Digital TV News: HTC
AR/VR headset demand expected to rebound in 2018
Mar 19, 2018 – Worldwide shipments for augmented reality (AR) and virtual reality (VR) headsets will grow to 68.9 million units in 2022 with a five-year compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 52.5%, according to IDC.
News categories: IDC, Jitesh Ubrani, Tom Mainelli, Digital TV, Market Research, VR, Worldwide
Telefónica presents its TV Virtual Experience project at MWC18
Feb 26, 2018 – At Mobile World Congress, Telefónica presented its TV Virtual Experience project, a way of watching TV based on virtual reality. The initiative capitalizes on the full potential of VR technology to access contents from Movistar+ and create 3D worlds.
News categories: Telefónica, Digital TV, MWC20, Spain, VR
CTA predicts record U.S. sales in 2018 for AR/VR
Jan 4, 2018 – Augmented reality (AR) and virtual reality (VR) technologies are positioned for record growth in 2018, according to the CTA. And the latest exhibitor update on CES 2018 shows a record-setting footprint for both AR and VR.
News categories: Consumer Technology Association, Karen Chupka, Mark Turner, CES2020, USA, VR
Quarterly VR headset shipments top 1 million for the first time
Nov 27, 2017 – Virtual reality headset shipments are showing no signs of slowing, as the quarterly total exceeded 1 million units for the first time in Q3 2017. Sony took the lead, shipping more than 490,000 PlayStation VR (PS VR) sets in the quarter.
News categories: Canalys, Jason Low, Vincent Thielke, Digital TV, Market Research, VR, Worldwide
Amazon announces cloud development platform for AR/VR
Nov 27, 2017 – Amazon Web Services (AWS) [NASDAQ:AMZN], has announced Amazon Sumerian, a service that makes it easy for any developer to build Virtual Reality (VR), Augmented Reality (AR), and 3D applications, and run them on mobile devices, head-mounted displays, digital signage, or web browsers.
News categories: Amazon Web Services, Marco Argenti, VR, Worldwide
HTC Vive announces open VR platform and standalone headset
Nov 14, 2017 – HTC has announced VIVE WAVE, a VR open platform and toolset that will open up the path to easy mobile VR content development. HTC has also unveiled VIVE FOCUS, a standalone VR headset for the China market that is also based on the Vive Wave VR open platform.
News categories: HTC Vive, Qualcomm, Alvin Wang Graylin, Hugo Swart, China, Semiconductor, VR
HTC VIVE and Accedo partner to accelerate VR UX innovation
Mar 29, 2017 – Accedo has announced that it is partnering with HTC VIVE to educate the video industry and accelerate VR innovation. The companies are also working with the Australian National Basketball League (NBL) to create user experiences for sporting events in VR.
News categories: Accedo, HTC VIVE, Australian National Basketball League, Fredrik Andersson, Rikard Steiber, Jeremy Loeliger, Digital TV, UX, VR, Worldwide
Augmented and VR headset market to reaching 99.4 million units in 2021
Mar 16, 2017 – New device launches, an expanding array of content for both consumer and enterprise users, and lower price points will propel the worldwide augmented and virtual reality headset device market at a breakneck pace, according to IDC.
News categories: International Data Corporation, Ramon Llamas, Jitesh Ubrani, Digital TV, Market Research, VR, Worldwide
Vimeo adds 360 video support
Mar 8, 2017 – Vimeo has introduced support for 360 video. Vimeo aims to provide a home for creators to learn new techniques, upload, share, and sell 360 videos, while viewers can discover 360 videos from the world’s best creators across multiple platforms.
News categories: Vimeo, Anjali Sud, Sara Poorsattar, Digital TV, OTT, VR, Worldwide
- Comscore finds U.S. VOD transactions peaked in April
- Vewd brings the full broadcast experience to Smart TVs
- Dataxis compares Europe, Latam with U.S. AVOD market
- HEVC Advance royalty rates to remain at current levels
- Alphonso signs ACR distribution deals with Seiki and Skyworth
- THEO Technologies and Synamedia form HESP Alliance
- U.S. consumers spend nearly seven hours per week watching online video
- NEXTGEN TV launches at four TV stations in Salt Lake City
- FCC designates Huawei and ZTE as national security threats
- STARZPLAY available from UPC Switzerland
- Verizon Media launches TV tune-in attribution with Inscape
- Eros Now partners with Dish TV India
- NexGuard watermarking integrated into AWS Elemental MediaConvert
- TRAI reports pay TV numbers for India at end-2019
- Altibox takes Verimatrix security into the Cloud
- Consolidated Communications introduces CCiTV in Texas
- Brat TV chooses Amagi to expand streaming TV footprint
- Churn rate for U.S. OTT services at 41% in Q1 2020
- Origin Broadband launches Origin TV in the UK with Netgem
- Mobile operators to generate 170 million SVOD subscribers