Digital TV News: European Commission
EU approves Canal Digital-Viasat Consumer joint venture
Apr 30, 2020 – The European Commission has approved the combination of Canal Digital, Telenor Group’s satellite pay-TV business, with Viasat Consumer, Nordic Entertainment Group’s satellite pay-TV and broadband-TV business.
News categories: Telenor, NENT Group, Jørgen C. Arentz Rostrup, Denmark, Digital TV, IPTV, MandA, Norway, Regulation, Satellite, Sweden
EU consults on commitments offered by Broadcom in STB and modem markets
Apr 27, 2020 – The European Commission has invited comments from interested parties on commitments offered by Broadcom to address competition concerns in relation to Broadcom's conduct in various TV set-top box and modem chipset markets.
News categories: European Commission, Broadcom, Digital TV, EU, Regulation, Semiconductor, Set Top Box, Worldwide
EU clears Telia's acquisition of Bonnier Broadcasting with conditions
Nov 12, 2019 – The European Commission has approved, under the EU Merger Regulation, the proposed acquisition of Bonnier Broadcasting by Telia. The approval is conditional on full compliance with a commitments package offered by Telia.
News categories: European Commission, Telia, Bonnier Broadcasting, Digital TV, Finland, MandA, Sweden
Bitmovin receives €20 million of funding from EIB
Nov 12, 2019 – The European Investment Bank (EIB) is providing financing of up to €20 million to Bitmovin. The project will allow Bitmovin to strengthen its R&D and product development team in Austria and support investments in sales and marketing.
News categories: Bitmovin, EIB, Stefan Lederer, Andrew McDowell, Austria, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Finance, Worldwide
EU imposes interim measures on Broadcom in TV chipset market
Oct 16, 2019 – The European Commission has ordered Broadcom to stop applying certain provisions contained in agreements with six of its main customers. This will prevent serious and irreparable harm to competition likely to be caused by Broadcom's conduct, which prima facie infringes EU competition rules.
News categories: European Commission, Broadcom, Digital TV, EU, Regulation, Semiconductor, Set Top Box
Liberty Global Vodafone deal approved by European Commission
Jul 18, 2019 – European Commission has announced its final approval of the sale of Liberty Global’s operations in Germany, Hungary, Romania and the Czech Republic to Vodafone Group. The transaction, announced May 9, 2018, has a total enterprise value of approximately €19 billion [$21.5] billion, on a GAAP basis.
News categories: Liberty Global, European Commission, Vodafone, Mike Fries, Cable TV, Czech Republic, Digital TV, EU, Germany, Hungary, MandA, Regulation, Romania
EU opens antitrust investigation into Broadcom
Jun 26, 2019 – The European Commission has opened a formal antitrust investigation to assess whether, in TV and modem chipset markets, Broadcom may be restricting competition through exclusivity practices, in breach of EU rules.
News categories: European Commission, Margrethe Vestager, Digital TV, EU, Regulation, Semiconductor, Set Top Box
CANAL+ Group to acquire M7
May 27, 2019 – CANAL+ Group has announces the acquisition of M7, owned by Astorg. M7 is an aggregator and distributor of local and international channels via satellite and OTT platforms with a presence in the Netherlands, Belgium, Austria, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary and Romania.
News categories: CANAL+ Group, M7 Group, Maxime Saada, Jacques du Puy, Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Digital TV, Hungary, MandA, Netherlands, Romania, Satellite, Slovakia, Streaming
EU opens competition investigation into Telia's acquisition of Bonnier Broadcasting
May 10, 2019 – The European Commission has opened an investigation to assess the proposed acquisition of Bonnier Broadcasting by Telia Company. The Commission is concerned that the merged entity may shut out competitors from the audio-visual sector in Finland and Sweden.
News categories: European Commission, Telia Company, Bonnier Broadcasting, Digital TV, Finland, MandA, Regulation, Sweden
- Astro Malaysia goes live with Synamedia engagement analytics
- Nielsen enables 'Always On' YouTube ad measurement
- Xperi completes spin-off to become independent public company
- Digicel launches OTT and IPTV services in the Caribbean with mediaClass
- Vodafone Portugal to acquire Nowo
- Eurofins divests Digital Testing business
- Smart Home device growth slows along with global economy, says IDC
- U.S. streamers now only spend 1 in 3 hours using traditional platforms
- ContentBay launches, bringing content licensing into the digital era
- Qualcomm and Rohde & Schwarz unveil 5G Broadcast system at IMC22
- BIA/Madhive report examines growth in US OTT ad spending
- Roku enabled for four-screen measurement in Nielsen Total Ad Ratings
- Online video advertising to generate three times more revenue than SVOD in 2027
- FreeWheel and Comscore launch Connected TV contextual targeting
- Set-top box market contraction will stabilize post-2024
- Red Bee, Nowtilus and Equativ launch FAST channels on LG Smart TVs with High View
- Pixalate releases H1 2022 CTV ad supply chain trends report
- Amazon upgrades Fire TV Cube and Alexa Voice Remote
- Metaverse device installed base to reach 100 million in 2024
- Smart speaker shipments exceeded 33 million in 2Q 2022