Digital TV News: CEA
U.S. has close to 300 OTT video services
Oct 20, 2020 – Research from Parks Associates shows that through Q3 2020, the number of OTT video services in the U.S. has more than doubled since 2014, currently reaching nearly 300 different services.
News categories: Parks Associates, Steve Nason, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, USA
EU imposes interim measures on Broadcom in TV chipset market
Oct 16, 2019 – The European Commission has ordered Broadcom to stop applying certain provisions contained in agreements with six of its main customers. This will prevent serious and irreparable harm to competition likely to be caused by Broadcom's conduct, which prima facie infringes EU competition rules.
News categories: European Commission, Broadcom, Digital TV, EU, Regulation, Semiconductor, Set Top Box
Sony captured 30% of VR hardware revenues in 2018
Aug 5, 2019 – Strategy Analytics' data on the VR headset market shows a decline in annual hardware revenues for the first time. The decline is confined to the low value segment however. The forecast shows continued growth in the Console and PC-tethered VR segments.
News categories: Strategy Analytics, David MacQueen, David Kerr, Market Research, VR, Worldwide
TV panel prices plunge in June
Jul 5, 2019 – According to WitsView, although the US-China trade dispute reached a ceasefire, TV brands have been engaging in preemptive stocking. This along with Samsung shutting down its Gen 8.5 L8-1-1 plant has caused TV panel prices to plunge in June.
News categories: WitsView, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart TV, Worldwide
Panel prices may drop below costs in 2H
Jul 1, 2019 – According to Witsview, despite the recent relaxation of the US-China trade dispute, demand for various end products in 2H will remain in a conservative mood until the situation becomes clear, leading to a less-than-expected restocking demand for panels.
News categories: TrendForce, Witsview, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart TV
FCC opens up for ATSC 3.0 license applications
May 23, 2019 – The Media Bureau of the U.S. Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has announced that it will begin accepting Next Generation Television (ATSC 3.0) license applications in the commission’s licensing and management system on May 28, 2019.
News categories: Federal Communications Commission, ATSC 3, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Regulation, USA
TELUS TV subscriber base up 17,000 in 1Q 2019
May 9, 2019 – TELUS has released results for the first quarter of 2019. In the quarter, the company added 17,000 TELUS TV customers to finish with a customer base of 1.1 million, up 11,000 year-on-year.
News categories: TELUS, Canada, Digital TV, IPTV, Results, Subscribers
Aire Networks adds forensic watermarking from Verimatrix
Feb 27, 2019 – Verimatrix has announced that Spanish network operator Aire Networks has extended its investment in its Video Content Authority System framework to maximize security for the TV Everywhere streaming offered by its Perseo TV premium OTT services.
News categories: Verimatrix, Aire Networks, Steve Oetegenn, Manuel Monserrate, Digital TV, MWC20, Spain, TV Everywhere, Watermarking
Taptica to acquire RhythmOne for $176m
Feb 4, 2019 – Taptica has announced the acquisition of RhythmOne for $176m in an all-stock deal. RhythmOne provides cross-screen solutions focused on connected TV. RhythmOne will be combined with Tremor Video DSP, which Taptica acquired in August 2017.
News categories: Taptica, RhythmOne, Ofer Druker, Eric Singer, Advertising, Digital TV, MandA, OTT, USA, Worldwide
- MENA pay TV revenues continue to fall
- FCA first automotive OEM with Alexa Custom Assistant
- Firstlight Media and NPAW optimise CDN switching for OTT providers
- ViacomCBS, DISH Media, Adcuratio enable broadcast inventory on MVPD STBs
- DoubleVerify earns MRC accreditation for CTV measurement
- Philco launches Roku TV lineup in Brazil
- Chips&Media introduces WAVE6 series of video codec IPs
- Worldwide semiconductor revenue up 7.3% in 2020
- Kantar expands TV audience measurement panel in Georgia
- TDS introduces live, streaming TV product
- LG announces 2021 NEXTGEN TVs
- GTPL Hathway digital CATV subscribers unchanged YoY at 7.35 million
- Nordic consumers’ media spend unaffected by the pandemic
- Amazon launches mobile-only video plan in India
- VUALTO event orchestration and DRM chosen for ITV Hub VOD delivery
- Nielsen now tracking premium theatrical films on VOD platforms
- rlaxx TV now available on Amazon Fire TV and Android TV
- SK Broadband selects NAGRA forensic watermarking for IPTV STBs
- MovieLabs updates Enhanced Content Protection specification
- 24i integrates Float Left Roku framework with its app platform