek
- Ocilion delivers content recommendations with XroadMedia
- Mirada helps izzi bring Disney+ to Mexico
- Bitmovin adds VVC encoding support
- Verimatrix introduces watermarking for HTML5