Digital TV News: European Commission
EU imposes interim measures on Broadcom in TV chipset market
Oct 16, 2019 – The European Commission has ordered Broadcom to stop applying certain provisions contained in agreements with six of its main customers. This will prevent serious and irreparable harm to competition likely to be caused by Broadcom's conduct, which prima facie infringes EU competition rules.
News categories: European Commission, Broadcom, Digital TV, EU, Regulation, Semiconductor, Set Top Box
Liberty Global Vodafone deal approved by European Commission
Jul 18, 2019 – European Commission has announced its final approval of the sale of Liberty Global’s operations in Germany, Hungary, Romania and the Czech Republic to Vodafone Group. The transaction, announced May 9, 2018, has a total enterprise value of approximately €19 billion [$21.5] billion, on a GAAP basis.
News categories: Liberty Global, European Commission, Vodafone, Mike Fries, Cable TV, Czech Republic, Digital TV, EU, Germany, Hungary, MnA, Regulation, Romania
EU opens antitrust investigation into Broadcom
Jun 26, 2019 – The European Commission has opened a formal antitrust investigation to assess whether, in TV and modem chipset markets, Broadcom may be restricting competition through exclusivity practices, in breach of EU rules.
News categories: European Commission, Margrethe Vestager, Digital TV, EU, Regulation, Semiconductor, Set Top Box
CANAL+ Group to acquire M7
May 27, 2019 – CANAL+ Group has announces the acquisition of M7, owned by Astorg. M7 is an aggregator and distributor of local and international channels via satellite and OTT platforms with a presence in the Netherlands, Belgium, Austria, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary and Romania.
News categories: CANAL+ Group, M7 Group, Maxime Saada, Jacques du Puy, Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Digital TV, Hungary, MnA, Netherlands, OTT, Romania, Satellite, Slovakia
EU opens competition investigation into Telia's acquisition of Bonnier Broadcasting
May 10, 2019 – The European Commission has opened an investigation to assess the proposed acquisition of Bonnier Broadcasting by Telia Company. The Commission is concerned that the merged entity may shut out competitors from the audio-visual sector in Finland and Sweden.
News categories: European Commission, Telia Company, Bonnier Broadcasting, Digital TV, Finland, MnA, Regulation, Sweden
Liberty Global organic video subscriber losses at 60,500 for 1Q 2019
May 6, 2019 – Liberty Global (NASDAQ: LBTYA, LBTYB and LBTYK) has announced its financial results for the first quarter of 2019. The company's Vodafone and Sunrise transactions remain on track to close during the summer of 2019 and Q4 2019, respectively.
News categories: Liberty Global, Mike Fries, Belgium, Cable TV, Czech Republic, Digital TV, Germany, Hungary, Ireland, Poland, Results, Romania, Satellite, Set Top Box, Slovakia, Subscribers, Switzerland, UK
Merger completed between Tele2 and T-Mobile in the Netherlands
Jan 2, 2019 – Tele2 (Stockholm: TEL2 A; TEL2 B) and Deutsche Telekom have completed the merger of their Dutch operations. Tele2 Netherlands (Tele2 NL) is absorbed by T-Mobile in the Netherlands (T-Mobile NL).
News categories: Tele2, T-Mobile, Anders Nilsson, MnA, Netherlands
EU agrees rules to facilitate access to online TV across borders
Dec 13, 2018 – EU negotiators have agreed on proposed copyright legislation for TV and radio programmes. The new rules will make it easier for European broadcasters to make programmes available on their live TV or catch-up services online, and will simplify distribution by retransmission operators.
News categories: European Commission, Andrus Ansip, Mariya Gabriel, Digital TV, EU, OTT, Regulation
EU to investigate acquisition by Vodafone of Liberty Global businesses
Dec 11, 2018 – The EU has opened an investigation to assess Vodafone's proposed acquisition of Liberty Global's business in Czechia, Germany, Hungary and Romania. The Commission is concerned the takeover may reduce competition in Germany and Czechia.
News categories: European Commission, Vodafone, Liberty Global, Margrethe Vestager, Cable TV, Czech Republic, Digital TV, EU, Germany, MnA
- iQIYI International available for ZEASN-based smart devices
- Growing demand for smart displays driving smart speaker sales
- Forthnet becomes part of United Group
- Anevia powers Skymedia's SkyGo service in Mongolia
- UK marketers expect to spend more on Advanced TV ads in the next 12 months
- NetRange moves browser to the Cloud for low-cost Smart TVs
- Over 13 billion Smart Home devices in use by 2025
- MultiChoice picks Metrological to deliver OTT services on DStv
- Oregan Networks builds on Amlogic's Android TV reference platform
- 61% of US broadband households subscribe to two or more OTT services
- 14% of Australians plan to cancel pay TV as a result of the pandemic
- Eutelsat 7/8°W predominant broadcast position for Egyptian TV homes
- NEXTGEN TV launches on local TV in Norfolk, VA
- Universal Electronics to launch Apple TV remote control for MVPDs
- Nielsen unveils new ID resolution system
- TeraVolt wins tender for development at ZDF Mediathek
- Ocilion delivers content recommendations with XroadMedia
- Mirada helps izzi bring Disney+ to Mexico
- Bitmovin adds VVC encoding support
- Verimatrix introduces watermarking for HTML5