Digital TV News: Hulu
47% of US broadband households subscribe to Prime Video
Jun 2, 2021 – Parks Associates research shows that 47% of US broadband households currently subscribe to Amazon Prime Video. The content rights deal between Amazon and the NFL will help increase the service’s uptake.
News categories: Parks Associates, Steve Nason, Digital TV, Market Research, Streaming, USA
Major U.S. pay TV providers lost 1,895,000 subscribers in 1Q 2021
May 19, 2021 – Leichtman Research Group (LRG) hasfound that the largest pay-TV providers in the U.S. lost about 1,895,000 net video subscribers in 1Q 2021, compared to a pro forma net loss of about 1,955,000 in 1Q 2020.
News categories: Leichtman Research, Bruce Leichtman, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, Satellite, Streaming, Subscribers, USA
Disney+ ends 1Q 2021 with 103.6 million subscribers
May 13, 2021 – The Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS) has reported results for its quarter ended April 3, 2021. Average monthly revenue per paid subscriber for Disney+ decreased YoY from $5.63 to $3.99 due to the launch of Disney+ Hotstar.
News categories: Walt Disney, Digital TV, India, Results, Streaming, Subscribers, USA, Worldwide
Comcast launches Disney+ and ESPN+ on Xfinity
Mar 29, 2021 – Comcast and The Walt Disney Company have announced the start of the rollout of Disney+ and ESPN+ on Xfinity. Disney+ and ESPN+ join a growing collection of streaming services available over the Internet on X1 and Flex.
News categories: Comcast, The Walt Disney Company, Rebecca Heap, Michael Paull, Apps, Digital TV, Set Top Box, Streaming, USA
Disruptel gets seed funding for content-driven voice assistant
Mar 12, 2021 – Disruptel has completed a $1.15 million seed funding round. The company's Context product, allows users to ask questions about the content on their Connected TVs through their remote control and receive immediate answers.
News categories: Disruptel, Alex Quinn, Digital TV, UX, Venture Capital, Worldwide
U.S. pay TV providers lost over 5 million subscribers in 2020
Mar 4, 2021 – Leichtman Research Group (LRG) has found that the largest pay-TV providers in the U.S. lost about 5,120,000 net video subscribers in 2020, compared to a pro forma net loss of about 4,795,000 in 2019.
News categories: Leichtman Research, Bruce Leichtman, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Satellite, Streaming, Subscribers, USA
Disney+ ends 2020 with 94.9 million subscribers
Feb 11, 2021 – The Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS) has reported earnings for the quarter ended January 2, 2021. Disney+ had 94.9 million subscribers on January 2, 2021, up from 26.5 million at the end of 2019.
News categories: Walt Disney Company, Digital TV, Results, Streaming, Subscribers, USA, Worldwide
U.S. vMVPDs likely to gain subscribers from traditional pay TV
Jan 28, 2021 – Research from Parks Associates reveals 43% of US broadband households with traditional pay TV are likely to switch to a virtual multichannel video programming distributor (vMVPD) in the next 12 months.
News categories: Parks Associates, Paul Erickson, Digital TV, Market Research, Streaming, USA
Competition driving OTT TV & video subscription growth
Jan 21, 2021 – According to Juniper Research, competition in the OTT streaming market is motivating providers to seek alternative revenue channels with the market seeing greater experimentation with hybrid monetisation models.
News categories: Juniper Research, Digital TV, Market Research, Streaming, Worldwide
- ATEME embeds Viaccess-Orca contribution watermarking
- Deloitte releases results of Digital Media Trends Fall Pulse survey
- RFE receives Android TV Operator Tier certification for IPTV STB
- Disney+ coming to Hisense and Toshiba TVs with VIDAA Smart OS
- Tremor International acquires Spearad
- TekSavvy TV footprint expands across Canada
- Airtel launches Video Platform as a Service product
- Comcast launches Smart TVs based on its XClass TV platform
- ViacomCBS and Altice USA renew distribution agreement
- OTT now at 82% consumer saturation in the U.S.
- MultTV and MwareTV launch multi-tenant TV as a Service in Brazil
- discovery+ now available on LG Smart TVs in the U.S.
- HBO Max to be available at Telia from October 26
- Tata Sky expands quality and availability monitoring with DataMiner
- Slow recovery in European pay TV revenues expected
- Share of smart TVs and UHD TVs in Germany continues to grow
- Vewd enables Smart TV for pay TV operators with Vestel
- LG brings more content to third-party TVs powered by webOS
- 70% of audiences reached via streaming are not reachable via linear
- t4h. Android TV remote control for SKY Brasil