Digital TV News: BSkyB
Subscriber numbers to fall for 40 of Europe's Pay TV operators
Oct 8, 2014 – A report from Digital TV Research forecasts that subscriber numbers will fall for 40 of Europe's pay TV operators between 2013 and 2020.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Cable TV, Digital TV, Digital TV Research Reports, Europe, IPTV, Market Research, Satellite, Subscribers, Terrestrial
Roku Announces ‘Roku Powered’ Program
Sep 8, 2014 – Roku has announced the introduction of the Roku Powered program. Aimed at Pay TV providers outside of the US, Roku is licensing its technology to enable providers to use the Internet to deliver customized entertainment to consumers.
News categories: Roku, Steve Shannon, Emma Lloyd, Digital TV, IBC, Middleware, Set Top Box, Streaming, Worldwide
SKY Italia subscriber base declines 25,000 in 2Q 2014
Aug 6, 2014 – Twenty-First Century Fox (NASDAQ: FOXA, FOX) has reported results for the quarter ended June 30, 2014. SKY Italia’s subscriber base declined by 25,000 during the quarter bringing total subscribers to 4.73 million.
News categories: Twenty-First Century Fox, SKY Italia, Sky Deutschland, Germany, Italy, Results, Satellite, Subscribers
UK first for silicon decoding of 4k using HEVC
May 20, 2014 – The DTG UK UHD Forum has hosted a UK first at the DTG Summit in London, demonstrating the live decoding and display of 10-bit 50Hz 2160p content compressed with HEVC - the first example of decoding using silicon in real time.
News categories: DTG, Broadcom, Simon Gauntlett, Rich Nelson, ANGA COM, Digital TV, Semiconductor, Set Top Box, UK
GTC to offer BSkyB TV entirely over fibre
Apr 8, 2014 – GTC and BSkyB (LSE:BSY) have announced that they have reached an agreement to provide customers on GTC's new-build fibre optic networks with premium TV, fixed-line home phone and broadband speeds of up to 300Mbps.
News categories: GTC, BSkyB, Andrew Robinson, Brendan Hegarty, Digital TV, Fibre, IPTV, UK
Pace preliminary results for the year ended 31 December 2013
Mar 4, 2014 – Pace (LSE: PIC) has announced its results for the year ended 31 December 2013. STB and Media Server revenues were up 8.4% to $1,979.6m in 2013, driven by demand for Media Servers in H1 2013 in North America and a number of new deployments in H2 2013.
News categories: Pace plc, Gateway, Middleware, Results, Set Top Box, Worldwide
Emerging markets driving growth in pay-TV market
Feb 18, 2014 – Infonetics Research has released excerpts from its 1st edition Pay TV Subscriber Database. The top 5 satellite providers by subscribers are DIRECTV US, DISH Network, DIRECTV Latin America, Tata Sky, and BSkyB.
News categories: Infonetics Research, Jeff Heynen, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, Satellite, Subscribers, Worldwide
EU investigates restrictions affecting cross border provision of pay TV services
Jan 13, 2014 – The European Commission has opened formal antitrust proceedings to examine certain provisions in licensing agreements between several major US film studios and the largest European pay-TV broadcasters.
News categories: European Commission, Digital TV, EU, Regulation
Liberty Global extends its dominance in Europe
Nov 13, 2013 – Pay TV subscriptions for the 102 operators across 26 countries covered in a new report from Digital TV Research will increase from a collective 105.8 million in 2008 to 131.9 million in 2012 and onto 147.1 million by 2018.
News categories: Cable TV, Digital TV, Digital TV Research Reports, Europe, IPTV, Market Research, Satellite, Subscribers
- Tata Sky expands quality and availability monitoring with DataMiner
- Slow recovery in European pay TV revenues expected
- Share of smart TVs and UHD TVs in Germany continues to grow
- Vewd enables Smart TV for pay TV operators with Vestel
- LG brings more content to third-party TVs powered by webOS
- 70% of audiences reached via streaming are not reachable via linear
- t4h. Android TV remote control for SKY Brasil
- ATEME joins Google Cloud Partner Advantage Program
- discovery+ to launch in Canada on October 19
- LiveRamp launches enhanced TV platform
- Comscore enables deduplicated ad campaigns on YouTube and YouTube TV
- Four Hartford TV stations launch NEXTGEN TV
- Vestel rolls out Red Bull TV app to Smart TVs across Europe
- Viaccess-Orca powers Vialis hybrid DTT/OTT service
- TalkTalk selects Netgem for launch of 4K TV service
- 39% of U.S. OTT viewers access video services for specific content
- 60% of UK marketers expect to spend more on Advanced TV
- Foxtel confirms syndication of Sky Glass streaming platform
- Survey highlights attraction of interacting with streaming video
- Yahoo and Tubi partner to streamline CTV ad buying