Digital TV News: Inception
ACCESS CO. and EKT integrate the NetRange Application Store
Sep 13, 2019 – ACCESS CO. and EKT have announced that they are extending their partnership to integrate the NetRange Application Store, a widely deployed Smart TV store with a worldwide catalogue of thousands of apps, to deliver next generation TV and OTT consumer experiences.
News categories: ACCESS CO, EKT, Netrange, Dr. Neale Foster, Richard Smith, Apps, Digital TV, HbbTV, Set Top Box
Cifra and Flussonic offer integrated IPTV/OTT solution
Jul 17, 2019 – Cifra and Flussonic have launched a project involving the installation of DRM and IPTV middleware on client devices using the Flussonic Media Server broadcasting platform. The integrated solution will make it possible to offer commercial OTT or IPTV streaming.
News categories: Flussonic, Cifra, Content Distribution, Digital TV, DRM, IPTV, Middleware, OTT, Russia
Hulu U.S. customer base passes 28 million
May 1, 2019 – At 'Hulu '19 Presentation', Hulu revealed continued rapid growth, new original programming and talent deals that expand its content offering, as well as brand initiatives, advertising products and UX enhancements that bolster its goal of becoming the #1 choice for TV.
News categories: Hulu, Randy Freer, Advertising, Digital TV, OTT, Subscribers, USA
ACCESS acquires NetRange
Apr 16, 2019 – ACCESS Europe has acquired NetRange. The acquisition guarantees that the company’s customers will be able to deploy solutions spanning the entire connected entertainment portfolio inside the home, on-the-go and in connected vehicles.
News categories: ACCESS CO, NetRange, Dr. Neale Foster, Jan Wendt, Digital TV, In-Car, MnA, OTT, Smart TV, Worldwide
MultiChoice lists on the Johannesburg Stock Exchange
Feb 27, 2019 – MultiChoice Group Limited (MCG) has listed on the Johannesburg Stock Exchange (JSE). The listed MCG includes MultiChoice South Africa (MCSA), MultiChoice Africa Holdings (MAH), Showmax, as well Irdeto, and all their subsidiaries and affiliates.
News categories: MultiChoice, Naspers, Irdeto, Calvo Mawela, Bob van Dijk, Africa, Content Protection, Digital TV, Finance, OTT, Satellite, South Africa, Worldwide
Cisco releases Mobile Visual Networking Index (VNI) update
Feb 19, 2019 – At the inception of Cisco's Mobile Visual Networking Index more than a decade ago, mobile traffic represented less than 5% of total IP traffic crossing global networks. Today, the role and reliance placed on mobile networking has dramatically increased.
News categories: Cisco Systems, Jonathan Davidson, 5G, Digital TV, Market Research, Mobile, MWC19, Worldwide
NHK partners with Eutelsat to launch world’s first 8K channel
Dec 3, 2018 – NHK has partnered with Eutelsat (NYSE: ETL) to launch the world’s first 8K network: BS8K. A live broadcast took place on December 2nd from the Vatican where images were transmitted to Tokyo via EUTELSAT 12 West B with an uplink provided by M-three Satcom.
News categories: Eutelsat, NHK, M-three Satcom, Gerry O’Sullivan, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Japan, Satellite
RDK launches App Program for service providers
Sep 18, 2018 – RDK Management has unveiled an app program to make it easier to develop and launch apps for RDK-based STBs. Service providers can use a new RDK App Framework to build their own, or choose a pre-integrated solution such as the Metrological App Store.
News categories: RDK Management, Metrological, Steve Heeb, Jeroen Ghijsen, Apps, Digital TV, RDK, Set Top Box, Worldwide
ACCESS and Foxxum provide UX solution for AOSP smart TVs
Sep 10, 2018 – ACCESS and Foxxum have announced a collaboration to offer UIs for services based on Linux for Android Open Source Project (AOSP). The solution enables operators to offer smart TV UXs that rival Android TV and proprietary solutions.
News categories: ACCESS CO, Foxxum, Dr Neale Foster, Ronny Lutzi, Android TV, Digital TV, HTML5, IBC2019, Smart TV, UX, Worldwide
- Roku OS 9.2 to begin rollout
- Roku announces new streaming player line-up for UK
- Eros Now to develop online video platform with Microsoft
- FourthWall Media introduces Reveal 5 TV analytics and optimization platform
- Hearst Television moves to impressions-based selling of Local TV ad inventory
- Roku releases U.S. cord-cutting study
- Facebook introduces Portal TV set-top box
- CTA launches 8K Ultra HD logo program
- SVOD subscriptions soar by 38% in 2018
- Subscriptions now account for nearly 86% of US internet TV and movie spending
- NBCUniversal streaming service to be called 'Peacock'
- Vizio adds additional Alexa capabilities to SmartCast TVs
- LIWEST latest Austrian operator to deploy IPTV with Verimatrix and Ocilion
- Channel 4 to use Sky's AdSmart technology
- TV penetration in Sub-Saharan Africa still low
- Amazon Prime Video to be made available on Altice One
- NEOTION renews partnership with Irdeto
- Online video viewing to reach 100 minutes a day in 2021
- Irdeto secures Airtel Xstream 4K set-top box
- Netgem and Sharp release smart soundbar for telcos