Digital TV News: HTC Vive
Amazon announces cloud development platform for AR/VR
Nov 27, 2017 – Amazon Web Services (AWS) [NASDAQ:AMZN], has announced Amazon Sumerian, a service that makes it easy for any developer to build Virtual Reality (VR), Augmented Reality (AR), and 3D applications, and run them on mobile devices, head-mounted displays, digital signage, or web browsers.
News categories: Amazon Web Services, Marco Argenti, VR, Worldwide
HTC VIVE and Accedo partner to accelerate VR UX innovation
Mar 29, 2017 – Accedo has announced that it is partnering with HTC VIVE to educate the video industry and accelerate VR innovation. The companies are also working with the Australian National Basketball League (NBL) to create user experiences for sporting events in VR.
News categories: Accedo, HTC VIVE, Australian National Basketball League, Fredrik Andersson, Rikard Steiber, Jeremy Loeliger, Digital TV, UX, VR, Worldwide
Vimeo adds 360 video support
Mar 8, 2017 – Vimeo has introduced support for 360 video. Vimeo aims to provide a home for creators to learn new techniques, upload, share, and sell 360 videos, while viewers can discover 360 videos from the world’s best creators across multiple platforms.
News categories: Vimeo, Anjali Sud, Sara Poorsattar, Digital TV, OTT, VR, Worldwide
Clear potential for VR headsets after a slow start
Feb 23, 2017 – CCS Insight's latest forecast for VR and AR devices reflects the relatively slow start to this nascent market. However, CCS Insight continues to believe the segment holds great potential and can deliver healthy growth over the next five years and beyond.
News categories: CCS Insight, Ben Wood, Market Research, VR, Worldwide
Google dominates VR headset shipments
Feb 21, 2017 – 2016 saw the launch of multiple new VR platforms. Strategy Analytics estimates that over 30 million VR headsets shipped, split between 6 major competing VR platforms in an increasingly fragmented landscape.
News categories: Strategy Analytics, David MacQueen, Cliff Raskind, Market Research, MWC20, VR, Worldwide
Australian sales of VR headsets exceed 200,000 units in 2016
Feb 21, 2017 – Sales of virtual reality headsets are off to a strong start in Australia with more than 200,000 units sold in 2016 with mobile VR taking around 70 per cent share of units sold, according to Telsyte.
News categories: Telsyte, Foad Fadaghi, Australia, Market Research, VR
Nokia OZO partners with Youku for 3D 360 VR creation
Jan 5, 2017 – Nokia has announced that Youku has chosen the Nokia OZO VR ecosystem of technologies to bring VR content to the more than 500 million monthly active users engaged in its premier online video platform.
News categories: Nokia, Youku, Paul Melin, Jerry Li, Apps, CES2021, China, Digital TV, OTT, VR
AR/VR headsets shipments expected to grow at a 5 year CAGR of 108.3%
Dec 15, 2016 – According to IDC, worldwide AR and VR headset shipments are expected to see a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 108.3% over 2015-2020, reaching 76.0 million units by 2020. The more affordable VR devices will continue to lead the market in terms of volume.
News categories: International Data Corp, Ryan Reith, Jitesh Ubrani, Tom Mainelli, Market Research, VR, Worldwide
Global Virtual Reality Association formed
Dec 7, 2016 – Acer Starbreeze, Google, HTC VIVE, Facebook’s Oculus, Samsung, and Sony Interactive Entertainment have announced the creation of a non-profit organization to promote the growth of the global virtual reality industry.
News categories: Global Virtual Reality Association, Digital TV, VR, Worldwide
- RTL AdConnect and smartclip team up on addressable advertising
- TV markets growing in Central Asia driven by OTT and mobile
- Competition driving OTT TV & video subscription growth
- WarnerMedia taps Alpha Networks to power UX for Toonami Max
- Wyplay becomes Alexa Solution Provider
- Sky Media appoints TVbeat as TV data verification partner
- Amazon wins as British viewers are desperate for more sport
- Netflix releases 4Q 2020 results
- Pearl TV broadcasters welcome FCC easing of SFN regulations
- Paramount+ from ViacomCBS to launch on March 4th
- Firstlight Media builds OTT platform on Google Cloud
- Cogeco EPICO IPTV service launched
- Enghouse and Access Communications offer hosted TV services in Canada
- MENA pay TV revenues continue to fall
- FCA first automotive OEM with Alexa Custom Assistant
- Firstlight Media and NPAW optimise CDN switching for OTT providers
- ViacomCBS, DISH Media, Adcuratio enable broadcast inventory on MVPD STBs
- DoubleVerify earns MRC accreditation for CTV measurement
- Philco launches Roku TV lineup in Brazil
- Chips&Media introduces WAVE6 series of video codec IPs